Programming the Blockchain

>be a college dropout
>drive a truck OTR for a year and some change
>invest $2k into crypto back in april
>now it's close to $100k
>quit mindless redneck job to be NEET
>want to contribute to blockchain development in any capacity
>have basic knowledge of C++ syntax from years ago

My goal is to establish my own version of a fully functional encrypted blockchain. As a holder of cryptocurrency, I've been monitoring it closely, though not at a very technical level, moreso on the abstract.

Where do I even begin? I have glanced at the source on github, but quite frankly, I get lost in all the files. I've looked at tutorials to refresh my C++ skillset, but every time I do, I realise its shit I already know and I feel like I'm wasting my time doing helloworld.cpp and the like.

I have ubuntu on my lenovo and windows on my big puter, but I can't even decide where to begin. And then there's the whole idea of trying to grasp the flow of control and the client/server relationship of a blockchain. I mean, I might sound like I'm in over my head, and I may be. But ffs, I coded an isometric tiling engine utilizing multidimensional arrays, opengl, and windows api back when I was 15 (31 now). This surely isn't THAT complicated, is it?

What should I do? Where should I begin? I'm thinking I should probably figure out how to clone the source but I can't seem to grasp what I need to do that, and where to start, and I'd much rather start from scratch than monkey around with someone elses spaghetti code. (I feel I learn better this way)

I'm not against maybe taking a class or something, but I know I'd be in semester three of that shit and they'd still be teaching us about pointers and conditionals and other rudimentary shit.

Any advice?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Qte-x6Nc2Kc
discordapp.com/channels/382937847893590016
discordapp.com/invite/R8v48YA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

lol faggot

Cryptocurrency in general is why any single crypto is destined to fail.
Maybe, just maybe there could have been some delusional point of comparing bitcoin to gold based on finite amount, but the objective counter to that is people didn't start making counterfeit gold en masse. That there'd be a finite amount of bitcoin is meaningless when any shitter can and has created a new crypto with their own finite limits, which spirals to infinite supply of any coin.

The shit has always been for criminals and jews for shit like money laundering. The successful criminals are the ones who don't associate with other criminals. The successful businessmen are the ones who name the jew.

Hit up solidity documentations. Starting a blockchain from scratch is waste of time and pointless most of the time.

thanks, checking it out rn

>Starting a blockchain from scratch is waste of time
You don't think there's any value in learning how to create one and facing some of the same problems other dev teams have faced in the past? I feel like I learn horizontally, meaning I have to grasp the bigger picture of how everything relates before I can focus in and hohn my ability on some niche area of a project. Often times I prefer to reinvent the wheel, and find that if I can manage to do it, I have a far greater understanding than if I were to just leap ahead to things that are only relevant to my endgame.

>The shit has always been for criminals and jews for shit like money laundering.
Bitcoin is mainstream now. Fucking overstock.com accepts bitcoin. Steam used to accept bitcoin until some time last week when technical difficulties forced them to stop.

It's not nearly as mainstream as actual fiat currency, for one.
For two, this aspect of popularity doesn't mean it's main use isn't for money laundering and black market purchases.
Before crypto, there weren't many options for laundering, and most involved physical movement of fiat investments. Thanks to crypto, money laundering has joined the fast digital age of value transfer up in the ranks with credit, debit cards, and impersonsal non-physical online purchases. It's the criminal's wet dream to hide behind something many other people would not identify the value of.

Normielets only get hooked into it by being stupid and gullible by misdirection.

>I realise its shit I already know and I feel like I'm wasting my time doing helloworld.cpp and the like.
You do realise there's a lot of knowledge between hello world and a cryptocoin right?

Do you understand templates, polymorphism, encapsulation, design patterns, code design and architecture, encryption methods?
If you don't you have to learn about that before even trying to make sense of bitcoin's source code.

More importantly, the source code by itself is useful but it's not that useful, especially if you're not very experienced. Software engineers have a lot of design documents explaining at a higher level how the classes interact with each other, how methods are designed, etc. An engineer who would start working on BTC wouldn't start by looking at the code, he would start by looking at the design and architecture documents. Then what makes you think that you as a beginner can grasp how it works just because you have access to the source?

You can definitely learn to make one, but not by nosediving into the source code.

Since you asked where to begin, then books and online courses from MIT and the like. You are probably too advanced to watch dumb youtube tutorials, the next step is university level education and even as a NEET you have access to it if you bother to search

awesome this was actually the kind of response I was looking for... I've dabbled around with MIT opencourseware but its been a while. There is a lot there and I'm not sure of a good entry point but I guess only I could know where I'm at.

Those topics you mentioned are actually all things I do need to look at...it's hard to know what you don't know until someone mentions it. But yeah that sounds about like what I should probably be doing next in terms of educating myself.

Can you recommend any good books? Any go-to text for learning C++? I imagine some are pretty dated by now. Also do you know of any good books about the blockchain? (more in a technical or reference capacity)

thanks

I don’t know almost anything about crypto coins, but expect some probability being involved. Calculus, some linear algebra and an in depth course in probabilities and statistics may be necessary.

As far as C++, MIT and Yale have good courses. Check out their intro course, then algorithms and data structures for sure. I would say algos and data structures will be your most important courses ever. The algorithms course at MIT is top tier. Data structures too, for example do you know what a Bloom filter is? They are used in crypto currencies and that’s the kind of stuff you learn in the aforementioned courses.

As far as books go, I suggest starting with Cose Clean, Software engineering best practices, and a ton more.

Remember you can download these books at gen lib for free. Once you read these two, you will know what to study next

I assume you mean Clean Code by Robert C. Martin? I actually remember parts of this one from years ago.

My coding has always been OCD in that I use a lot of white space and generally have more commentation than I do actual code but I'm definitely going to reread this one, because I don't think I finished it iirc.

Is there any good resource that kind of explains general practices and conventions of working with others through places like gitHub and the like? Kind of with a focus on open-source? Like how are projects usually organized and how are things delegated? What roles do individual programmers have generally, in the scope of a large project such as Bitcoin or something similar? Is it mostly volunteers contributing quick bug-fixes and patches? How much of a role does a core team take on in terms of deciding the direction of a project?

Good luck fren

Is there any real reason to use an IDE versus using vim/gcc?

If you enjoy working on VIM that's great, but your code won't suddenly become better or worse because you're using one software or the other. In the end the finished product will be the same, it's just that if you are willing to put months of sweat then VIM will be more efficient down the road. But is it worth it? I don't think so, people who are actually more efficient with VIM that with an IDE are people for whom VIM is almost a hobby.
I would much rather brush up on useful things such as math or software engineering concepts if I had the free time to spend getting better at VIM.

Besides, you could argue that VIM has faster autocompletion and so on that an IDE like Visual Studio, but when you install plugins such as VAssist then VIM starts losing that edge

>This surely isn't THAT complicated, is it?
Calculus looks hard to a high school student, but its not hard to someone that knows it, its just a build up of knowledge. Its hard for us to tell you where you're at or how hard this will be.

I know you probably feel like too much of an old fag but why not go back to college and work on a CS degree now that you have money?
I can only speak for myself, but I found when I tried to learn this stuff on my own the way you are now I could never really progress. I am in my 3rd year of college now and I really can't fathom how I could have learned all of the mathematics/data structures/algorithms that I have without the coursework "pushing" me along.
>t. guy who is 10 years older than everyone else in his class

Really? In my case I always end up learning the course through other means because I feel like my professors are pretty weak. The only good thing about university is that you have a very big incentive to finish and if you're a NEET studying by yourself you are more likely to give up.

I do smart contract programming on NEO and do a youtube video series using C#

youtu.be/Qte-x6Nc2Kc

Python and some Javascript is also possible.

Here the open source community discord
discordapp.com/channels/382937847893590016

Would you recommend NEO over Ethereum for smart contract programming? I'm already assuming that you have NEO bags.

Also, your discord link doesn't work. A programmer who can't link properly isn't exactly inspiring.

OP here. Actually it's looking like classes could help. A degree program? I'll pass.

Gonna watch these, thanks. How long have you been developing/learning? What kind of background do you have? What is your end-game? What are your goals within the crypto community? This is definitely interesting. Thanks.

This should do
discordapp.com/invite/R8v48YA
They just switched from Slack to Discord a month ago.

Also, I'm not a progrmamer. But for example, last month they finished a smart competition where the top 10 people won $20,000 and only 17 people even handed in a script. Mind you, as of today, created 5 billion dollar total (and even this year, 1 NEO went from 15c to $50), so they have the money.

>How long have you been developing/learning?
On NEO, 3 months.
>What kind of background do you have?
I'm a theoretical physicist.
>What is your end-game? What are your goals within the crypto community?
Right now, I want to develope a decentralized voting platform. If you're interested, tell me your name on Discord and I write you.

I got into it because I like Python and the Ethereum market cap is already 20 times that of NEO. All those crytpos will double in worth within a few months, so it doesn't really matter where you put your money in.

>decentralized voting platform
Sounds great, name is de4dw4ve

Sorry about the snark, and thanks for the working link.