Why is Hamlet such a huge figure in literature? Bloom seems obsessed with him as the pinnacle of character

Why is Hamlet such a huge figure in literature? Bloom seems obsessed with him as the pinnacle of character.

What makes Hamlet the character so great?

His mom's a cunt and he's edgy and autistic like me

He's self-aware.

He was the realest nigga

Hamlet is overrated desu.

I had to read it and The Merchant of Venice years ago back in HS, and I enjoyed Shylocks own self destruction more than Hamlet pretending to be mad and then Ophelia offing herself because of him.

The Ghost and Graveyard scenes are pure Veeky Forums though in fairness.

>pretending to be mad
>pretending
Pleb.

>I read it once as a dumb teenager and therefore he is bad

Ah, unfortunately it would seem you are the pleb..

This
Pretty much every character since owes a debt to him.

Don't people jerk off about Don Quixote being the first self-aware / modern character? Why not with Hamlet?

Quixote isn't self aware though. The importance of DQ is unquestionable though especially because of its author's awareness versus the character's. Hamlet is analytical and disbelieving and has an ego which he examines himself

Haven't read the Don yet, but I thought he had moments of self awareness, and it was supposed to be kinda clear he knows he's pretending. That's just what I've heard though, I don't know for myself.

wut

Psychoanalysts wanted to prove they could contribute to lit crit, but they're basically wrong about how to conceptualize theater. Elinor Fuchs writes about this in Death of Character.

no he's clearly a nutcase, the novel as a whole is self aware though of various themes in literature up until then.

Of what?

No, he's self aware, and because of that he's a nutcase. He's hardcore, crazy LARPing.
I can't remember the exact chapter but is the scene in which he yells "I can't take it anymore" or something like that to a couple of guys who are trapped near the enchanted boat, part II. Montesinos cave gives insight into his self awareness too.

god you guys can be idiots

you're touching on the right argument but it's more than that, Hamlet is aware of himself in a fiction and goes past that; his despair seems to come from the paralysis that this knowledge gives him. The play still moves forward and all of Hamlet's complaining is directly an affront or response to structures within the play (the dramatic ironies, the deux de machina, the play within a play, mise en abîme, as well as disillusionment/loss of empathy with the other characters because they are "characters"). If you want to know why Bloom has such a hard on for Hamlet it's somewhat related to the fact that Bloom is a huge Frued dude and Hamlet is ripe for forming the quasi-statistical approaches to oedipal complexes that made Bloom a household name in the first place

stop using terms like overrated, the way that the text has itself been bastardized the way it has the past 40 years (text in the most broad sense, not just hamlet) does not mean that you should impose those views onto the text itself, but yeah, the graveyard scene is gorgeous

the measure of how well done Hamlet and Don Quixote are done as characters shouldn't be reduced to this badgering of "he was MORE self aware" (whatever the FUCK that means when you're comparing a fairly minimalistic play to the clusterfuck of narratives that is Cervantez). think about how these characters instead engage with the text, bearing their awareness in mind as they do so. Both these characters are excellent because their motivations are clearly defined yet their actions, seeming to betray these same motivations, are commentaries on the consequences of these same motivations and show the sort of "paradise fallen" aspect of bringing idealic forms/ideas/utopian schticks into the real world and seeing them fail.

>Don Quixote the first self-aware character
>literally is delusional for the entire novel

Do you even read?

Yesterday I saw some Veeky Forums posters frowning upon the posts that linked Tolkien and LOTR to christianity. And the day before there was a The Metamorphosis thread just dumb in which the posters were arguing over the insect transformation not only missing the point but butchering completely the work.

And now there is this post that reminds me of why I still like to browse Veeky Forums, sometimes you find jewels among all the glass.

>sometimes you find jewels among all the glass
And other times you find jews among all the gas. Who knows what each day will bring? Just be you're self one step at a time.

I pooped my pants two days ago.

log off

Do you think we're on Reddit or something?

> log off
the computer, not the forum

Who are you quoting?

sounds interesting, could you give some more detail?

Literally three posts above yours.

What did he mean by this?

sounds interesting, could you give some more detail?

Don't forget when the Duke and duchess take him in and pamper him and he, for the first time, really starts believing he's actually a knight

SELF-aware

Self-aware of what?

Fuck off Shakespeare

kys

Depth and intrigue, it's that simple. Multidimensional characters that are intelligent yet still have glaring faults are necessary for a great tragedy.

All of you, what's the best spanish version of Don Quijote?

I share the same philosophy w/ really long posts, but really nigga? u find that long?