Be TA

>be TA
>cheating is rampant in the class
>don't directly report it, but casually bring it up a few times
>eventually my hand is forced and I report cheating to the professor
>He lets it slide because he got eviscerated on his student feedback last year and he wants them to be good this year

He has tenure... what the fuck is this shit?

don't report it, just give them zero points

Everyone cheats in college, even if it's a little bit. You have access to the internet in the real world. Developing original ideas and team work are more valuable skills than memorizing something to get a question right. Along with on the spot problem solving.

>tfw this is actually true

im a TA in one class, graded hw & labs.
>realize a guy cheating like fucking crazy literally handing in hand-copied answer keys for homework
>wonder if i should report him but don't
>he gets 50's on each of the two midterms and a 25 on the final
have to admit i chuckled when i saw it

t. Brainlets

>be TA
>grade a group project
>50%
>students complain to professor about grade
>professor asks me to regrade and "be gentler" this time around
>was TA for same class last year
>realize they have copy pasted a project from last year
>show professor
>"Ahh don't worry about it... can you still bump them a few points though? dont want to put any of them at risk of failing"

Is this some SJW shit or something? what in the fuck is going on

>Everyone cheats in college
t.brainlet fuckup

jesus christ. I'd do my job and ignore the professor

>Is this some SJW shit or something
How diverse was the group? It's most likely that professors get feedback on their class performance and they don't want to look bad

>be TA
>Senior-level required lab course for physics majors at Ivy-league university
>student turns in only one of required 9 labs all semester
>professor says "yeah he did this last year too. I failed him then, but I can't do it again or else he can't graduate. Just give him a C-"

If the professor gets bad reviews, they could lose their position

t. me and a bunch of classmates wrote huge rants and 1*s about a professor on the anonymous review at the end of the semester who loaded us down with useless homework and papers and made the TA grade it all
>he's no longer a professor at the university

Might not be due to all of our bad reviews but I can't see it being a positive mark on his record. Fuck him for getting $90,000 a year just to read lectures from a book and make some poor grad student grade all our useless shit

That's why every professor nowadays offers bonus points and extended due dates galore. The higher the grades = the better the reviews.

>everybody needs college for a job
>everybody goes to college
>anybody who flunks out can't get a job and is ruined by debt
>schools make it harder for brainlets to flunk out
>students realize this and get lazy

Higher education was better in the past because it didn't have to be accessible to everyone. If college wasn't a required stage of the middle to upper class life cycle, this shit wouldn't fly.

This.

>(((ivy league)))

Only brainlets never cheat.

explain your reasoning

if they fail they can retake. If they get a C then they have to live with that

I never cheated and I'm doing great. Cheating early on means you don't learn as well, and later on you're fucked.

That's a big part of it
People see college as a requirement and a bureaucratic check-box rather than an opportunity to explore and study what they want and find interesting.
People only go to college to try to improve their lot in life rather than to do what a college is actually good for: learn and discover themselves and an aspect of the world.
They put in the minimum effort to get the degree so they can get the paycheck when it's over, rather than learning how to learn and how to be curious.
IMO, the solution is to stop focussing on higher education (and even high school education) as a means-to-an-end, or as a gateway to a better life.
Education should never be about proving you're qualified, it should be about letting yourself be curious and promoting that in your peers.
Jobs shouldn't be awarded based on what pieces of paper you have on your wall or letters after your name, but based on relevant experience and hobbies and interest that will drive you to being successful.
Knowledge that you've picked up by being curious and by doing cool things because you think they're fun
College should be about providing opportunities to be curious and to do cool things that are fun so that people can find something that they love.
Even if what they love isn't intrinsically useful, if they learn how to learn through curiosity and experience they can pick up skills at whatever jobs they want take after.
Unfortunately, the current structure of the job market, political infrastructure, and educational system prevent this.

Only brainlets need to cheat.
Modern grade inflation means that college courses are easy as fuck if you put in a tiny modicum of effort.
Source: Math/Physics dual major in 3.5 years.

>tfw to intelligent two not cheat

>get placed into specific industry niche-area subject course early because of good performance
>do well in it, relatively lax deadlines and code requirements, chill TA
>offered to TA it next year as a senior for other seniors
>Realize I will be competing with these people for jobs at the same time when I graduate
>grade their Verilog incredibly harsh, only perfect grade was given during the tutorial lab
>average class grade is a C-
>mfw

I never did.

I was supervising a written exam last year and I caught one of those fuckers drinking a fucking bottle of beer.

>Be TA
>Two students submit same lab report, they're not partners
>Give 0s
>Grade stands because
>Listen to fellow grad students constantly bitch about how this non-ivy league university sucks dick

>implying you can retake a class you got a c in

So you're an asshole? Was there supposed to be other information here is it "I'm am asshole" all you meant to say? ,

>what the fuck is this shit?
Corruption. See if you're able to report the cheating students directly to the Academic Integrity Office or whatever your university's equivalent is. Talking to the department head might be a good idea, but it's also risky depending on the details.

Don't expect anything to happen to the professor, but a message of "I'm not just going to let this go" is far better than nothing at all. If people start to get away with cheating, it snowballs like mad.

Sadly, that's not always true. Plenty of people cheat and still manage to flourish in life. If you cheat constantly, you're not likely to get anywhere in life because you eventually won't even know enough to understand harder material even if you tried. But I think the majority of cheaters don't cheat consistently and they probably take steps to avoid being caught.

I may have cheated occasionally in college but my test grades were fine. I don't like having to do the same type of problem repeatedly after I understand the concept. That issue wasn't as bad in upper level undergrad mathematics but it still occurred occasionally. Sometimes I didn't even have the time to do all the homework either but I needed the points. At least my focus was always on understanding the material sufficiently, even if I cut some corners.

Good for you managing to get by without cheating though. I envy your discipline and drive.

>rationalizing this much

I've never cheated in college and never will, fuck you. If I'm not capable of passing a course, then it means that I don't know the subject as I should've, thus I won't bitch about it.
By cheating you're lying to yourself. You're letting yourself become a shit professional.

Not everyone is asian, xiaopeng.

>tfw classmates copied every assignment from chegg in undergrad and got perfect scores
>tfw insisted on doing everything on my own and always ranked toward the bottom of the class despite knowing the material better
Cheating is why GPA is not a good measure of aptitude.

your fault for not snitching

>Not buying a chegg account and selling it to your classmates for fun and profit.

cheating is shitty but he is somewhat right, test grades are what really matter. homework should always be weighted low anyways, and profs do it because they know lots of people copy homework.

>not bothering to analyze and rationalize his own behaviors
Might as well just walk around waving your dick at people because you feel like it.

In all seriousness though, do you find my evaluation of reality to be irrational or does it just tickle you in a place that makes you uncomfortable?

>Everyone cheats in college
you must be from china retards come here with that shit

You make it sound like most people cheat, which is not true. I don't give a fuck whether or not you cheated but you should admit that you're a bit of a piece of shit for cheating. Not a huge one, there're are worse things, but still a bit of one.

I specifically said "plenty of people" cheat to suggest that it was the minority that does so, but still a sizable group. Sizable to the extent that there are probably at least a couple in your classes. The distribution most likely varies between schools, majors, and even just instructors so I can't really estimate how common it is at other schools. I suppose I could have been more specific with my diction though.

As for whether or not I'm a piece of shit, that really depends on your values. I don't feel bad about it but I can understand why it would irk others. To be clear, I only ever cheated on homework. I have never cheated on a test in my life.

Because they're not worth the trouble. They'll cheat and get a degree but they'll fail miserably when it matters in the workplace.

>blah blah your civic duty blah blah your job to fail them blah blah makes your degree worthless

Not my problem. I have shit to do. Grants to write, research to manage, articles to write, journals to edit, conferences to organize, committees to serve on. If the university system gave me the tools and incentive to actively punish academic dishonesty then I'd do it. Right now the cons vastly outweigh the pros.

>punish cheating
>they spam my inbox with shit
>they get their parents to call me
>their parents lobby complaints to my department
>I get called in for a long series of meetings
>auditors start sitting in on my classes
>reviewers start checking my previous student complaints
>I get review bombed both within the university and on shit like ratemyprofessor

>let it slide
>literally nothing happens

Every single one of my days as a professor is a bad one, but letting someone learn nothing is not a reason why.

>Unfortunately, the current structure of the job market, political infrastructure, and educational system prevent this.

Not only does this negate the entire rest of your post, this has only ever been a reality for a small fraction of the population. Most people are poor and/or brainlets and need to study useful stuff to help them get a job.

What do you teach,? How old are you?

the uni should have other people that do that punishment shit
like the dean's office or whatever

Haven't cheated once. Graduating with honors in the spring. Bite me.

Various behavior analysis courses in the psychology department, 27, kms.

They do. Student Affairs is supposed to handle these disputes. The problem is that the people who run Student Affairs are the SJW social media influencers of my fucking nightmares and they always take the side of the student no matter what the evidence. I've dealt with them twice before and they demanded I either curve my grades (only one person failed but they still demanded it) or offer so much extra credit that it would allow students to get a 0 on two whole tests. The second time I dealt with them they wrote a letter to my department saying I need to take sensitivity training. Never again.

The underlying problem is that the students getting pissy supersedes the university's trust in the professors. If students get mad, administration gets nervous. My job is meaningless aside from the one or two students I choose to work with after seeing their performance in class.

that's some fuckin bullshit

That "don't want to put any of them at risk of failing" sounds to me like that professor likes them, probably because they are good students, and he sees they bad luck.

And it happens to everyone. It is not impossible for a 100% student to badly fuck up and get a 50%. A perceptive professor should notice when honest mistakes are made and help the student out because the best way to ruin a 100% student is to make him depressed with an F.

Please go to college to get the bureaucratic check-box of "knowing how to fucking structure a text" well. The year is 2017, reading text walls hurts my fucking eyes. Even reddit spacing is better than this shit.

>you're letting yourself become a shit professional by acting how all professionals act

You do know that most of the things you're required to do in class would get you fired if you tried to do them on the job right? And those tools which you're forbidden to use in class are mandatory on the job, right?

>I never looked at the answers to a problem set
OK buddy
INB4 just to check, it's still cheating.

you're defending literally grabbing a past project and presenting it as your current work for this class. that's despicable, and you're shit.

>tiny modicum of effort
At the very least 6 hours of homework a week and 30 hours of study homework not included. Has to be challenging by definition to learn anything.
Neck yourself

Reading comprehension at it's finest.

No. You are shit because you don't want to admit that you are a cheater. Live in denial soyboy.

>you once threw a paper out of the trash can so it's okay for me to murder people

No, the solution is for students to realize that they need to take advantage of whatever they have and apply themselves. Universities can't dictate that the job market adjust to accomodate students going to school to enlighten themselves. The only just solution here is to force students to reflect on the ethics of what they're doing and come to the realization that cheating is wrong, and that if they're not willing to put in enough effort then they're not cut out for college and do not belong on the job market as an educated individual. It means absolutely nothing that students /feel/ they're forced to earn their degree.

>I cheated but my cheating was okay because reasons.

I didn't say it was okay. I have googled for ideas for some problems on a set. Probably shouldn't have. But from there to copy someone else's work and present it as your own? To present an old project as current? Don't be an idiot.

In any case, the fact that many people do something doesn't make it less bad.

> I have googled for ideas for some problems on a set. Probably shouldn't have. But from there to copy someone else's work and present it as your own? To present an old project as current?

It is literally the same thing just saves you time.

The only reason you think like this is because you don't view school as a place to learn you view it as a competition or a place that hands out degrees if you jump through hoops

what is literally the same thing you tremendous asshole? plagiarism? you're supposed to do your fucking work and get graded on it.

I can't understand the rationale of paying out of your ass for a degree in shit, with classes that interest you so little that you'd rather copy and not learn shit.

what the fuck are you talking about? are you responding to the wrong person? I'm very dedicated with my coursework, more than anyone else in the program, and have learned a shitload.

>t. brainlet
If someone cheats, they don't care about the subject, and wont pursue anything beyond the bare minimum

If you do honest work, you probably care about the subject, and you should (if you're not a brainlet, but you are) pursue interests/projects that make you stand out as someone who cares to your potential employers.
If you do honest work, but all you do is pass your classes, you're a brainlet and should've cheated just to save your worthless time.

>but based on relevant experience and hobbies and interest that will drive you to being successful.
>Knowledge that you've picked up by being curious and by doing cool things because you think they're fun
Not even that so much as "can you do the job." Teachers and firefighters didn't have to go to college 30 years ago, but now they do, and it's not like the jobs themselves have drastically changed. If you pick based on doing cool things because they're fun, then a) you get people who are interested in cheap things getting shafted (like today, where football experts make more money than taxi driving experts) and b) jobs that really do require specialized knowledge, like medicine, run the risk of admitting excited but unqualified idiots who make big mistakes.

What's the job market gonna do about it? They need a certain number of workers, and they prefer that those workers graduate college, but if enough dropped out they'd have no choice but to hire dropouts. Unless you seriously believe that something could cause an entire generation of slackers and shitheads to change their ways.

Yeah, so you agree? Or what

>Class where every third lecture, professor teaches first 75% then leaves
>TA then takes over and focuses only on exam material
>Sometimes to the point of giving answers ("What's the dependant variable for x experiment we looked at? That's right, it's reaction time.")
>Start of quarter, professor tells class not to leave when she's done lecturing.
>Her TAs are PhD candidates in her department and field of research, so she's kind of protective
>Without fail, 3/4ths of class gets up and walks out the moment the TA takes over
>Sometimes doesn't wait for the professor to leave the room first.

Why do you want everyone responsible for your grade to hate you? Because this is how that happens.

>Be third year student at well known psych research facility
>Working on application to graduate school, looking for cognitive psych programs
>Also interested in anthropology - culture specific disorders, linguistic relativity, etc. hooked me during my first semester
>Take an anthro class with significant medical overlap
>Final class, really enjoyed it
>TAs get up and talk about their research a little, really cool stuff.
>Notice the really cool TA assigned to my section didn't say anything about his, which sucks
>Go up after class and ask him about it, since we have time for questions where TAs can't leave yet anyway
>He gives a one sentence answer about it still being in progress, but it's about...
>Topic is really interesting, so I ask a follow up question
>Becomes a mutually enjoyable back-and-forth conversation given how many layers there are to fieldwork
>Walk away feeling like I learned something

TFW most people don't realize TAs are working on some really cool stuff.

I went through college before student feedback. Unless EVERYBODY failed, professor was assumed competent.
(Exception even to that. Someone decided to move Thermodynamics from Junior to Sophomore year. A disaster! Students weren't ready yet and it went back to Junior following year.)

School ran on "honor system". Precautions were taken, but the best "defense" against cheating was The Curve! If A cheats, B suffers. So B had every incentive to report A.

>you're supposed to do your fucking work and get graded on it.

Maybe you're attending uni for the grade, but I'm here to learn. And I learn a lot faster by getting help on a problem when I'm stuck on it, than I do by staring at the problem for hours until I finally figure something out.

Of course, after you have someone explain it to you, you'll want to practice other, similar problems to make sure you really understand what's going on, but understanding what's going on is the goal, not the grade.

And, the professors and TAs (at least the ones I've had) seem to agree with this. More than once have I walked into office hours, said "I looked up how to solve this online, but I'm still not sure I understand it, can we go over this," and they're completely fine with that. They're here to teach you, not give you a grade.

>tfw too honorable to cheat
Hate myself, why can't I just take the easy route.

getting help isn't copying the answers. it's asking your fucking professor or someone else for reinforcement on the needed theory. you even realize that in your last paragraph.

the way you say other similar problems makes it sound like you're doing rote memorization idiocy, and not math or science.

>AMERICAN """EDUCATION"""

Don't hate yourself, at least you'll get to have an understanding of the material unlike the brainlets that have to resort to cheating

>expecting students to spend their valuable study time listening to some poorly presented, inexpertly understood summary of the material just covered in class in recent lectures from a novice in the field in the hopes of getting handed some free answers
desu the only ones dumb enough to stick around were the brainlets of the class

I've attempted cheating in every exam I've taken so far. It only gets you so far. Best study up properly.

>the material just covered in class in recent lectures
They were explanations of experiments we participated in online for credit, but that weren't covered in lecture. Either you read the textbook really carefully or stay an extra 15-20 minutes to have it explained.

>in the hopes of getting handed some free answers
Literally every exam had 5-7 questions out of 60 that you'd get the answer to by staying.

Y'all know there is an actual life outside of school, right? And when your students apply to real jobs and can't pass a basic interview, don't you realize that they're gonna be kinda fucked?