ELECTRONS

EXPLAIN TO ME WHY THAT SHIT BURNS FOR WOOD, AND HAIR, BUT NOT ROCKS

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hnm8O1I9XGY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Rocks are made of rocks.
Why can't you understand!

A thread died for this

But they burn, under the right circumstances.

Rocks are ALREADY Oxidized.
Granite is Quartz (SiO4) and Feldspar (KAlSi3O8 – NaAlSi3O8 – CaAl2Si2O8)

You're asking "why doesn't the ash from a fire burn?"
Spend 30 seconds on Google before you start SCREAMING IN ALL CAPS!

Doesn't really apply here. 95 percent of threads here are shit.

Ash from a fire does burn, everything does with the proper accelerant.

That's not the ash burning. That's the kerosene.
What you pull out of the ruins is still ash. Maybe melted and cracked, but chemically not much different from what you started with.

The IMPORTANT question is "Why am I wasting my time answering this shit?"

I'm pretty sure most people aren't aware of the relationship between oxidation and burning

>american education

define "burn"
>oxidization
>flames
>any exothermic reaction
what's the criteria?

My car isn't on fire it's just rusting really fast.

rocks are actually made out of rockons and rockinos which prevent burning.

rocks are basically metal oxides. so they're already the "ashes" of metals. There's nothing left to burn. Do ashes from wood burn? No. They're already burned. Althoug they are made of the same matter as wood.

Geophysicist here, it's because rocks can't propagate fire, they can propagate heat OP, but not fire.

Propagate heat??? What are you on about?

>WHY THE HELL DON'T ROCKS BURN
Because you're wrong and they definitely do. Basically the entire inside of the Earth is just that you fucking dope

He's a geophysicist. Don't expect him to know basic thermodynamics, that's just too much for him

I learned all my thermodynamics from Fermi m8, i know what im talking about.

Rocks propagate heat OP, not fire

No, that's just liquid rocks. That's not burning rocks. Brainlet alert.

More important question is why does wood even burn when trees survive almost explicitly on water and are filled with the stuff. Or why doesn't water burn for that matter.

I read somewhere on the internet that things don't burn if they're already oxidized.

But I don't know what any of those words mean :(

But hydrogen and oxygen are both flammable so why isnt H[math]_2[/math]O flammable

hydrogen is oxidised

I didn't say kerosene. Try chlorine triflouride. Will burn basically anything including ash, asbestos, water, you, etc. Will also corrode shit that doesn't rust. It's the big "fuck you" chemical for stupid shit people say can't happen to certain materials.

>chlorine triflouride
Would it be possible to synthesize this in the medieval ages provided you new how?

If you "new" how and properly passivated some copper containers, sure. But not even the Nazis could safely weapons that shit. Inquisition would prolly burn you with your own hellfire. Without a good source of cryonic nitrogen you wouldn't have a good way to slow the reaction either.

How would I synthesize cryonic nitrogen then? in the middle ages.

Also "weapons"

Getting hot and on fire

Meant weaponize but autocorrect likes weapons more. If you want cryonic nitrogen to deal with lab accidents in a way that doesn't involve building a new lab each time in that era, you also need to invent cryonics and probably at least some rudimentary electricity to make it easier. Just look all those things up and write down prerequisites for all the things needed until you're sure you can acquire them from a local smithy.

Different heat capacities and flash points retard

That's bullshit, because you're altering the chemical composition by adding that. It's like oil shale, sure it can burn but it cannot be called a rock anymore.

>liquid rocks
Nigger rocks are only liquid on the crust

The inner mantle is solid you fucking turd sniffer.

The entire mantle is solid, it's all solid. It's hot enough to be liquid but it's under too much pressure so when the mantle get depressurized, say at a mid-ocean ridge, the underlying mantle melts a little bit and produces magma. There's your geology lesson for the day.

I think the outer core is liquid though. It rotates producing the magnetic field and doesn't resist shear stress so only P-waves can get through it. That's how we can tell the size of the core.

>altering the chemical composition
What did you think was happening when you set something on fire? Rocks burn just fine.

gtfo Cadet Capslock

Protons and neutrons are not flammable. Burning anything is really just a chemical reaction between a substance and oxygen, with heat as a catalyst. Wood contains lots of molecules that react with oxygen, like glucose(among other things). The rock does not have very reactive molecules.

As opposed to what board where most threads aren't shit? This whole site has been circling the toilet since the election.

bump[

nobody has answered my FUCKING QUESTION YET

Totally did. Rocks, wood ash, you, concrete, water, all burn when chlorine triflouride is around to oxidize stuff.

i heard between the lithosphere and the asthenosphere is an only few meters thick layer which is half liquid. on that layer the lithosphere slides making plate movement possible.

I think Feynman explained it pretty well when he described it like one of those games where you roll a ball up a curve into various holes. Kind of the same curve that a skateboarding half pipe would have. If the ball falls short then there is no reaction and the wood doesn't burn. The state of the chemical reaction isn't excited enough. However if there is enough energy then it rolls up into the open slot and sets off the reaction.

Because of the bonds that rock has and its interaction with oxygen there is nothing to facilitate it as fuel. Why is sugar fuel? Because it has weak bonds that are easily to break in order to utilize its energy. The same goes for oil or gasoline where it is a bunch of potential energy waiting for a chemical or physical catalyst to change into a source of kinetic energy.

Geologist here
>rocks don't burn
Oh yeah? Fuck you
youtube.com/watch?v=hnm8O1I9XGY

Rocks didn’t violate the NAP.

t. /pol/