Late stage learning

So, Veeky Forums,

I want to learn about mathematics, physics (with an aim to learn astrophysics) and nueroscience. I've spent most of my life being a somewhat typical dropkick - didn't pay attention in school, started smoking weed at 16, smoked regularly til 21, played in a band, quite proficient musically but lack basic education shy of what I've learned on my own. I developed an interest in woowoo spiritual matters around 17 which eventually evolved into an interest in philosophy, and now this urge to understand muh self and muh universe has brought me here. I've read through some of the sticky, have Khan lined up and ready to go (going to suck it up and start from the bottom rung of the ladder with maths, work until I am competent enough to understand physics and figure direction out as I plod along).

I have two questions that would also serve for good discussion points:

1) What advice would you have for someone who's decided to take science/maths up later in life (relative to those who took to it early on in school)?

And

2) Are there any of you here who took science/maths up later in life?

As an extension to number 2 - are there any of you who took it up later in life that ended up being successful enough in it to pursue a career in your given field of interest?

>tl;dr brainlet with above-average-but-nothing-special-iq wants to take up science and maths in early twenties and wants to hear from anyone else who took up these topics later in life

Bump

early twenties is not late. you're fine. just do it and don't do drugs.

For real? I get the impression those with any hope of being proficient are either naturally gifted or started at a young age (or both). I suppose one could consider early twenties still young, however.

Just start, and stick with it. All it takes to get good at something is persistence. Starting at childhood just gives you more time to practice, most kids obsess over what they start learning, if they're doing it for themselves, so they learn quick. If you can get into the same mindset, you can still learn things quickly as an adult.

the best in every field won so many variables in their lifes pretty much on lottery: parents not being brainless shitheads (genetics and knowledge, mindset) arearly childhood intellectual stimulation, proper access to materials, teachers who would show them interesting stuff instead of scolding for not paying attention etc. etc.

and then there are people who were born losers like me for example. mother stupid narcissistic cunt who didnt even give a shit if i have washed clothes and teeth not to mention notice i have aspergers. father who noticed *something* when i was 16 yo, fucking retard apparently credited that to me doing drugs and left the family, both being fucking idiots.
still i supposedly have 135IQ (SD15) so about top 1% of population but it doesnt fucking matter because i was born in some literal 12k ppl shithole in banana republic that doesnt have any industry. oh and i have depression for last like 15 years i literally use all my willpower to not kill myself whole day every day.

sure you can try, but most likely than not you will never amount to anything important, just like everyone else

Well be honest with yourself, do you genuinely want to understand these things for your own satisfaction? Or do you want external validation on how ‘smart’ you are? I am 30, and just going back to high school maths to develop a deeper understanding of it (I have a 1st class Chem degree lol), sure I will never make any contributions to maths, or win any recognition, but even at 30 you still have 40-50 years to learn as much as you want for your own satisfaction.

The urge to learn these things basically stems from a feeling of "wtfisallthisandwtfami". I wouldn't really be bothered if I never contributed anything major to the field, or never became some famous scientist, hell, chances are I'll study psychology and go into clinical so I can help individuals.

Honestly? .. yeah, I honestly think it's for the sake of satisfying fascination and curiosity. Part of me feels like understanding the way reality functions will help me be a more joyful and useful person, don't exactly know why. Being a clear thinker and good problem solver helps from day to day.

Go for it OP. Honestly.

Ignore the naysayers. We only have one life, *our* life, and it is up to us, not other people, to decide what we do with it. If mathematics and knowledge is something that brings you profound joy (as it does me), bring it to the center of your life.

>thinking psychologists help people

If you aspire to be a high inquisitor of 'science' that experiments chemically on the minds of 'heretics' you should unironically kill yourself mate.

Its alright bro hang in there

I think you underestimate the difficulty of it. I suggest to just go to school and learn. khan academy is cool but teaches nothing in depth.

what I mean is : You can't just "take on maths" or "physics" just like you just start learning music or skateboard.

It's much harder and bigger than that, and honestly, school is the only way to efficiently learn a science.

go back to hightschool, then take part time university. You will learn as a hobby

Any advice regarding avoiding what one might call "logical pitfalls" when starting out?

Thats psychiatry dumbass.. Psychology is the wide study of a persons thoughts or behaviour, and MANY people benefit from adequate psychotherapy and counselling.
Without it, (and they dont often have good social support or coping mechanisms as is) they often become drug dependant and more ill which leads to schitzophrenic episodes or worse, like suicide..
All science is arbitrary and essentially theories.. But how can an isolated system (conciousness) fully comprehend itself?
It can't.
Psychology may not put people on the moon, but it is both very helpful for the individual and the society they are a part of. People like you lead people to poor mental health, so maybe you should kys, human nature is toxic enough, you unironically prove.

10 cookies to this poster.

Google Jordan Peterson and look at the good he's done. I've personally gained a hell of a lot during my psych sessions; jungian analyst helped me realise one of the most effective and profound routes out of my self-destructive and sabotaging behaviour was philosophy.

What you are saying isn't incorrect. Yes the few people who achieve success (however you chose to define it) owe it to a lot of variables that are completely out of their control. As it seems you got the short end of the stick, I'm sure you are envious of these people and upset with the cruelty of the world.

Look I don't know you at all but if you are as smart as you say you are I'm sure you know there are some things you can do to make the best of your situation. Especially with depression, learning about some basic mind training was very helpful for me. At its root depression is just a mental state of negative thoughts. Its basically just the habit of thinking about negative things that are out of your control. As the Buddhists would say "life is suffering". I'm not trying to tell you what to do, but I would recommend reading up on what the Buddhists and the Hindus have to say on the mind and meditation. It is very rational and the whole point is that you discover all these truths and see them for yourself instead of some dogma that is forced down your throat. I'm sure you also know this, but there are lots of really interesting ideas to study and the internet is a great gateway to them. Personally, I have found that focusing on ideas and learning is more rewarding than lamenting about all the horrible shit in the world.

You gotta go back

>school is the only way to efficiently learn a science
Nope, but you're right about khanacademy not being sufficient

Ayy man, I fucked up in highschool and while I still graduated, I didnt apply to any colleges until a year after graduation. I would suggest you go to a community college and look for transfer opportunities after working your ass off. If you dont make much money, community college is almost completely free, especially if you torrent books. If you are serious about making this your career you should take classes every semester including winter and summer ones so you can catch up quicker.

Just start with whatever math you are comfortable with and build up a good foundation for later courses.

You're still very young, so if you work hard you should be able to make this into a career. Best of luck to you.