NYRB Thread

Thoughts on this? Loved the "discontinuous first-person” but found the ending a little at odds with her character.

One of my fav NYRB so far. What are some others?

Other urls found in this thread:

nyrb.com/collections/forthcoming
filetea
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Looks interesting, I'll check it out.

One of my favourite is The Book of Ebenezer Le Page, by G.B. Edwards.
It's a very long and thorough story of the life of one man on Guernsey, but is filled with charm and a sea of characters, while showing the development of the island in the twentieth century. I recommend it to everyone I know.

I also really enjoy
>Journey by Moonlight - Antal Szerb
>Skylark - Dezső Kosztolányi
>The Summer Book - Tove Jansson
>Hard Rain Falling - Don Carpenter
>The Invention of Morel - Adolfo Bioy Casares
>The Door - Magda Szabó

But these are much more well known, on Veeky Forums and in general.

Beware of Pity

Has anyone else on this board read Zama? I haven't seen in mentioned before and I'm curious what other people thought.

nyrb.com/collections/forthcoming

Waiting patiently for this and The Farm in the Green Mountains.

That said the actual Review has gone from 5/10 with those 5 being excellent to 1/10 after the election. Pure liberal ideology, Reductio ad Hitlerum, and hyperbole. At least prior to that they had well known authors reviewing classics once an issue.

I finished it. I cant say it was great, but the last part was much better than the first two. The actual protagonist was interesting.

Here is an epub

filetea DOT me/n3wvvz29CxVQCSxBYIndKBdNQ

the Russian Borges

Really looking forward to this coming up

>The Summer Book - Tove Jansson
really liked this one

>The Invention of Morel - Adolfo Bioy Casares
though tthis one was a bit overrated

How does it compare to memories of the future? Really loving that so far.

off the top of my head
>Memoirs of My Nervous Illness by Daniel Paul Schreiber (recommended especially for Deleuze people)
>The Anatomy of Melancholy by Robert Burton
this one
>Jakob von Gunten by Robert Walser
>Witch Grass by Raymond Queneau
>Chess Story by Stefan Zweig

The Tenants of Moonbloom

I haven't read that one yet, but the stories in Corpse are tremendous

OP here, dude Skylark is amazing! Wow nice to see the Hungarians get a mention. Really great book. I also liked Hard Rain Falling.

Check out Fat City by Leonard Gardner, even if you dont like boxing, Denis Johnson does the introduction. Tremendous.

Z A M A
A
M
A

This.

I can't recommend this book enough, wonderful

kinda pisses me off that it takes being published by nyrb for you to fags to start noticing certain writers tee bee H

How else is a NEET supposed to learn about a new author he hasn't heard of before?

by spending all his time on Veeky Forums obviously

has anyone read this

The Anatomy of Melancholy by Robert Burton
+
On Being Blue: A Philosophical Inquiry by William Gass

I haven't read much of The Anatomy of Melancholy; I enjoy reading a few paragraphs aloud now and then, and sometimes will delve into it a bit deeper, but it's a work I consistently read aloud and so read relatively slowly.
On Being Blue is fantastic and I don't even love Gass' fiction. It is far more sexual than I anticipated. Gass talks a lot about communicating sexuality through language and how, in English, it seems to fail, to bumble along the page like the awkward man bumbles along a speech meant to be erotic. That's what Gass says, anyway. Agree with him or not, his prose is great; I read a lot of this aloud as well. I've finished this one.

Anyway, I got both of these recently and would recommend them.

fuck yeah

Kaputt and The Skin