The Road

What a fucking awful book.

What a fucking do-nothing, go-nowhere romp of a novel.

What a time-wasting, mind-numbing, yawn-inducing drivel of shit.

This was really the best work of fiction in the year it came out? This is consider top shelf?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yetwdpsiM8Q
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

i thought McCarthy was a hack for years after reading this, until I read Blood Meridian which has moments of unbridled genius. The Road is god-awful though

Pleb

Has it crossed your feeble minds that perhaps you're both the worst type of plebeians?

I like the vivid descriptions

I found the road incredibly moving. The ending made me cry. I don't know what book you guys read.

Stephen King's Under the Dome is my most recent read.. more backstory to the world and characters than this "novel"

>Stephen King's Under the Dome is my most recent read

kill yourself

When you want to insist that something is shit please try to do so in a less time-wasting, mind-numbing, yawn-inducing manner.

One of the best books I've ever read, OP.

Maybe you read it wrong (or didn't get very far before giving up and posting this - probably what you did)

For example the tone (especially in the beginning) is representative of the dead landscape, and the fire is the humanity in the two lead char. which is kindled throughout the story.

If you can't gather the contrast, or understand the thing, read something else. Definitely don't try and berate the book publicly.

nobody else here ever bothers, why should OP?

>the tone (especially in the beginning) is representative of the dead landscape
How?

kek

Literally a 1100 page rip off of the simpsons movie.
I don't get why people complain about the roads vaugness, does it really matter how the world ended? What's important is the father and son, and how they go on even when faced with a hopeless situation.

You mean you like list of things. That's all the book is, lists of things found.

The only descriptions in the book are "Grey ash", "Black night", and "Wet rain"

you clearly didn't read the book

Read it. Its drone and slow, repeatedly layering scenes of grey and emptiness.

>Okay? Okay.

is this another "but it's boring on purpose" book?

Hey Veeky Forums, is it short enough to read it in one day? I'm thinking of doing a 30 days/30 books challenge this summer.

>doing a 30 days/30 books challenge this summer.
kys

>He was half expecting some horror but there was none.

Nice of Cormac to include a review of the book in the book itself

The film was great, otherwise I'd never even hear about it.

Damn this some real HS analysis.

For most people the prose, though purposefully bleak, is just boring. The themes are undeveloped and its just so much less than people who came from BM expected.

No, you just have some growing up to do.

How are the themes undeveloped?

>Create one of the shittiest examples of a Post-Apoc story
>Win the Pulitzer Prize

Somewhere, Wilson Tucker cries

you're defending one of the most pleb "acclaimed novels" ever

Nah, I told before, the tone of the landscape is contrasted with the fathers humanity and innocence of the kid. Its a masterfully woven novel in the kindling of the fire.

You shouldn't speak as if you speak for everyone. You don't. But if you as an individual cannot see the point of The Road, or if you didn't enjoy it, by all means stick to reading Stephen King. No ones judging you for that. Don't feel the need to put down books you didn't "get".

NORMIE GET OUT REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

muh can-o-balls

Epic poetry also employs lists. I'm sure you love that though.

The Iliad is not the entirety of epic poetry, undergrad

>do-nothing
>go-nowhere
It sounds like your expectations are the problem.
>Create one of the shittiest examples of a Post-Apoc story
This line of thinking reeks of plebism.

I haven't even read the Iliad, idiot.
>undergrad
I'm older than you and have read more than you, I just haven't read the Iliad in its whole (as far as I know I haven't, at least).

If all of Veeky Forums jumped off a cliff... yaawn...

Stupid frogposter

I read it while drinking beer in my pool.

Pretty good book to be honest, I enjoyed it.

I enjoyed it. Care to share what triggered you so hard? Or are you spouting hyperbole for dramatic effect?

uninspired, shallow characters in a book that revolves entirely around the relationship between two characters

youtube.com/watch?v=yetwdpsiM8Q

it's a legitimate criticism of these characters, i'm not just throwing the words around. they're boring people that we're given no history or context for and their relationship hardly develops throughout the entirety of the book

They're father and son. That's the context. The mother sacrificed (killed) herself to not face or get raped in the wild land. The son is young enough to not remember the "life before the event" and his father tries to shield him from what it was like whilst also letting him taste the can o cola for himself. That's context. Some become cannibals, some don't. All the moral people on earth have been killed/eaten. More context. The father throughout questions his role as to whether he could kill his kid (shoot/stab/slit his throat) before others rape/eat the kid.

Without spoilers, did you not find any of the book engaging? Did you even read all the way through?

>0e9.jpg

>walk down street
>set up camp for evening
>walk down street
>set up camp for evening
>walk down street
>kill a bandit
>eat some food
>get to coast
>guy dies
>kid goes off with some woman

amazing, exhilarating story

I thought it was distracting when Omar showed up at the end

Who the fuck is Omar

>he didn't read the book

>by all means stick to reading Stephen King. No ones judging you for that
I have to correct you there

>This is consider top shelf?
You're thinking of Hustler

>Talk about a past catastrophe
>Nothing comes of it

>Talk about cannibal gangs
>Notbing comes of it

>Talk about "carrying the fire" and finding other good guys
>Nothing comes of it except for the last two pages of the book

The book has interesting IDEAS

But nothing comes of them

Yes.

>
Pleb

>he didn't get it
There's no hope left for this shitty board. The easiest of his books is still misinterpreted by plebs.

Everyone understands The Road. It's just a bad book.

autistic dark

this

Wouldn't the idea of carrying the fire be defeated if it ended with something "coming of it"? The point of the idea is to keep hoping, no matter what happens. I don't think it's meant to mean "keep hoping and something good will eventually happen," it means "keep believing in good and you can make good happen."

Goalless hope is pointless and idiotic

>he reads for the plot

What else does the Road have?

Endless lists of tin cans? Repeating descriptions of dark nights and grey ash? Dialogue that attempt philosophy but end short in asinine rambling?

>thinking plot isn't one of the sundry elements that constitute good literature

How is this meme still alive

I disagree.

Agreed

Nothing wrong reading for plot though, there's a shitload of books where that's the whole point. It's just a different kind of book.

>What else does the Road have?

The prose. Most Cormac McCarthy's books are extremely well written, and The Road is no exception. The plot is secondary to the rhythm, poetry, color (really) and tone of the prose. There is not a single false note in all of it. It's an incredibly beautiful book.

It might not be the best analogy, but McCarthy's work is a bit like watching a painting by an old master. It isn't the subject that matters as much as the technique that the artist used and the overall beauty of the result.

This is not a book to read for the plot. This might be hard to understand before you start reading a lot, but the more you do and the more you learn about the possibilities of language, the more you’ll start seeing what makes McCarthy so great.

Nothing wrong reading for the plot though, there's a lot of books where that's the whole point. It's just a different kind of book.

Give me a single paragraph from the book you think is worthy of "an old master"

>Okay? Okay.

Start with the first one and go from there.

What was this one written about originally?

I liked the book but why didn't anyone in the beginning of the catastrophe get batteries, a bicycle, and some grow lights? Just have a group and have people pedal the bikes to generate electricity for the lights. Someone with basic engineering could do this. Alternatively, pigs and mushrooms like in Metro 2033. How hard is that? Look, ma, no cannibals!

>he didn't understand The Road
>which was so pleb that it was made into a blockbuster movie

you really don't belong here I don't think

I'll give you a hint:

nihilism

How are you going to generate power and maintain your equipment?

How are you going to defend yourself when setting up a farm is basically asking cannibals to come and pillage everything you own and maybe press you into slavery instead of eating you?

How can you be sure anything will grow anymore?

This isn't Fallout 4. This is literally the dying embers of the world.

I literally said use some basic engineering and generate power via bicycle. It is possible.

Failing that you grow mushrooms and with those mushrooms you raise pigs (and also eat them yourself). If you can do that you will have a sustainable food source. Even without the pigs you're good. A bit malnourished but still alive and capable of functioning. Defend that the same way you do everything else?

What is Fallout 4?

really makes you think

Explain to me how you're going to generate power with the bicycle, in minute detail, without looking anything up on the internet. Then you can go ahead and explain to me what you'll do when your chainring, chain, bottom bracket, cassette, or generator fails.

>hurr just grow mushrooms and pigs even though nothing fucking grows anymore and there's fuck all for sunlight and there isn't even enough food for humans let alone livestock

>hurr i'll be able to fight off an army with a derelict handgun and whatever ammunition that is still able to fire

That's what I thought, you sniveling little baby. I bet you don't even know how long gasoline remains a viable source of fuel for in storage.

You're projecting and being awfully hostile. I'm done until you apologise. Don't bother replying if it doesn't involve an apology.

user you are correct but there's no need to get this mad. The other guy is wrong to be so lackadaisical about this but I have to say that a few thousand people would probably survive like for instance after the Toba Catastrophe.

>projecting

see, in my country, we dispensed with "i am rubber, you are glue" as an argument when we were children because we could plainly see how ridiculous it was

so congrats on being less mentally capable than someone who isn't allowed to do anything because they're recognized as universally uncapable i guess

I read it in french (my native language), I will try to find it in english to see if the translation downgrade it.

Mushrooms don't require sunlight, retard.

I honestly can't tell if this is satire

Good show, my man

The opening line to the Road is one of the worst, what are you talking about?

This is one of my favorite books of all time. Those soul crushing dadfeels will not soon be forgotten.

The Road is postmodernism incarnate. This is an actual quote from the book:

>It's snowing, the boy said. A single gray flake sifting down. He caught it in his hand and watched it expire like the last host of christendom.

I have a deadly serious hatred for anyone with their head so far up their own ass that they can't see what garbage it is. Fuck everything about that monotonous bore of a book that's utterly devoid of grammar beyond a 5th grade level.

Isn't that a reference to the nuclear war being the rapture?

It looks more like hamfisted symbolism to me. Then again I don't know a lot about rapture theology since I'm not a protestant.