Is Jonathan Franzen too good to be meme'd?

Is Jonathan Franzen too good to be meme'd?

I'm reading the corrections now (its my first Franzen book) and I'm enjoying it in the same way that I would read dfw though franzen is more refined

He's not good enough to mention.

too bad to become a meme.

And DFW is?

how far along are you? iirc the first ~150 pages are good and the rest of the book is a long hard slog.

I'm at 350 but I've enjoyed all of it up till now. I dont get why lit has to be so elitist about what they read

That's a great way to go about things. Someone dislikes Franzen, they must like DFW. Therefore, if someone likes Franzen, they must be a new, milquetoast moron.

This all makes sense doesn't it?

not him, the board in general.

pretty much all i remember from that book
>he rips off mr. hanky the christmas poo
>mixed grill

it's a decent book, but why anyone would waste their time reading something so middle-brow when there are literally thousands of great, great books is beyond me.

entertainment instead of elitism? just because I'm not discussing Anna Karenina doesn't mean I don't belong on this board

From what I've seen he's not eccentric or imaginative enough to be memed

Could he ever win the Nobel or is he too white?

DFW was actually ambitious.
Franzen is nothing more or less than "fine".

>entertainment instead of elitism?
Can you please stop invoking this weird obsession you have with "elitism".
You have serious inferiority issues mate.

i never said you didn't.
but if it's entertainment you're looking for, Franzen is not a good choice either.

what would you suggest?

>waste their time reading something so middle-brow
he's high-brow for his majority woman audience. they make such a ruckus about him that it tricks men into reading him.

I mean, if you don't find high-brow lit entertaining you should read genre trash, because i imagine that's way more 'entertaining' than Jonathan 'middle of the road' Franzen.
Try both the Italos, Thomas McGuane, short stories by Gass, maybe even Stoner, cause it seems like that's what you're into.

And of course the greats, Joyce and Pynchon are very funny and very entertaining. And I cannot fathom how anyone wouldn't be entertained by Blood Meridian.

>From what I've seen he's not eccentric or imaginative enough to be memed
he's the stereotypical writer in every way. also the dude never misses an opportunity to remind everyone that he was friends with DFW.

This board is for folks to jerk each other off for reading the same 12 books and striking anything else down as "middle-brow". Though the corrections is bad