/mencore/

What is some mandatory reading to help build the character of male example?

Robert (((Greene)))'s books.
Jocko Willink
Art of War
Art of the Deal
Hemingway
Conrad

>Hemingway
fuck i forgot about him
which books?

>The Prince
>Male example

Don't get me wrong, I adore Machiavelli but I think it'd be disingenous to claim he wanted to craft "the exemplary behavioural protocols of the human male".
Any other text, for the matter, would be of extremely little help to you - since the exemplar male is much less a reality than it is a pecualiar phantom summoned in every culture, of different behaviour and countenance, to tipify a desirable (by the author's, often male, standards) model rather than to embody it in actuality.

fuck off with your brackets

Why doesn't anyone ever talk about Machiavelli's Art Of War? I like it better than /pol/s favorite The Nest Leaders Manual.

Also add:

Iron Will by Orison Swett Marten (1901)
Making Of A Man by Orison Swett Marden (1898)
The Way Of Men by Jack Donovan
A Fighter's Heart by Sam Sheridan
A Fighter's Mind by Sam Sheridan
Left of Bang: How the Marine Corps' Combat Hunter Program Can Save Your Life (recommend by General Mattis)
The War Of Art by Steven Pressfield
Turning Pro by Steven Pressfield
Henry V by William Shakespeare (his most martial play)
Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe
The Kingship of Self Control by William George Jordan.

>I adore Machiavelli but I think it'd be disingenous to claim he wanted to craft "the exemplary behavioural protocols of the human male".
why?

Machiavelli's great, but he wrote about men as they are, not as an ideal to strive toward.

Some people think his work is amoral, I disagree, but he's certainly not an idealist.

Because maleness, as much as, in his time, it was an historical imperative, doesn't have much to do with the heuristic protocols he tries to create with the Prince.

Oh, and also read the appendix in the first 1911 edition of the Boy Scout's Manual. Lots of books recommended.

>reading self help books
>manly

What is unmanly about that?

Mattis recommends lots of self-help books in his reading program for the Marines, and he himself carries his copy of Meditations on the battlefield.

If we can learn about science, history, technology, and art from books, why can't we learn about how to improve our memory, how to design a work-out routine, how to give a good job interview, and how to defend yourself against an assailant?

If someone gave you advice in real life, if you trusted that person you'd try it most likely- so why should the exact information be wrong in a book?

Part of being manly is to be humble. Jocko says training in BJJ is all about that. Jack Donovan says to be humble in your masculinity is important- to never be "secure" in your masculinity, since every king, every MMA champion, and ever silverback is always looking to take you down. The way of men is to always look over your shoulder for the faster gunfighter.

You have to improve always, and in every way. Books are the best way to do that. Theodore Roosevelt learned to box from a book when he was a sickly teenager.

>learning
>Bad
what?

Old Man and the Sea

Wasn't The Prince a satire?

no
the part where he writes about religion could be said to be a bit tongue in cheek

all literature is satire

>Meditations
This is the best answer.
P.S. eat shit mods stop banning me

bump

Read Pressfield's Gates of Fire. Absolutely brilliant.

Men Explain Things to Me, Rebecca Solnit
The Feminine Mystique, Betty Friedan
Nimona, Noelle Stevenson
The Purity Myth: How America’s Obsession with Virginity is Hurting Young Women, Jessica Valenti
Whipping Girl, Julia Serano
Feminism Is For Everybody: Passionate Politics, bell hooks
Tipping the Velvet, Sarah Waters
Cunt: A Declaration of Independence, Inga Muscio
The Invention of Women: Making an African Sense of Western Gender Discourses, Oyeronke Oyewumi
A Vindication of the Rights of Woman, Mary Wollstonecraft
Letters on the Equality of the Sexes, Sarah Grimke
Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl, Harriet Jacobs
On Woman’s Right to Suffrage, Susan B. Anthony
The Beauty Myth, Naomi Wolf
Sister Outsider, Audre Lorde
The Second Sex, Simone de Beauvoir
Fear of Flying, Erica Jong
Fat is a Feminist Issue, Susie Orbach
The Color Purple, Alice Walker
The Handmaid’s Tale, Margaret Atwood
Gender Trouble, Judith Butler
The Bust Guide To The New Girl Order
We Should All Be Feminists, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
The Complete Collected Poems of Maya Angelou
Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America, Barbara Ehrenreich
Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood, Marjane Satrapi
Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic, Alison Bechdel
Colonize This!: Young Women of Color on Today’s Feminism, Daisy Hernandez
Sister Citizen: Shame, Stereotypes, and Black Women in America, Melissa V. Harris-Perry
Conquest: Sexual Violence and American Indian Genocide, Andrea Lee Smith
Their Eyes Were Watching God, Zora Neale Hurston
The Book of the Unnamed Midwife, Meg Elison
Invisible Man Got the Whole World Watching, Mychal Denzel Smith
Shrill, Lindy West
Tipping the Velvet, Sarah Waters
The Complete Poems, Anne Sexton
The Left Hand of Darkness, Ursula K. LeGuin
The Crying of Lot 49, Thomas Pynchon

I agree. Machiaveli was a rogue that manipulated behind the shadows. Not a masculine type, but certainly motivated