Was Tolkien writing a racist anthology?

"The dwarves of course are quite obviously - wouldn't you say that in many ways they remind you of the Jews? Their words are Semitic obviously, constructed to be Semitic."
― J.R.R. Tolkien

Yes. Mordor represents the Muslim threat on the rest of the world.

>Dwarves are Jews
That's a compliment

We have this thread alot /pol/friend

This.

Reminder, dwarves are the only race in Middle-Earth that absolutely can't be made wicked by the Rings of Power. Their greed can be inflamed, but they'll always have a degree of goodness that none of the other races can maintain forever.

Yeah, the real question mark is the orcs

Tolkien would be a better writer if he was an anti-semite

tfw this is more relevant today

I really love The Chronicles of Narnia. Why can't we ever have Narnia discussions on here

Veeky Forums thinks Lewis is a hack, especially as a novelist. Which is true to a certain extent - he didn't write amazing books. But Narnia is the undisputed king of comfy storytime, and if any woman is ever stupid enough to let me stick it in I'll probably end up reading the entire series to my kids. Also as far as allegory goes Lewis didn't do too shabby.
If you tried to start a narnia thread it would get 'd to death probably. Maybe it's worth a shot though.

He wasn't the greatest, but I think that the work he did should be appreciated. Narnia is the perfect mix between comfy storytime and christian ideals/teaching.

I hate on most things YA/fantasy, but it's a shame that Veeky Forums overlooks and even condemns some of the genuinely good work like Narnia.

It's unfair to tarnish Narnia with the YA label, even though it actually was written for young adults. I feel like it's too good to be YA. I feel the same about Brian Jacques' Redwall series and Ursula LeGuin's Earthsea books.

YA has a negative connotation on this board. Mainly because most recent YA is horrible.

Lewis hit all the archetypes correctly, hence why it still has appeal.

>Was Tolkien writing a racist anthology?

i wish

Why? Why is it that when the orcs try to make their own ring, suddenly it's bad? All of the other races have a ring, right?

Tolkien is keeping the orc down. Men are the true agressors.

That's not true at all. The rings don't turn them to saurons will but they still are made greedy and develop unhealthy hording behaviors. Even the Arkenstone makes Thorin irrationally greedy at the expense of his well being. There were also wicked Dwarves fighting in Morgoths armies in the first age.

Tolkien liked jews, basing a fictional race on them wasn't racism.

>But if I am to understand that you are enquiring whether I am of Jewish origin, I can only reply that I regret that I appear to have no ancestors of that gifted people.

The idea that certain races have essential characteristics is considered hateful and racist in the current year. In fact even acknowledging the existence of biological race makes you a racist. The moment you posted this thread you became a racist. Are you a white, cisgendered, male by any chance? We might have to send you to sensitivity training to unlearn some of these problematic ideas of yours.

Race, as it is normally understood, is absolutely wrong tho. There are so many different groups that fits within the label "black", that there is higher variation within the blacks than between the average african and the average european. Most peoples understanding of race is not in any way grounded in biology, it is only "skin deep".

Orcs are elves

>There are so many different groups that fits within the label "black", that there is higher variation within the blacks than between the average african and the average european.
Sounds like that's only true in places where being slightly darker than tanned makes you black, though.

>There are so many different groups that fits within the label "black", that there is higher variation within the blacks than between the average african and the average european.
That's only true if you look at individual genes rather than combinations which is a closer approximate of the perceived races.

Bunch of wannabe racists itt - sorry, lads: you got btfo by Tolkien almost a hundred years ago. Yer too late....go back to suckin' nigger-cock or somesuch, bois.