This is fucking boring

This is fucking boring

Someone tell me why is this considered essential reading? Because I want to drop this pious crap

Other urls found in this thread:

dante.dartmouth.edu/search_view.php?query=&cmd=Search&commentary[]=19705&language=any&cantica=0&canto=&line=
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It s a meme. Im italian and we read dante in highschool. The poetry is good but evrything else is medieval garbage and religious bullshit. And if u read It translated you lose the poetry too.

PS: It s considered important just becouse its One of the major work written in italian (florence language) rather than latin

couldn't we filter obvious pleb IP? Like a program designed to insta-ban any poster based on keywords and images?
Don't worry, you'll both grow up. Please read more and lurk less.

>Not post any arguments supporting It s idea
>Tell people to grow up
>Tell people to read more

Your ego is as big as your ass

>Can't appreciate a classic, find boring great artistic accomplishment
>polite advice considering how pleb you are
>lol ur ego is big
Where do you think you are, you little fag? Get some taste or go to /r/books idk

Sure man, you dont even understand the language of dante. Your judgement is from a translation? Lol. It s a Classic becouse of It being a huge beautiful poetry work written for the First time in italian. So, considering you are not an italian speaker,:
1. You Will not get anything of his poetry beauty
2. The storic importance of It is none ti you since you are not italian.

What It remain is his philosophy. Do you find medieval religious philosophy intresting ? If Yes you are a faggot. If not just dont read the book

The americans will never understand the beauty of this book even if they pretend to.

im not american

Monolingual newfag here, is it worth it in English?

You don't understand, dude, people Dante didn't like are all in hell, this makes it extra sophisticated.

Sorry, thought you were a pleb but (besides your very shallow knowledge of english) you sound like an actual child. It wasn't my intention to bully anyone under 16.
you'll grow up

nice ad hominem

>Brainlets trying to read The Divine Comedy without reading The Aeneid and Augustinus first
lmao

>this standalone works of art needs other standalone works of art to be appreciated

u r the brainlet

>Standalone work of art
literally never existed.
I bet you think there's such a thing as non-political art.

>you have to read every book since literary conception to appreciate a 2017 novel

Are you italian?

How about you shut the fuck up? I know how this shit works, in my country kids are also forced to read a shitton of classics that they hate and they say the same things as you do. The problem is, you read it as a fucking kid, do you really expect to understand the book at that point in life? Return to it when you're older and more mature, I'm serious, and until you reread it don't shit up this board with your juvenile thinking.

>get BTFO twice
>proceeds to ad hominem again

Jesus christ this is great

People write books trying to explain why this book is great. You think you are smarter than them and all the people who enjoyed this book just because you find it boring? Read it and then read it again after a while and try to understand why after 700 years some people are still fascinated by it. Until then have some fucking respect.

This is just a meme used by autists (most likely STEMfags) who can't quite understand poetry and literature in general and reduce everything to the words used in the original language. They're just like those people who scour a work looking only for quotes to post in their Facebook page or to memorize to impress their friends.
If you are truly into literature you have to be patient and open-minded. You have to realize that its masterpieces are not meant to entertain you, but to accompany and inspire you all your life. I didn't like the Comedy the first time either, but now I can see how it is one of the most original and special pieces of art ever created.

You are pathetic as fuck in your awful ignorance

Roman de Troie was the first poem written in a vernacular language and absolutely no one read it anymore.

So, opinion disregarded. Stop being such a pleb.

Ok, tell me ... What have you gained from Reading the divina commedia ? What is in his philosophy that makes It so great ? I find It all beautifully expressed bullshit

dante.dartmouth.edu/search_view.php?query=&cmd=Search&commentary[]=19705&language=any&cantica=0&canto=&line=

Agreed. The poetry is beautiful, but religion is a mental illness, so the heavy religious influence drags the work down.

It is incredibly imaginative and the circles of hell and inferno and all that shit are in the common knowledge

A wikipedia summary is only necessary really

You can read his poetry for the language and metaphors, but they will be lost on you unless you speak Italian

It lose the poetry in spanish too?

It's great because it's a huge crossover with a shit ton of characters from many important works of western literature up to that point. It's like the Power Rangers episode with all red rangers. If fiction was a single story this would be that.

Nice bait retard go read a book

go burn your bible delusional christfag

Not bait. Religion is a mental illness. There have been plenty of genius believers, but they were geniuses despite their faith, not because of it. Dante is an example. He wrote a beautiful work of poetry about boring religious crap.

T. S. Eliot though?

>ITT: teenagers from reddit with all the answers

t. Brainlet

Felt the same way. Too much is lost in translation probably, and I'm not into Medieval philosophy. Try Paradise Lost probably the best epic in English.

you can't count Eliot, he took British citizenship because the US doesn't have enough cultural history to satisfy anyone who really appreciates literature.

*tips*

yeah now post an atheist poet better than him
oh sorry you can't because atheism is intellectually irrelevant

>tfw realizing why the suicides are trees
>tfw dante himself starts losing faith in the damned
>tfw my bro ulysses
>tfw men in purgatory begging dante to tell their loved ones a few rungs up to remember them
>tfw virgil can't go with him
>tfw dante turns around and doesn't see virgil and cries like a bitch and beatrice yells at him for crying like a bitch
>tfw soaring through the trippy metaphysical heavens
>tfw one of the spheres is a lamp
>tfw meeting aquinas and augustine
how could anyone not love this work? not to mention the verse to verse beauty of it. the universal human struggle is perfectly depicted in these pages. and it's pretty awesome to read after having read all of the classical canon, this is the last time all these works and figures would really be brought together in such a way.

I was so sad when Virgil left

New plebeian here. What does "all of the classical canon" consist of?
I got a bilingual copy of Dante's Comedy but remembered it references many other works, so I guess I'll go around reading those first and leave this for much much later.

>the souls in Hell beg Dante to remember them
>the souls in Purgatory beg Dante to pray for them

If you read him in high school then you probably can't judge.
I know I can't fairly judge anything I had to read for school.

You could get by with a bare minimum of the Iliad, Odyssey, Aeneid, and Metamorphoses, and some general knowledge of the major Christian figures, theologians, etc.

But I don't want the bare minimum baby I want it all.

Start with the Iliad and read everything in Bloom's Western Canon up to the time the Comedy was written, along with all major works of philosophy and theology.

Someone answer this please. Ideally this schmuck.

De rerum natura

If you cant speak italian you are literally reading for plot

plebs

You could say that Dante is the most creative and courageous writer who ever lived. Before him no one had done what he did. Homer more than likely didn't create his work from scratch. Virgil barely created anything different. Ovid gets closer, but still you can't say how much of his work is his own vision and how much are established myths. But with Dante you can know that only the basic structure is borrowed from medieval philosophy and theology, the rest of it is his creation completely. It amazes me to think that every single one of the images from the Comedy was created by only one man. He had an unrivaled vision of literature.

Just think about how many things you can find in this poem: a dedication of love to a woman he never had (even though he had children from another one), a message about the meaning and purpose of humans, a praise of God, a nod to the ancient art and knowledge, a humanistic attitude (like when he saw those two lovers who he knew had sinned but he still feels sorry about them), a backing off of his enemies and of all the injustice from his age. You tell me what other work comes close to such an array of accomplishments. What I find most amazing is the way he tries to convice us that he really did go through that journey and in a way blends reality and fiction. Again, I don't think you can name a writer who had such a control over literature. In my opinion only Cervantes comes close.

And the balls on that guy! If you look at medieval Christian paintings, you can see how they didn't really care about beauty as the Greeks did, but more about emphasizing religious truth. Dante made a poem dedicated to Christianity and yet kept all of the beauty and wisdom of the ancient world. It would have been very easy for his work to be censored or brushed off by the church. Instead it became the cornerstone of the Renaissance and inspired many artists that we love. Not to mention the thing about embracing the Italian language instead of Latin, which obviously inspired other writers immensely.

Baaa im a sheep

Nice post dude

Not true

I agree, it's lame. Dante is so filled with moral envy, it's painfully obvious that he enjoys making sinners "pay" for the crimes they've committed.

At least an upright christian wouldn't find glee in the concept of Hell.
Not to mention that he makes his guide an infinitely better poet and his love a woman he didn't even dare talk to irl.
Painful, mediocre wish fulfillment.

It's imaginative. I'll give it that.
But there's undercurrents in it as mentioned that just ruin the work for me.

Like, his speech with "I'm just Dante I'm not worthy" despite the fact that he's writing this epic about himself. Just, the hipocrisy.

>These absolute fucking plebs are the dribbling fucking retards criticising your posts on Veeky Forums

>ad hominem

>Implying this is an argument
Fucking moron doesn't even understand the semantics of argument

another ad hominem

Do you even understand what you're regurgitating? You don't, do you?
You read it online somewhere and parroted it because you think it makes you appear smart and informed to other strangers over the internet.

How many books have you this so far this year? Or even in your life altogether? I'd wager that you've read less than 20 books in your entire life. Am I correct?

Fuck off, moron.

Where is it painfully obvious?

I had to force myself to finish inferno after a year or reading it on and off but purgatory and paradise to me a week to get through.
I'd just skip inferno if I were you, inferno's honestly just grotesque and disgusting.

It s a meme. Im english and we read chaucer in highschool. The poetry is good but evrything else is medieval garbage and religious bullshit. And if u read It translated you lose the poetry too.

PS: It s considered important just becouse its One of the major work written in english (anglo language) rather than latin

>Not knowing nothing about history of italian language.

>Not knowing nothing about history of english language.

That actually prove you dont know what u are talking about

There's no such thing as beautifully expressed bullshit
Also, ima add my voice to the chorus who are quite rightly calling you an idiot

Im not saying It is Total garbage. The poetry is really good, trust me, but the philosophy behind It is so old and meaningless now that the only value to It is historical.

And also 90% of people Who read dante are arrogant faggots Who only want to look down to other to feel better about themself

Apologies for the old translation, best I could find rn
>And I: "My Master, much should I be pleased,
If I could see him soused into this broth,
Before we issue forth out of the lake."
And he to me: "Ere unto thee the shore
Reveal itself, thou shalt be satisfied;
Such a desire 'tis meet thou shouldst enjoy."
A little after that, I saw such havoc
Made of him by the people of the mire,
That still I praise and thank my God for it.

>Geoffrey Chaucer (/ˈtʃɔːsər/; c. 1343 – 25 October 1400), known as the Father of English literature,[1] is widely considered the greatest English poet of the Middle Ages. He was the first poet to be buried in Poets' Corner of Westminster Abbey.

>Chaucer's work was crucial in legitimizing the literary use of the Middle English vernacular at a time when the dominant literary languages in England were French and Latin.

Why are you so insistent on being a fucking cretin?

Dante has one of the best description and conceptualization of Hell, Heaven and Purgatory.
Of course, brainlets don't see the value of metaphorical description of localized moral or immoral achievements because "religion is BS".

Your mother

I dont see the value in a moral based on a book written by sandnigger.

>Roman de Troie
good crit.

>this thread
>mfw when the >reading translations meme is coming home to roost

stop with this dumb satire of edgy contrarians, you're clogging up the board.

>swarthy surely italian btfo

ad hominem

t. a faggot

>a humanistic attitude (like when he saw those two lovers who he knew had sinned but he still feels sorry about them)
To me, this is the most important and amazing point of the Poem. No one else in the history of Literature has been able to understand HUMANITY like Dante. And by this I mean in its entirety. Passions and vices, mistakes and achievements: Man is seen and considered in every respect, through the moral judgment of course, but, even more, through the pity and compassion of the human Dante. Every possible character you can think of, even from the following literature, has already been written by Dante.

>No one else in the history of Literature has been able to understand HUMANITY like Dante.

heh

Usually, when I think about this I start crying.

saving for future copy pasta

Yeah, maybe only Shakespeare. Maybe.

I've only read the inferno so my perspective is limited, but from what I've it seems like the poem is an expression of Dante's love of mythology as a whole, in fact I would say he's very similar to Tolkien in that respect. The way he includes all these different figures and creatures from various mythologies and philosophies makes it one of the most Veeky Forums poems of all time because you have to be well read in order to appreciate what's happening.

>average 28k pages a year
>put effort into making a good and genuine post in a thread of unbridled cynical shitflinging
>get called a faggot pleb anyway
que sera sera

eyah man it's better in english

>>average 28k pages a year
cringe

No.

>Just think about how many things you can find in this poem: a dedication of love to a woman he never had (even though he had children from another one), a message about the meaning and purpose of humans, a praise of God, a nod to the ancient art and knowledge, a humanistic attitude (like when he saw those two lovers who he knew had sinned but he still feels sorry about them), a backing off of his enemies and of all the injustice from his age.

So you'll gonna prove your point or you'll just drop the boring shit he wrote and nobody except scholars cares about?

>nobody except scholars cares about

Just stop reading books man. It's the 21st century, there are many things that can appeal to you.

>are you going to prove to me that this $50 steak tastes better than my big mac or what?
user doesn't owe your ignorance shit, user.

nice arguments you have there m8.

I literally wrote a 2k words post full of arguments m8. Please shitpost somewhere else.

Not him, but I've read it 3 times in 3 different translations.So far Abilio Echeverria's is the most enjoyable I have read because he does not try to emulate, or better said: immitate, the metric into Spanish. While spanish metric it's inherited from italian romances from the renaissance and the middle ages (thanks to Garcilaso) the Divine Comedy loses it's semantic nature to it, aswell as its rythm. Echeverria then tried to reformulate the metric in his translation so narrative sense and rythm are well comunicated in spanish. Also, his footnotes are godtier.

I respect your opinion, while not agreeing, on religion. But, have you ever read Dante's de monarchia? It's such an important reflexion on the nature of politics that even Arendt was influeced by it.

>a dedication of love to a woman he never had (even though he had children from another one)
Oh great a rip off of the trobadours
>a message about the meaning and purpose of humans
Oh great isn't like Lucrecius didn't already achieved that, right?
>a praise of God
There are tons of poetry praising god in all cultures around the world, nothing great here either
>a nod to the ancient art and knowledge
Literality half of postmodern shit does this
>a humanistic attitude
Again, there are tons poetry like this. Nothing great.

Then I guess Dante was a big ol dummy for writing on universal subjects because others have done the same. What a doofus huh.