What's the Veeky Forums recommended e-reader?

What's the Veeky Forums recommended e-reader?

Other urls found in this thread:

www3.lenovo.com/us/en/tablets/android-tablets/tab3-series/Lenovo-TB3-730F/p/ZZITZTATB3F
howtogeek.com/181577/e-ink-vs.-lcd-which-screen-is-best-for-reading/
aliexpress.com/store/product/amazon-kindle-paperwhite-2-ebook-reader-book-e-book-electronic-6-e-ink-e-ink-free/1480248_2055077307.html
aliexpress.com/item/amazon-kindle-paperwhite-2-ebook-reader-book-e-book-electronic-6-e-ink-e-ink-free/2055077307.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

please respond

Kindle Paperwhite

Is it compatible with piracy?

Not that guy, I have a Kindle Paperwhite, it's not compatible by default, but there's the great open source/free software Calibre which can convert any format to Kindle's format.

But be aware that PDFs really don't work well with e-readers of that size.

Epub/mobi/azw3 all the way, and epubs are very popular in the usual piracy corners. Just convert them to azw3 (amazon's own current format, mobi is the older one) using calibre and you're good to go.

So just get the paperwhite, download calibre and convert files to the formats you listed and its all good... Its that easy? I won't regret buying a paperwhite with all the headaches etc?

That's how I do it.

Good sites are mobilism.org and gen.lib.rus.ec (don't forget to click the non-Russian fiction button too), choose epub or mobi, ignore pdfs if you can help it.

You may want to buy a cheap cover to carry it around, it takes quite a beating but I broke the display in my bag after 2 years.

>Killing the book industry with piracy.
kys

Thanks
>supporting capitalism
Get a load of this guy

Also Soulseek. Soulseek is fantastic for ebooks

yes it is, as long as the file is .mobi, if not just google a file converter and convert pdf,Epub etc to mobi and transfer it via usb

What you are looking is an Onyx Boox, comes with android and is an e-ink device

Can't beat that

The ONLY Veeky Forums approved e-reader is the PRS-700 2008 Sony E-Reader. You are literally a fucking pleb if you do not use it

You won't regret it. This is exactly what I do, and it's no headache at all.

I have a Kindle Paperwhite 3 and I love it. And yes, it supports "piracy" (i.e., you can sideload files with no problems). I also recommend using Calibre, it's awesome for organizing your library. My personal setup includes having the Calibre library in a GDrive folder, that way I automatically have an online copy of whatever the fuck I put into Calibre.

Moar pics! I like obscure readers.

>not the prs-t1 in red+cover

Ignore the normgroid Swindle Paperweight shills.
Kobo Aura One is the best ereader you can get.

I think this is true. I have a paperwhite and am happy with it but I wish I'd've gotten a Kobo.

Waterproof Kobo my nigga.

I have a black one. Am I cool now?

If you want the most piracy friendly and the least amount of work, you're going to have to get an actual tablet. I picked up a Lenovo A7 some years ago and it's battery life let me get in a solid 8 hours of reading without worrying for the first four years of owning it. The onboard google reader could handle a variety of files, including epub, with no problems. One or two apps covered every other format. Battery life did start to slip after a few years, but it remains convenient for taking to work. That particular model isn't manufactured any longer, but the Tab3 7 is basically it's slightly better brother.
www3.lenovo.com/us/en/tablets/android-tablets/tab3-series/Lenovo-TB3-730F/p/ZZITZTATB3F

was going to respond pretty cheeky, but then I found this
howtogeek.com/181577/e-ink-vs.-lcd-which-screen-is-best-for-reading/

I always see those comparisons done with black text, white background. Swap that shit. It makes everything much clearer.

you know it bothers me when reviews take points off for electronics that arent waterproof for 30 minutes at 10ft below the surface..

like just dont drop your shit in the water you retarded faggot

I just got my PRS-600 in the mail today, scored the device + cover + shipping for less than $20 on eGay, perfect shape too

I've got paperwhite and just leave a lot of shit as pdfs and it's fine for me.

and it gets even better if you crop margins and remove hidden data with acrobat

Yeah, I only got the red because it as 20 euros less.
And the cover came with a discount which amounted to 10 euro extra or the seen cover, I felt great.

*was **for

>It's in use for a longer time I visit Veeky Forums
>yes you can tell prolly
>especially after that

Please tell me what's a good PDF editing software

pirate acrobat portable

or there is open source software called BRISS, but I have found acrobat portable better.

As in white text on a black background? is that the future?

is paperwhite significantly better than the regular kindle? I have one coming in the mail and am getting doubts from this thread

>Not him
But for amoled screens {if you don't know what that is, probably a smartphone/tablet screen} it's the shit. For e-ink the normal black on white would do.
Readability doesn't matter but load/print time/battery-load would take a larger toll.

What is your recommendation of e readers for someone who lives in a 3rd world country?

Can you convert pdfs for the older versions of kindle?
I can buy this to mainly use it for the pdfs we use for our classes. Will I be okay with this?

aliexpress.com/store/product/amazon-kindle-paperwhite-2-ebook-reader-book-e-book-electronic-6-e-ink-e-ink-free/1480248_2055077307.html

kindles are bad for pdf. use a tablet.

>killing the book industry by buying worthless ebooks instead of hardcovers(tm)

why though?
how is it better?
i mean besides being double the price

I have a kindle paperwhite and it's great, but so many books on libgen are in PDF format. If you want to save a bit of money, get a tablet.

what is the average lifespan of a PW? bought one the other day, wonder how long it'll last.

And kill your eyesight

Can't you convert those pdfs to the revelant format, though?

I don't see any reason to not return it and get a Paperwhite.

Have mine for about four, five years, it's as good as new whereas a smartphone is running significantly slower after two years.

Looks like a larger-screened calculator.

This thread is absolutely fucking disgusting.

Download Calibre and it sorts everything out for you. It's so convenient, I'm still in awe. It can even download magazines for you, ffs

>If you want the most piracy friendly and the least amount of work
nah
also, no e-ink screen

I'll have to hand out and additional 200 buck ((local currency)). it's not impossible but it's almost double the price, dont wanna spend it if I don't have double the kindle

don't you have a website for secondhand electronics?

We do have it but I trust aliexpress more than that site.

Oh nevermind I just checked, It is much more expensive than buying this one.

Well, what would you recommend? I am legitimately interested.

I wouldn' pay that much for this oldass kindle tho

this

Why? Isn't it good for reading converted pdfs and books?

I use it for pdfs of textbooks in my classes but it's kinda slow about opening them and changing pages compared to other formats.

But it works fine in a pinch. I've tried converting the textbook pdfs but man it just won't convert right no matter what I use.

Thanks for your reply. I think I will think about it more. But what about battery life? and mobility?

Whatever shitty phone I currently have. You people are a bunch of wieners.

battery life is great and it's pretty light and can fit in a good sized pocket

but for pdf it's weak

If we are able to convert it then it is great but if it's as you said, then I will just waste my money buying that shit.

stop posting

Yeah I guess if you're only gonna use it to hold textbook pdfs it's not for you. Look around cause I honestly didn't try too hard to convert. I only tried twice and gave up cause I use it mainly for other books I actually read and I barely use my textbooks for classes.

But when I did attempt to convert it just ended up kinda jumbled everywhere, the pictures and tables in the text mismatched and shit. If someone else hear has better advice on converting I'd love to hear it. I've had better luck if it's just a regular book in pdf format converted to mobi/azw3.

Guess I'm a buyfag and gonna buy that shit. I cannot read anything on my pc. It hurts my eyes. My smartphone's battery dies in 2 hours. Thanks for the info senpai.

it's hardly the worst purchase. I got mine for less than hundred and I use it at least every other day.

It's not too terrible for pdfs in horizontal view. I might try the editing software someone mentioned here to crop my pdf texts but again idk cause damn if I use my textbooks for shit.

But for other books it's awesome. The light is real easy on the eyes and comfy.

pls respond

Waterproof (not water resistant), much larger screen with the same ppi, thinner, warm light feature, more memory and better customization

When I convert 59$ to my national currency it becomes 219. A bit high I suppose but secondhands are more expensive.

>71 posts
>no mention of Aldiko

I always knew that Veeky Forums didn't actually read ebooks. Probably just reading reddit on the bus instead

Why would I bother using this over my e-reader? Maybe people here just don't like phone reading.

Aldiko doesn't store the page number by book. So when you open another one, the system will forget where you left at the previous book. Also, enjoy the retarded game advertisements when opening it.

please die in a car crash

also moonreader looks better imo

>Ultimately, it’s all about what you want to use your device for. If you really just want to use it for reading, an eReader is definitely the best option — you can read outside, you have longer battery life, and you won’t be distracted. But, if you want a device to use for other things too, a tablet with an LCD screen might be a better option.

No shit.
That is the most useless article of all time, who didn't know that already?

lel true
but I was talking about 'the eyestrain debate'

So I have a Nook, not sure how old it is but it's definitely been a few years. How has the technology changed since then? Is there any reason to get a newer one?

Any mainstream brand works. Obscure brands may have software errors so be careful when buying them. I had one that freezed so often that I couldn't even use it.

Should last pretty long. I'm still using two Kindles that are like 7 years old. Their batteries are nowhere near full capacity but since e-readers have such insane batteries anyway, they're still usable. Maybe a new one would last through 10-20 books, these will still handle a few, so plenty good enough.

>If you want the most piracy friendly and the least amount of work, you're going to have to get an actual tablet.
I'm not aware of any e-readers that take actual anti-piracy measures, friend.

Kindle has limited file format support but you can often find the .mobi version anyway (which you can just drag and drop on the Kindle) and calibre does the conversion automatically. Kobo and others often support .epub out of the box so you won't even need calibre most of the time (but it is so convenient that I'd use it anyway)

I guess an android tablet would have the advantage that you could download the books on the tablet itself but who'd actually like to do that

Can we read manga on a 6" ebook reader like Kindle 4 or 5?

Not really. You'd want a 10" screen for that so that you won't need no zooming.

Just get a tablet for comics.

I'm a newfag with these kind of devices, what's the use of Calibre if you can just use an online epub to mobi converter for example?

Its just a nice interface and a nice library/catalog thing for your books.

I'd imagine that it is also faster to use than an online converter, especially if you want to do many files at once.

>What's the use of a Ferrari when I just can ride the bus?

I know that some of the older models don't have a backlit screen, so I'd say it's worth upgrading for that.

I have the GlowLight Plus and I'm happy with it.

>Not reading paper books

My parents have been eyeing my Kindle Paperwhite and even borrowed it for a bit, and we've talked about them letting me buy them one, but they shot up to $120 now, what the fuck? Same with Nook. When these pieces of shit gonna go down in price?

That makes absolutely no sense

I just bought this for 54 bucks which equals to 200 in my country's currency.
aliexpress.com/item/amazon-kindle-paperwhite-2-ebook-reader-book-e-book-electronic-6-e-ink-e-ink-free/2055077307.html