Socrates Life refutes itself

Can someone explain how this is wrong?

>Spends life advocating against sophistry
>cant convince the mob
>sophists can convince the mob
>gets killed by the mob
>somehow this is validating?

Socrates Life refutes itself

Its some kid on twitter thinking he's profound for saying socrates is a dummy. Twitter is shit. sage

Plato was the one really agaisnt sophistry, and many say that's because they were his competitors in the market.

>sophists can convince the mob
Except when they can't. The art of the sophists is not a magic wand that makes you win the election every time, ask the Saudis paying the Clinton Foundation. Also this:

It's not wrong. Schopenhauer, the only true Platonist that ever was, saw it too. How can you bear to be mere appearance when the forms exist?

You are making an incorrect assumption about its purpose

cuz the forms aren't there twice

there is nothing socrates could "convince" athens to believe - he knew that he knew nothing

>yeah, Darwinian epistemology sounds like a good idea.

>goal is to "convince" the mob
wrong,
Goal was stimulating critical thinking
Read more than the wiki please.

I don't believe the apology actually happened.

Plato was just trying to portray Socrates in a more dignified manner.

Determining the truth is unrelated to the approval of the masses. This is an appeal to popularity fallacy.

Unless you actually think the point of philosophy is gaining followers. Maybe you are confusing it with theology.

What punctuation is supposed to come after Socrates? I can think of half a dozen that would give different meanings.

>Might makes right
Works only in the short term because of the amount of energy necessary to punish others. It's an unstable system.

I see you, ANW.

>Goal was stimulating critical thinking
This guy gets it.
So does this guy.
You really gotta examine the actual trial, too, OP: the vote to execute was extremely close; Socrates' enemies barely won out, and they had the general ignorance and prejudices of the masses on their side.
This means that the critical thinkers almost - ALMOST - outnumbered the ignorant. Think about that for a second: a society in which ALMOST HALF THE POPULATION are capable of critical thought.
Is it any wonder they built the Parthenon? Democracy? Philosophy? Science?

Socrates wasn't tried, convicted and executed by the mob. He was tried, convicted and executed by the Athenian state, literally the opposite to the mob. The challenge Socrates made was the authority the state rested upon was illegitimate, and by executing him for criticising its illegitimacy they demonstrated its illegitimacy and ensured Socrates' outlook would become dominant, which it did.

>implying socrates existed
He was just made up by Platon
just like engels made up stirner[/spolier]

>authority the state rested upon was illegitimate
What was the state's claimed authority, and why was it illegitimate?

>Stirner was a spook
holy shit

>The challenge Socrates made was the authority the state rested upon was illegitimate, and by executing him for criticising its illegitimacy they demonstrated its illegitimacy

maybe i'm stupid, but wasn't it the exact opposite?

i thought socrates willingly accepted their sentence because to refuse it would be to refuse the democracy and the ideals and benefits of the society he lived in, which he embraced wholeheartedly.

didn't he state that he would be a hypocrite if he fled or refused judgment? i thought someone offered to give him an out, but he refused because that would mean going against athenian democracy, which he supported.

The claimed authority was tradition, as inherited from Theseus and the gods, and it was illegitimate because some fat, ugly old man going around asking stupid, annoying questions showed it to be a lot of horseshit.

Socrates is a trickster. There are a lot of different interpretations of the trial of Socrates and what he's saying and doing and why. He does say that, but he spends the entire trial ridiculing the procedure and ensuring he'll be found guilty, as someone who wants to be executed to prove a point not as someone throwing themselves at the mercy of the state.

>be Socrates
>don't tolerate opinions
>told to tolerate opinions, or die
>okay, hand over the poison
>w... w... w... what?
>I die for the truth
>smiles
>gulp
>be noisy pleb
>see poison-drinker's smile every night
>feel constant shame
>be on death bed
>realize why he was smiling

the game

Socrates refutes life is Nietzsches perspective but it has nothing to do with his inability to convince others not to kill him.