Your subject

>your subject
>a subject you wish you'd done instead and why

Chemistry
Maths or computer science because I'm good with numbers and nine hour days in the lab make me want to kill myself

Maths and computer science
Chemistry because I would have loved to be in the lab by myself and making all sorts of stuff for fun at home

Electrical And Computer Engineering
Nothing. I wish I wouldn't have wasted my time in college. I could have gotten a shit web dev job 4.5years earlier like I have now without being in debt.

literally me, except in the future

One of the sad realities of doing a lab-heavy degree is it's easy to lose that spark for doing practical projects in your spare time. My research has its fun moments, but now that it's started to feel like an actual job the last thing I want to do when I get home is start up another experiment.

Sorry to hear that user.Perhaps you can get your graduate degree in math.

>EE
>Comp Sci

EE is absolute hot garbage right now. No internships anywhere. ChemEng is even worse. Veeky Forums is so fucking clueless.

Lads, if you're in engineering, just switch to Comp Sci. Trust me.

>chemistry
>Some form of engineering
>Probably aerospace

geology
computer science

Computer Science
Anything else, because sitting in a chair all day staring at a text editor or bullshitting in meetings makes me want to kill myself

>mathematics
>mathematics but this time I'm not a brainlet that will never achive anything

Chemical engineering
I got lucky for pretty much picking the major at a whim, I like it a lot

I don't mind sitting a lot of the day, but I work in a fancy skyscraper, AKA a monument to man's arrogance. I wish I could open the window, see trees, and hear birds

>working remotely in the park from a mobile WiFi hotspot masterrace
Without this, I would have shot myself. Not really. I would have quit my job no doubt.

>Computer engineering
>Mechanical engineering
I don't care if there are more computer jobs, ME's get to build all of the cool shit and they are what most people imagine when you talk about engineering something.

Comp eng
I'm conflicted about philosophy, bc if that were my degree I could read philosophical texts all day and call it learning. But once my degree is done I'd have no jobs.
With comp eng I'll have a good paying job, but no time to read about the wisdom of the ancients

geophysics
Materials science because it's cool as fuck working with crystals and making new metal alloys

Too real

>ME's get to build all of the cool shit
The sad reality is that most mech engs design your next washing machine or dryer. The luckier ones get in automative, and obly a select few actually builds robots and other cool shit

>he fell for the software side of EE

>get electrical And Computer Engineering degrees
>go to the most brainlet branch of software
Why?

I graduated as CS major with math minor. If I could go back time, I'd have math major with CS minor. Why? Because most of the CS courses were waste of time.

>Computing
>Astronomy
I really like space

>Computer Science
>Mathematics
CS may give you lotsa money but it feels like castrated math when it's good, EE when it's not complete garbage and the most boring code monkey shit in the entire fucking world when I take the actual courses that have anything to do with any job I'd be getting (Software Engineering, etc.).
Besides, all those nerds have no love for my nibba Euler.

>Philosophy
>Physics
It's easier to study physics in class and philosophy at home as opposed to the opposite, which is what I am doing right now.

First year EE, could you elaborate more ?

>math is not a bigger waste of time

AHAHHAHA I'm cracking up!

>Medicine
>Aerospace Engineering

Was originally snubbed for Aero because I was a math brainlet.

medicine is superior to everything what the fuck are you talking about

I'm about to go into a philosophy major. I've got an interest in maths and physics, but need to spend atleast a year or so playing catch up so I can be university-par for either. Any advice?

First few years are pretty shitty so probably grass is greener scenario.

This is not a YLYL thread

sorry you feel that way. Everyone knows that doctors are at the top of the ladder in intelligence. Maybe you will get the grades to study medicine in your next life, sorry about you, bud. better luck next time.

Your mom would be prouder of you if you were a doctor, user.

Biochemistry
Biophysics
Because the extra knowledge of statistical mechanics, thermodynamics etc. is more useful than pipette training.

Do NOT go into philosophy. It's LITERALLY a waste of time. You'll realize in the end that literally all of philosophy is just arbitrary bullshit because of the way human cognition works, and science is the only thing that can truly hint at the real nature of ourselves/the world.

Irony aside, this is actually true. While other majors can get a degree by getting C’s in all their classes, doctors need all A’s in undergrad to maybe have a chance of getting into med school, then need to be at least at the top ~15% of their class, studying at least 12 hours a day, to actually finish med school. Now do that while also working through your residencies. It’s a complete joke now people on Veeky Forums think some kid with a BS/MS in some engineering field is comparable to a first-world doctor.

im in biophysics with a background in biochem. There really is so much overlap, it's just thinking about molecules in a different way, thermodynamics behind binding affinities/protein folding states and whatnot. It's really not a hard transition.

>Irony aside
I'm not joking, I really mean my post. I also agree with yours.

>STEM
>arts

Fuck. I feel this so fucking hard...

>tfw it's too late

>geophysics
>CS or web design

Turns out this earth science/research stuff barely pays the bills unless you go work for oil & gas where instead you're a disposable tool based on a fluctuating commodity price.

Meanwhile, retards copypaste from stackoverflow and make more in a year than I do in three. I maintain legacy code for old scientific models but since it doesn't produce a slick dropdown menu or whatever nobody gives a fuck. And now that I've realized my mistake, it's too late and doesn't matter because every third world pajeet and their mom is jumping into the field at light speed.

Oh well, better luck next life when it's my turn to spin the wheel of arbitrary success again.

>Computer Science
>Statistics/Applied or Pure Mathematics After taking a couple of classes I realized I should have studied this and keep creating my start-up on the side.

>you need good grades to get into med school
Pic related. 3.88 is average for the #1 school when you can do premed with any major?
I agree that if you do get into med school you have to put in hard work, but dont act like it is tough to qualify for this shit

CS/Math double major
Biochemistry

>my subject
Applied Math
>subject i wish I did
no other subject. this is great.

What do y'all think of CE? I'm sort of between that and EE, what worries me most is ending up in some software codemonkey job

why does the code monkey job matter if you get paid well enough?

Worries you ? You can make way more money that way. You seem to be a little naive about the job market. I studied CE too and I regret it. When I studied it I liked it . But the job market for pure CE has been declining drastically, I had t work in software and I had to compete with many of my friends who had way more practical experience and knowledge of Software than I did. Improve. Adapt .Evolve.

>CS and statistics
>Mathematics

I'd end up in the same place, but my favourite Japanese cartoon website would probably give me more respect I deserve.

>Mathematical Statistics
>some kind of engineering
Would be cool to actually build something

Money isn't the only thing I care about, otherwise I'd do CS or something easier. I just find hardware more interesting than software, at least in theory.
Can you elaborate? Do you think I'd have better chances going for EE? Programming is cool and all but I really don't like the idea of sitting there working on business apps all day.

CompE is a subfield of EE so if you want a wider number of jobs and fields you can work in then EE is better. As others said codemonkey jobs can pay more, but you are an actual monkey and dont work on anything cutting edge with a bachelors. I have assumed that the high average of codemonkey pay is because of California's high wage + high CoL, but t b h it might just be higher anyways

Ahahahahahahah. So much misinformation here.

AHAHAHAHAHAA.

First of all: No, you cannot do any major and still get into med school. If you’re not in Biochem or Bioeng, you’re already at a severe disadvantage and definitely won’t be getting into Harvard’s med school or Johns Hopkins. A 3.88 in biochem or bioeng, while also completing premed requirements and working an internship, is ridiculously hard to keep up. Hence why the people who can do it are going to the top med schools in the world.

Get over it kid. You’ll never be on the level of doctors.

Yeah there's a huge demand for code monkeys right now and CS is totally the hot thing but desu I think it's creating a bubble that will pop. It's not the easiest major ever but continuously state schools are dumbing down the curriculum to appeal to the lowest common denominator, at a lot of these state colleges, CS is actually just teaching programming skills. Sort of like how back in the day everyone and their mom tried majoring in Petroleum engineering because they googled "what majors get paid the most". I think within a few years to a decade CS will be oversaturated as all fuck and will be less valuable. I could be wrong though, this is entirely speculation and I have 0 exposure to the actual job market, but I think it's possible I'm right.

My brother in law went to Columba med school with some horseshit undergrad degree but two letters of recommendation from mommy and daddy who were deans of a business school and engineering school respectively. He complained nonstop but made it through fine in the end.

Stop putting these people on a pedestal when a fair majority greased their way in with some sort of shady garbage.

Master of science and engineering in physics

Marine Biology. I really like the ocean, I don't really like physics.

Astrophysics.. less then a year from a phd. Wish I would have done history or library science.

Yes, you can do any major. You can just complete those easy ass biology, chemistry, and psychology classes on the side like electives. Biochem, biology, microbio are pretty easy courseloads and even if you are doing research or an internship a 3.88 is not too hard to maintain. Sorry for popping your bubble.
t. Physics major top Med school applicant, went for phd instead of med school but sometimes regret my decision

>physics
>EE or math

tfw I fell for the physics meme

Electrical Engineering
I kinda wish I did math but maybe I'll get a masters.

The humanities departments of any university these days in the western world is totally corrupt. They will shove Marxism down your throat and expect you to regurgitate it. Do literally anything else as long as it's in the sciences.

Mechanical engineering and Nuclear engineering

Advice please, I'm in community college right now to save money but I have no idea where to go with my education. I'm proficient at math, I'd say calculus was easy but in general I don't enjoy doing math. With physics, it's interesting and easy, but repetitious and not all that enjoyable sometimes. I love chemistry, easy and fun but I worry that'd once I go to higher level courses I'll have to take some math courses that I could understand but wouldn't enjoy a single bit. On the other hand I love social sciences, sociology and history mostly, but higher ed is infested by idiotic Marxists.
whattodo.jpg
>Honestly thinking about getting a trade possibly in some maritime industry and making time to study down the road

I'm CS, and honestly I'm pretty happy. The one thing I would fix is depression fucking up my grades and academic progress. If that weren't the case, I could probably have done all the math electives I'm currently doing without tacking on an extra year and getting fucked by loans.

I'd recommend not doing social sciences, just purely for self preservation (unless you happen to be a gay-black-queer-mtf-transexual, then you should infiltrate the ranks and work to make things suck less)

I've been wondering if I could chameleon my way into a sociology doctorate and receive a professorial position. After receiving the position and tenure, switch up and as the kids say on /pol/ "redpill" my students
>am white and straight
>don't know if this is possible

Like what kind of arts?

Seriously if y'all are talking about learning an instrument or painting/sculpting, just teach yourself how to play in your free time. You'll have a tough time starting out, but if you stick with it and work hard, you'll be somewhat competent after a year or so. Achieving virtuoso tier takes 5 to [math]\infty[/math] years if you aren't a prodigy though.

t. someone who taught them self how to play guitar when they were 12 and has actually had songs used for commercials

If you do a social science, at least do one that is considered math heavy for a social science, and minor in math, stat, or cs if possible.

Absolutely skullfuck your major, get a 3.5+ GPA if you get in to a top tier university and then go to grad school for a STEM subject. You gotta diversify your bonds nigga. Also don't be autistic, if you can communicate decently you'll be in high demand after graduation.

Though honestly, I too have always dreamed of doing a maritime related job, but I'd rather get a well paying job and buy a used 30-50 ft offshore fishing boat later down the road and take to the sea on the weekends.

Chemistry and Math
Math and Philosophy

Chemistry is interesting but I didn't fall in love with it like I thought I would.

I wished I would have focused primarily on math as I'm good at it, it's more challenging, and think it leads to more exciting opportunities. Double major in philosophy because I loved the few philosophy classes I took and my future is tied to my math degree anyways.

This, Couldn't get the A's switched over to nursing cause ima brainlet. Hard as fuck major but rewarding in a practical application kinda way. Very hands on

Medicine
Anything besides medicine, holy shit

This shit is old asf. You won't get into a top ten without a a 3.9, 515+ and extensive research, leadership, clinical nonclinical volunteering, etc... Admissions has gotten exponentially more competitive the past 5 years, unless if you're black or hispanic.

Philosophy will only make you grow hungrier for Math and Physics knowledge, you will also get better at Philosophy if you studied these two. I would say its totally worth waiting.

>Nursing
>Law
really think in my 20s that I wasted my life with nursing and ill be working 16 hour days for the rest of my life

What's wrong with it?

isn't that a rad tech

Please kys as soon as possible thank you
M E T A P H Y S I C S
E
T
A
P
H
Y
S
I
C
S

Also
Switched from chemistry major to applied math + philosophy, couldn't be happier
> mfw LARPing as Descartes

most doctors i know cant even split the bill correctly or calculate a 15% tip without help from a calculator, that doesnt sound like top anything to me

The nurses I know work 12 hour days, 3 days a week. Why do you feel like you're stuck?

I'm also interested in more info.

Geology

No other subject, but i do wish i had taken a less shitty structural geology class and more in depth sedimentology mineralogy classes than what i was able to take.

Tfw small department at most schools means you get stuck with whatever deficiencies that department has. My current uni has great glaciology/geophysics professors but the one structure guy they had left and we got stuck with an absolutely horrible first time teacher who fucked us over by being habitually incompetent.

Anybody else here in software development/CS who wants to kys? I want a hands on job. What should I do with my life?

Wouldn't you be making some serious money with those hours?

I'm a few of the minorities you listed, and I couldn't stomach social sciences. It's total mindfuck.

>your subject
Physics
>a subject you wish you'd done instead and why
Mathematics. I enjoyed it much more as an undergraduate. I was even - dare i say - passionate about it. I can't say the same for physics. I just want to get some skills and get a nice job

Admissions committees are probably refreshed by non-biology/biochem/chemistry majors anyway. Anything to break the monotony, given the thousands of apps they read.
>Oh boy, another biochem major who was student body president and went on a mission trip to El Salvador. Fuck me up the ass.

CS

Math

I like math better than CS. All the cool parts of CS are either:

(a) Actually math

(b) Just cool because you're solving problems, but solving math problems is more fun

I have 3/4 of a Math bachelors anyway, but I had to go ahead and graduate in order to get a job. Oh well, there's always grad school I guess.

The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is...

Econ/Math

Fell for the huge jew here. I wish I'd done CS/Math

Environmental Science.
Environmental Science but I don't slack.
This is coming from someone who didn't get into pre-med at the school I wanted.

I love philosophy too user, just keep it as a hobby until you retire or want to start a second career as a philosophy lecturer.

Many of the best philosophers were multidisciplinary anyway, IMO

>medfags trying to brag on Veeky Forums
fucking lol. enjoy being replaced by expert systems in 15 years, you human database

metaphysics doesn't necessarily have anything to do with physics, and you need an extraordinarily strong background in physics to get anything sensible out of metaphysics.

go be a brainlet somewhere else

Civil Engineering
Refrigeration, at a community college

Med students are fucking monkeys sometimes. I mean often my classmates do not question why this drug works or gives side effects etc, they just accept it as it is, and its in a research-oriented Ivy med school. Instead of saying "we dont really know how it works", they will suck off professors dick and agree with any bullshit explanation of anyone further then themselves on the medical career ladder. There are some decent thinkers and smart kids though, but usually they go intro research completely, while the rest just want to get some $$$$$ before medical system collapses to the single payer.

Med school is non fucking stop. I've been burnt out since the end of my first semester. Shit sucks.