Did he seriously believe in God or was it just satire?

Did he seriously believe in God or was it just satire?

>muh god
>muh god
>muh god
>muh god

Literally every sentence is muh god. Like we get it, Augustine, why do you have to shove your Christian God in our faces?

Recommend me something better Veeky Forums

never post here again

>why do you have to shove your Christian God in our faces?
Why did you read it? What were you expecting?

I thought Veeky Forums was supposed to be smart/savvy

He's...confessing to both us and god. Has your autism been clinically diagnosed yet?

>triggered by someone being so devoted to their faith

Confessions is one of the most comprehensible and yet incomprehensible books for the Modern mind. The language, scenarios and experiences are similar, and yet the way we understand faith so incredibly divorced from it.

Have some humility and learn something from it.

This. OP should never try to read anything remotely philosophical again with that mindset.

> reads a book by Saint Agustine about confessing to God
> is surprised it's full of confessions to God

What the fuck are you doing, OP, do you struggle to spell your own name too?

You're reading the wrong translation.

first post best post

I read it because Veeky Forums recommended it to me. I was expecting some original philosophical thoughts and ideas that would affect me profoundly as a person, but I guess I was expecting too much and I didn't learn anything. It's literally him just sucking God. Anyone can suck God that much, I don't see what's so special about him.

>Anyone can suck God that much, I don't see what's so special about him.

If you can't get past this and read it for what it is you'll never "get it". Go read something you'll actually enjoy

Fpbp

this is a bait thread

say that to my face you fucking cunt

>I was expecting some original philosophical thoughts and ideas that would affect me profoundly as a person
Confessions is full of that, though...you really are just autistic and obviously can't comprehend anything you read.

Holy shit my man

>Confessions is full of that, though...
Yeah, sure. Like what? Give me an example.

For you [God] are infinite and never change. In you 'today' never comes to an end: and yet our 'today' does come to an end in you, because time, as well as everything else, exists in you. If it did not, it would have no means of passing. And since your years never come to an end, for you they are simply 'today'...But you yourself are eternally the same. In your 'today' you will make all that is to exist tomorrow and thereafter, and in your 'today' you have made all that existed yesterday and for ever before.

That's mistaking nonsense for deep thought. He really tries hard to seem adequate in philosophy and all, but in reality it's all impractical and nonsensical.

Ok, now I know that you're just baiting. Nobody is this retarded.

Applying platonist and neoplatonist ideas to Christianity.

You didn't even post an argument for why this is quote is insightful. You just posted it.

It's insightful for this reason

Why would I post an argument for why a famous quote is insightful? It's pretty self-evident and doesn't require too much thought. You asked me to post an example, not to think for you.

Oh, so he found a more creative and inventive way to suck God? Genius.

This is a troll post, right?

"muh" is my least favorite meme. even worse than "does ___ once"

>Literally reads theology and complains about there being talk of God.

Fucking bait.

This tbhfam.

Agreed. It's lost its luster, time to retire it.

It's pretty much just that, yes. Learn not to expect too much from religious lit recs.