Chicken Liver

Redpill me on this cheap meat. I just bought a frozen box of it because it's cheap as fuck (considered a waste products). I thought about frying it with onions and some creame and tatoes.

Will it fuck me up due to all this beeing a waste disposal organ and shit? How much can I eat before overdosing?

Other urls found in this thread:

mommypotamus.com/bayou-dirty-rice-recipe/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

if you want cheap meat that actually tastes good, get some beef short ribs next time.

>Will it fuck me up due to all this beeing a waste disposal organ and shit?
Nope. Some people think of the liver as a "waste filter" but that's very inaccurate. The liver is not a filter, rather it secretes enzymes which break down wastes in the blood. Even if it was a "filter" that would be fine too--chickens are slaughtered at a very young age so there's no time for toxins to build up anyway.

>>How much can I eat before overdosing?
As much as you want. It's only certain specific Arctic animals, like seals or polar bears, which have poisonous livers. And that's not due to "toxins". It's due to Vitamin A.

Anyway, chicken livers are delicious, cheap, and they are very nutritious. Go for it.

They're delicious in a risotto

I've read that the Vit A thing is actually dangerous even in chicken livers, especially to pregnant women. The same sources tell me to not eat more than two servings a month. Which is shit because I'm autistic and love to eat the same food for a couple weeks sometimes.

Sounds like some whackjob bullshit to me. Chicken livers are widely consumed in the US south (I used to live in Alabama) and any sort of medical conditions resulting from it are unheard of.

Was this on one of those panic-bait "health sites" that also preaches chemtrails and crystal healing? Or are your sources actually credible?

Nah, I'm from germany and watch out to not fall for this pseudo-science around. Most sources I read simply said that to prevent overdosing one shouldn't eat more than 2-4 servings max a month due to too much Vitamin A.

And I would add that it's also a traditional german dish.

a way that i had them growing up was chicken fried

then my dad would make a stew out of tomatoes, onions, peppers, etc., eat that over some rice. the acid helps cut through the richness of the livers, it can get overwhelmingly organ-y

just don't get gout

Liver has a metric fuck ton of cholesterol. FYI.

You aren't going to die from eating too much chicken liver you fucking retard.

people who say 'redpill' unironically should die from iron poisoning. or just cease to exist however they can.

>inb4 Veeky Forumsizens start eating 50 raw chicken livers for breakfast

While I was studying in a medrese in Turkey we would make chicken liver a lot. It's fairly cheap and easy to make and it's quite tasty. We would prepare it for the morning meal we had before we fasted and all the students would really like it. Never heard of any body getting sick or uncomfortable from it tho

agreed.

>what is vitamin A toxicity

Cholesterol is a meme.

>You aren't going to die from eating too much chicken liver you fucking retard.
You can die from drinking too much water (more than 7L/h). Everything can be deadly. Retard.

>unironically
Obviously I'm not escaping the matrix if you inform me on the dangerous amounts of chicken liver, user.

According to a quick google, chicken liver has 4296μg of vitamin A per 100g, and recommended daily allowance to prevent Vitamin A toxicity is at most 3000μg a person.

So 2 times a month may be a bit too cautious, but eating it daily might be a bad idea.

>eating liver every day

I'd be more worried about gout than vitamin A poisoning.

Also I'd be concerned about getting tired of eating the same thing every day.

>gout
Isn't this only relevant if you already have it, like with sugar and diabetes?

Chicken hearts are better. When I was raft guiding in Alaska last summer the local grocery had hearts for a $1 a pound. Really good in stew or fried up with rice and veggies.

Pure curiousity. Did you cut them into tiny little pieces? I've eaten pork and beef heart and I always separated the chambers and removed connective tissue. Chicken heart sounds as chewy as their gizzard.

Liver has a boat load of vitamin B. I usually fry mine in butter and onions or use it for a base for gravy. They are delicious.

Pan fried with like 50 grams of butter, add some onions and some whisky for some fancypancy Flambé add some heavy creme if you want some sauce, add salt and pepper. Enjoy some liver on some newly made bread

I'd split them, but didn't really chop them up or anything. They're a little chewy, but not as bad as larger animal hearts. Also helps if you cook them in something acidic. One of the best things we did was soak them in a lime based marinade and grill them on skewers.

Try this cajun dirty rice recipe. I like to slather it in hot sauce and it's my go to when I have a bunch of chicken livers. Da' shit, I kid you not!

mommypotamus.com/bayou-dirty-rice-recipe/

>studying at a fucking madrasa

So did you get brainwashed into believing infidels must be converted or killed for the great ummah? That becoming a martyr is the fastest way to jannah?

Obama studied at one and I don't remember him doing any of that

Did I say 'you can't'? Oh, that's right I didn't, maybe before you feign superiority you could at least learn how to read at a 2nd grade level you fucking mongoloid.

You might want to go through those livers and check to see if there are any gallbladders still attached.
It looks like a black sac and if it's touched the liver meat it leaves a greenish hue. Try not to puncture it.
If you happen to accidentally cook the gallbladders with the batch it'll ruin the whole lot. It tastes incredibly bitter. In fact, if you see any green color on the livers it's best to cut off that area or toss the whole liver.

I marinate my chicken livers in some beer and stir them a few times (some people use buttermilk). Then I mix up some flour and spices and batter them using an egg wash. Fry for a little bit. And wa la.

Doesn't matter. Both your claims are wrong as the point is TOO MUCH.

Thanks for the advice, they are still half frozen, I'll check them tomorow. I also heard of people letting them sit in milk against the bitterness.

I already prepared a nice onion-creme sauce for tomorow so I'll probably not going to marinade them this time.

Still thanks, there is will be enough left to try the posted recipes.

>if you already have it

Gout is inflamed arthritis caused by dietary choices, particularly being overweight, drinking too much alcohol or eating too much red meat or organ meat. It's not genetic and you're not born with it, the only way to get it is through lopsided dietary choices.

Well, I'm at a healthy weight, don't drink alcohol and rarely eat meat due to shekels. But yeah, probably not such a good idea to eat it too often.

Somebody a better idea for cheap but good meat? Chicken liver costs around 2,50€/kg.(3$/2.2 lbs). I'll try out the chicken hearty next time

Just make sure you clean out the membranes and soak them in milk overnight first.

Is there a how-to somewhere? Or is it just like with chickebreast where you can feel the membrane easily?

The Portuguese make a good chicken liver dish which is basically frying the livers in onion, garlic, chillies and red wine, served with bread/rice.

Personally I'me not a huge fan of the liver taste but the sauce is pretty good

If you ate two or three chicken livers every day for a month, you would likely get Hypervitaminosis A.

Twice a week, never.

Your "sources" probably also think that 400IU of D3 is the maximum safe amount. You get that sitting next to a window on a cloudy day for half an hour. If these doctors, more afraid of getting sued than actually interested achieving optimal states of health, were right in their hysterical over-cautiousness, then sunbathing would be a form of suicide.

In short, all RDAs are dramatically low-balled due to the medical profession's fear of lawsuits. Take too much on their advice and get queasy, and they get sued. Take too little and die of malnutrition, and they're in the clear.

I use chicken liver to catch young channel catfish which I then turn into a tasty meal. The young catfish have very little mercury, dioxin, and PCBs in them. I can't really see using chicken liver for anything else. Though, a stir fry with liver strips and veggies with Hunan sauce may be tasty.

Your fishing hole looks like a toxic waste sewage dump.

Peri Peri chicken liver is awesome!

It isn't. That's just winter after a big rain then it started snowing. I live in BFE and everything is really clean here, but everything is clay soil so when it rains, all the streams, rivers, and lakes get silted up like chocolate water. The pollution warnings are state-wide, but not really for this area. I still like to err on the side of caution. In the summer, during Dog Days, when it isn't raining you can see all the way to the bottom of the lakes.

My ferrets think they're tasty af

Yeah you shouldn't eat it too much. It will give you gout or stones.

I'm curious about both hearts and gizzards. I never saw them growing up, but I just moved and my new grocery store sells 3lb packs of chicken gizzards and hearts for a dollar a pound. I'd like to take advantage of that cheap protein, but I have no idea if I'd like either kind of offal or how to cook them.

Oh hey there's a tip, thanks. How about gizzards?

>How about gizzards?

What you just read about hearts applies to gizzards too. They are a tough muscle just like hearts are. The only thing I'd suggest bout gizzards is that you need to clean them carefully. When the chicken is alive the gizzard contains small stones, gravel, etc. That's what the chicken uses to grind up its food. When you buy gizzards at the market they are usually cleaned, but sometimes there can be little bits of grit left. I suggest going through them to make sure they're good an clean before proceeding. Marinades are good.

Sweet, thanks. I'll give them a shot sometime soon.

Make chopped liver. Saute the livers with onion, season them with salt and pepper, and then chop them up fine with a couple of eggs.

You're unlikely to do anything lethal to yourself with chicken livers - your stomach will rebel against you before that.

and not dying from it means it does no harm at all?

If you're healthy weight, don't drink and hardly eat meat your risk of gout is basically zero.

You're fine to eat chicken liver a couple times a week. You won't get vitamin a poisoning unless you eat excessive amounts. Like multiple servings every day for a month straight.

Honestly, maybe it's a childhood nostalgia thing, but I just like my gizzards breaded and fried.

Yeah, they're chewy but it's salty and satisfying. Like protein gum.

Definitely a treat, though, and not a staple.

The only time I ever bought chicken liver was to use as fishing bait, I never considered eating it.

Don't eat it very often.
Eating it routinely can cause health problems.

There's probably a visual how-to somewhere, but it's pretty easy, the membrane is a yellowy-white colour so you'll spot it easy against the red liver

heart disease food
have fun with your clogged arteried dumbshit

>he doesn't eat the membranes
fagit

Those are really expensive where i live.

Milk then drench in some flour and then fry up with onions. Should be pretty good.

You could also make pate, pretty easy if you have a food processor and a sieve.

short ribs are one of the more expensive cuts of beef that isnt a steak. its like $7.50/lb ish around here.

use them to catch a fish.

>one chicken liver
>one water chest but
>on3 bacon strip
>tooth pick liver and but
>wrap bacon around it
>bake in oven
>eat dipping it in plum sauce
>enjoy Rumaki