Why is Les Misérables or general Hugo so rarely talked about here?

Why is Les Misérables or general Hugo so rarely talked about here?
At least I rarely see it.

Other urls found in this thread:

slc.aron.free.fr/lflmis.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Les Miserables is my favorite book. The Hunchback of Notre Dame is up there as well.

I like Victor Hugo, he's an amazing story teller. His complex plots all tie up so well, and all of his characters have their own little quirks and they're fun to read about.

Definitely under talked about, I agree OP. I think it's just because not a lot of people read him here.

slc.aron.free.fr/lflmis.htm
(lol)

Well, it's a huge fucking book. And it's complex. And huge pieces of it are historical essays basically. Pretty much Veeky Forums repellent.

I have a copy. I'm burning through all my genreshit before I move onto "actual" literature.

It's a shame really. What surprises me is wherever /tv/ has a discussion on Les Mis, usually half the thread is movie shitposting (as you'd expect from /tv/) and the other half is genuine discussion about the book, and it's honestly better than most of those here just because in Veeky Forums they die so fast.
Lately I've been trying to find myself a copy either online for free or physically of the 1987 translation by Lee Fahnestock and Norman McAfee. It seems to be the best one and althought I've read a couple translations before including the french in the past with help of a portuguese translation, I'd like to revisit it with this definitive (or so it seems) english one. I guess I'll just have to buy yet another copy because I can't find it online fucking anywhere.

Hugo's portrayal of Waterloo was easily one of the greatest parts of the book

I've only read the Julie Rose translation, which is alright. I know some people have problems with it, but I thought it was good.

Translation of any novel never really seemed too important for me, seeing as translators are usually competent and the only difference being minor word choice differences. There's really only two things I look for, readability and that it's unabridged.

Also, the musical has drawn such a major crowd to the story, it's unsurprising that fans of the musical are also fans of the book.

Yes, I've found that many of the most popular book adaptations out there seem to have their separate fans from the book's, but Les Misérables instead incentivates people to read the original. I like that.

Simple. It's fucking huge. And extremely broad. Took me months to finish it and still couldn't tie it all together. Fantine's chapters are some of the saddest scenes in literature desu.

because lit fags are primarily familiar with entry-level literature since most of them are neets in their early twenties who pissed away their teen years gaming and discovered literature through this board. so they read the stuff that gets talked about by college aged dopes, pynchon and the ilk; les miserable, not so much.

But I thought this was supposed to be the smartest board.

Veeky Forums is probably the smartest board.

Veeky Forums is like 60% shitposting.

Whoa, you're naive.
Being literary doesn't = being smart.

People here seem maturer than the norm, though (at least in terms of how they conduct themselves).
There's less dumbass arguments (logical fallacies incl.). People at least wanna try discussing and exploring ideas which is...well, it's something.

I say this because saying Veeky Forums is the smartest board is a site-wide meme.

Why do so many girls like Les Miserables? If it's a massive historical time like W&P and so many teen girls on booktube like it then it must be pleb tier.

Because it's a famous broadway musical with leftist themes.
Of course girls love it. Tumblr loves it as well, as far as I know. Lots of fanfic and fanart for it, at least back when the last movie came out.
Valjean X Javert is a big thing.

I love Les Miserables, and it very well may be my favorite novel.

That being said, it isn't often featured on Veeky Forums because it's actually good. This board prefers to "talk" about controversial works like those of Pynchon.

Why isn't Evangelion discussed on /a/?

Why isn't Ron Paul discussed on /pol/?

Why isn't Lawrence of Arabia discussed on /tv/?

Why isn't Beethoven discussed on /mu/?

Then I'd think a liberal novel like this would be all the rage now with /pol/ doing it's thing and what not.
I really wish we had more proper discussion though. Last time I talked about Les Mis here was almost 2 years ago, and it is my favorite novel as well.
I don't think I understand your point.
EVA is talked about in this entire site pretty much all the time.
There is a constant general for classical music on /mu/ and Beethoven is talked about frequently in there as well.
Don't visit the other two much to know.

They like the musical and heavily abridged versions of the novel.

The novel itself is dense, meandering, and much of it is lost on the modern reader in a way that doesn't engender regret. It's political commentary that was done better by actual commentators, and moralizing that was done better by philosophers.

I mean mostly that sometimes the classics are discussed less than the current things stirred up. It feels like a silly point now that I think about it. Veeky Forums is unlike the other boards since it's is mostly classics worship (start with the greeks).

I've seen a few Les Mis threads, but then again the years could be blending together on me. Only Hugo thread I remember recently got sidetracked on Ayn Rand bashing.

/tv/ is shitposting and shills and shitposting at shills.

/pol/ doesn't talk about Ron Paul because he was mostly right and t_d is too popular there.

The chapters where he talks about the history of monasteries in Europe and how they're no longer needed is extremely underrated. Really, all of the digressions where Hugo talks about some historical thing are all fascinating except the Parisian sewage system chapters, and even those aren't that bad.