The smart kid

Is there an explanation for why certain people get labeled as "the smart kid"?
Like throughout school, I was considered the smart kid in the class. My family constantly tells how proud they are of how smart I am.
Meanwhile I personally don't give a fuck about being smart or the responsibility that comes along with it.
I just care about having a good relaxed life. I hate feeling like I need to meet people's expectations.

being smart????

Ya but I didnt get the highest grades. Again because I didn't care about meeting peoples expectations.
I intentionally tried to seem less smart than I am but people still labeled me as the smart one. There were tons of other people that put in way more effort and cared a lot more.

I think it's more a matter of demeanor and just being one of those classifications that sticks. I'm going to guess that most people that knew you as "the smart kid" didn't actually read over your marks throughout high school and were likely just repeating what they heard someone else say when they asked about you. There's also the whole matter of seeming smart versus actually being smart.

Also this topic isn't really Veeky Forums, but I guess this is a better place for it to go (and die) than some other boards.

they watch rick and morty and browse reddit.

I was the smartest kid in school by a long shot. My friends still rib me about how I would often throw my homework together the morning it had to be handed in and would still get the highest grades. I stopped putting my hand up in class when the teacher asked questions because since I knew all the answers I would always be putting my hand up, but it would reach a point where everyone else who suggested answers got it wrong and the teacher would resign himself to turn to me and ask for the answer without having raised my hand, that shit felt like a no-win situation, I hated it. The teacher's pet of every teacher, my family all think I'm a genius capable of literally anything despite there being no real evidence for that. They'll ask me to do something for the first time, and I'll try it and fail while they stand there watching expectantly and they'll be surprised and disappointed like I'm supposed to just fucking intuitively know how to do everything.

While I was smart, it wasn't until I got to college that I understood this huge difference was mostly because I lived in an area populated by utter retards. I struggled a lot in college, in one course the tutor clocked that I was smart at the beginning, sang my praises in class too, but then when I had trouble with things I found myself unable to ask for help, especially since he was such a brash character who thought he was a fucking comedian. I pretended everything was fine, skipped a few classes out of panic, then at the end handed in barebones and incomplete coursework. Then in class he was suddenly like "Mr. user! Your name's been put in the naughty book my son!", but after that he wasn't too harsh, I think he had realised he kinda contributed to the problem.

...and I still entered adulthood with an abysmal work ethic and this odd, dual-superiority/inferiority complex I've been unable to shake.

tl;dr I hate the concept of "the smart kid" and seriously feel it has a good chance of fucking that kid up.

The fact thay you made this post, shows you care. And secondly, if you are actaully smart, you would understand your labels given to you by others becuase they are created by your behavioral patterns.

Fuck out of here boi

In modern times smart kid is something whose parents actually took some time and educated him and hired tutors early on.
I was considered one of those "smart kids" got good grades but the moment I participated into those maths/chemistry/physics contests I realized how far "smart kid" from actual genious is.

So "smart kid" is just a good student while others are simply retarded. It's not that you are good, it's that the others are bad.

Maybe others want to say something nice to you once in a while, but you offer nothing else to give you believable praise for, so they just go with "Wow user, you are so smart!" in the hope of giving you some feeling of accomplishment.

This. I consistently had straight A's in school and I was never marked as the "smart kid."

>he thinks that he has to be responsible for something because he has a higher intellectual capacity
You are not Spider Man. You have no responsibility to anybody. And chances are that you aren't that intelligent. The average education level in America is around a 6th grade education, so maybe you are smarter by comparison. I would recommend pursuing some higher education to see how intelligent you actually are, and put your money where your mouth is.

nope, i was always the "dont ask about his grades" kid, the "he's not slow, hes disabled, stop calling him slow he can't help it daniel for christs sake" kid, sometimes the "he can't understand us look at how his eyes glaze over when we move out of his direct line of vision, just come on, ill cum quick i swear baby." child.

i turned out okay, unemployed at 32 living in an abandoned shopping complex with some rats and stuff.

What is your name?

Well "the smart kid" is obviously a stereotype, so if you fit the mold in demeanor you'll get labeled as such regardless of your IQ or marks.

You're smart, but it doesn't feel like it. And how could it be any other way? Do you think strong people feel any different to the rest of us? Or is it just that heavy things seem light to them. It's the same with being smart, difficult problems are easier to solve because of how your brain works.

The side no-one tells you about is that when you're smart, it feels like everyone around you is stupid. Imagine being the guy in Idiocracy every. Fucking. Day.

Is this pasta? I hope it is

What the fuck is wrong with that photo? What kinda sick humour is that?

the fuck are you talking about, it's a chink eating a donut

Above-average verbal skills. I fell for that meme too. I got to be labeled as smart, whereas some people that had poor vocabulary and grammar, thus not being perceived as smart, got better grades than me and were able to solve more problems.

It usually belongs to the person that does the best in class or the person that wears glasses or something

Why you are creating a cult around intelligence? Im fucking smart and always knew it from the start, you are probably too and most people here. If you are in stem you are smarter than most of the population, hell, even by not doing stupid things you are better than your common normie.

>I hate feeling like I need to meet people's expectations.
Same. I'm terrified of everything all the time because the thought of me making the tiniest mistake drives me insane. Thanks a lot, teachers and parents. Fucking cool.