1940s-50s Books

Are there any fiction books that capture the feel of 1940s-50s America? Does Lolita do this?
What are some good noir novels set in and preferably written in that approximate time period?
Pic not really related

the real "feel" or your idealized bullshit?

ask the dust? was that in the 50s?

I didn't mention any of my views on that time period.
Wouldn't fiction made in that time hold a certain level of the common idealised bullshit that pretty much comes from propaganda?

I just want to know what life for the every day person was like in the post war period.

According to google that's set in the great depression, but thanks for the suggestion. It seems like the type of thing I'm after.

fiction written in that time would be more real, they didn't know they were living in the peak of american economic strength, they didn't know nixon was going to take us off the gold standard to pay for vietnam and reagan would bust the unions and give amnesty to millions of undocumented aliens or the clintons would sign nafsta and repeal glass-steagal and so on and so forth, for all we know this is the last time america is a completely intact country before the mexicans vote to calexit and rejoin mexico and texas becomes an independent country again and new england reunited with old england....are you going to write nostalgicly for what life was like living in the last days of the united states being intact? know because you don't know that

Nigga what the fuck

now that i think of it, it's more of a "Los Angeles" novel than general Americana, in the sense that when people talk about America they don't usually mean SF, LA, Boston or NYC, but some generic midwestern town or city, but you still might want to check it out

A lot of modern stuff set in the 40s and 50s is set in those cities.

I'd be interested in both city and town stuff desu.

aren't some of those junkie beatnik novels from those times? burroughs etc

sorry man i'm lost in the shitpost zone, gotta go to bed man, but audible will update the deal of the day in literally 5 minutes since even though they are based here in newark they are owned by amazon so the day ticks over on seattle time, hope it's good, but nothing but genre shit for a week, need the drought to end

Seems like it, but those are a bit later 50s and moving into the hippie movement.
I think you need to see a doctor.

Charlotte's Web

The Old Man and the Sea

James Ellroys LA quartet and Underworld USA trio

Shit thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for

Raymond Chandler's stuff.

Read:

Salinger
Elison
Steinbeck
Burroughs
Kerouac
Chandler

Rabbit, Run by John Updike

On The Road is excellent. The Rum Diary doesn't take place in America, but it's got a nice atmosphere anchored in those times.

The Body by Stephen King

On the Road
It's that books only strong point.

Kurt Vonnegut, if you're ok with an author writing after his life in that era and looking back on it. He wrote with an interesting mix of nostalgia and horror at some of what he saw as flaws in American culture of the time.

Massively underrated book. Better than Revolutionary Road, which is the book it always gets compared to.

The Big Nowhere is one of my favourite books. The other ones are great too but this one feels very overlooked in comparison to LA Confidential

The Recognitions

Kerouac