I'm not taking it anymore, Veeky Forums

Why are arts majors looked down upon even by the most bland of plebs? We're second class citizens.

>"is white guy"
>he is whiter than me, paler than milk, I'm part Asian
>wut

kys yourself my dudebro

Haha. Wyte boi BTFO.

I must usurp seminal dudebro first, then I may follow his footsteps, or rather ladder steps...

Are you shitposting in real life? Is that like a smartphone messaging "app" ???

You're looked down on because your degree isn't seen as having any utility in a career.

You're also seen as mindless liberal sybarites who don't have to do hard work.

I've studied arts and something """"""practical and like actually valuable""""""" so I'm in a weird sort of boat where I have empathy for both sides.

This is OKCupid, I shitpost there because I'm a shitcunt.

That feel when arts and social science are more important than engineering fags. That feel when I learn about skepticism and get to fuck with religious STEMs.

I definitely think arts students are conceited, like me, and usually go off on tangents - but, hey, at least it's not a job-manufacturing system for corporations like STEM.

>tell someone to kill themselves
>they insult you
>"WHY AM I SO PERSECUTED?"

>being on okcupid
>then shitposting on it

wew lad, you need help

Waaaaa poor baby

Yeah they're pretty arrogant, engineers especially.

I've heard that the big push for more STEM students is a scam to keep wages low in those fields

I have a gf, heh... I call her Hatsune Miku... people shitpost on dating sites all the time. what the hell

>Not realising it's a meme
I used to be as upset about suicide jokes as you. Also used to read Myth of Sisyphus a lot. Now I don't care, and neither should you. Melodramatic... sad!

Sauce? Sounds interesting, I know there's a fuck tonne of corporations who come to uni and try to grab people

It's a meme! xd I'm so funny xd

Well, I do run over six meme pages, buck-o. And who the FUCK are you? A nobody; a NEET; a failure; a pale sheet!

Wow you're a real rebel fighting against people being a cog in the great machine. Artists and English majors are superior to the average person. you're too good for a job. On icupid, not because I'm lonely haha, to tell people to kill themselves XD

>You're too good for a job
Agreed

Also, I'm a philosophy major. GET IT RIGHT

White guys with beards and longer hair, especially its tied in that meme tier "man bun" style, are a walking stereotype, the male equivalent of women who dye their hair unnatural colors. If they were ten years older they would have probably worn fedoras unironically at some point in their lives.

I only have longer hair and a beard because I can't be fucked cutting it. I'm a slob.

>That feel when arts and social science are more important than engineering fags.
That's just plain not true. I don't know how people who 'study' the 'arts' as they call it these days justify claims like this to themselves. They're so blatantly false and only come from positions of such class blindness and with such a lack of awareness of what art has actually done to improve the quality of material existence when compared to technical engineering measured by the same criteria that I cannot possibly bring myself to feel anything but contempt for the people who utter such statements. Artists deserve to starve if they don't produce good art, and I'm unaware of a single artist producing good art today. This applies to every field of the arts, i.e. music, theater, film, actual art, television, literature, etc.
Fuck you, OP, for misunderstanding the place of the arts in society even more than you misunderstand your own place in society. Fuck you for thinking that social engineering is more worthwhile than other forms of engineering. Fuck you for thinking that social engineering is even good. Fuck you for aspiring to be a bad artist and receive praise for producing bad art. Fuck you for thinking that being part non-white alleviates your privilege.
t. humanitiesfag

Isn't being a guy studyding arts relatively unique in itself?

lol, you seriously believe there is no good contemporary art? Get the stick out of your ass, and realize that you're being an uppity contrarian just for the sake of having a sense of smug, self superiority

hwndu was one of the raddest art installations of all time u fuckin mong

nah, there where a few years where the manbun was legitimately hip (now it's just suburbanites who are behind the curve), while fedoras were never cool. the manbun is more in line with those arab scarfs everybody was wearing during the bush administration

>Why are arts majors looked down upon even by the most bland of plebs? We're second class citizens.
You choose to "study" a field with so little risk it's laughable to call it study, demand a job despite the utter lack of value in anything you do (a lack of value not inherent to the field of art, by the way, but inherent to you because you have never produced anything of quality, mostly because art is too subjective for anyone to definitively tell you to fuck off and git gud and so you take refuge behind a sequence of labels that conveniently espouse your views and praise your style of work thereby staving off any need to change yourself or experience discomfort) and then pretend to have some intellectual edge over the people who have actually worked their asses off to acquire knowledge and improve their critical thinking while you were getting high and bemoaning the man.
You're no good to a regular person and you're rarely notable to an actual purveyor of art. You make few contributions of any kind, artistic or otherwise, and 99% of what you do turn out is pretentious, derivative garbage. Sure, there are liberal arts students who aren't humanity's equivalent of a third nipple, and no doubt you're about to explain to me how you're "not like the other art students xD," but the fact remains that """artists""" and to a lesser extent humanities majors as a whole are generally little more than their overinflated egos. You say bland pleb, but that says more about you than it does about the guy you tried to describe.

>You choose to "study" a field with so little risk it's laughable to call it study

art takes the most risk, you're either a rockstar or a barista, if you do some faggy shit like computer science 99% chance of middle class code monkey with a 1% chance of striking startup gold, super low risk

Give me 10 years and I'll give you a actually great symphony, senpai.

That makes sense only if coding is your passion. If it isn't you will most likely end up hating your life. In that sense getting a art major is a better option if that fits your attitude and taste.

>tfw even when saying this you still think that most people should have nothing to do with art, not even as spectator
It's maybe the only field in which it makes sense to be cruel and elitist, trying to repel as many shallow and naive people as possible. Too bad that in this zeitgeist you can't really tell to a guy that his art sucks and that he should give up, aince the aesthetic and philosophical criteria you might use are not considered universal anymore.

Is this thread a joke?

I'm Unique alright...

Depends on your STEM job. It's like comparing a surgeon to a peditrician. All my engineer friends are 80-100k starting.

First rule of effective advocacy, don't insult.

How can white boys even compete?

Veeky Forumsentist here, lmao @ you liberal arts fags

She's right.

Do you really think that what you take in undergrad matters this much? Many many many successful artists took up a profession that didn't have anything to do with their craft in order to fund their art/family before they became successful. This misguided belief that what courses you take in college are able dictate your life's/art's trajectory to such a significant degree is very telling of one's life experience.

What zeitgeist are you fucking talking about? Just because you're too timid to be honest when critiquing another persons work doesn't mean that the world is. And why are you so sure that whatever aesthetic and philosophical criteria you're critiquing someones work off of was ever universal?

This post just reeks of someone mired within undergrad academia -- unable to peek above their sheltered little alcove and mistaking it for the world itself.

This isn't literature related faggot, stop posting your trash. Remember to sage in the options field lads

>Do you really think that what you take in undergrad matters this much? Many many many successful artists took up a profession that didn't have anything to do with their craft in order to fund their art/family before they became successful. This misguided belief that what courses you take in college are able dictate your life's/art's trajectory to such a significant degree is very telling of one's life experience.

people believe this because it's what the education industry wants them to believe so they're more likely to take $50,000 loans and give it all to them

>people believe this because it's what the education industry wants them to believe so they're more likely to take $50,000 loans and give it all to them

The best artists in history all pursued formal education, and drifted off it only after having mastered their craft. There are very few exceptions to this rules, unless you're standards are incredibly low.
Do you really think that you can teach yourself what Petrarch has learnt about poetry in a lifetime of academic studying and confrontation with the smartest guys around? Do tou think that Beethoven just picked it up? That Raffaello made it up as he was going?

Also not every country is like the US. The scenario you're picturing, for example, makes no sense in most European countries.

The examples you've chosen are essentially progenitors of modern artists. By definition they didn't pursue a formal education -- they might have been apprenticed in their younger years but they certainly did not attend a school/university. I do think that they just "picked it up/made it up" as they were going. That's mostly what it means to be an artist. I'm sure they might have had some influences within their lifetime but what they did was create (with limited influences) rather than apply academic method to produce their work. They certainly did not have hundreds of years of material to pore over and attempt to recreate. Even in the 19th century people were still extremely isolated -- in a geographic sense but ever more so in an intellectual sense in that they did not have such a backlog of influences to peruse through.

>Do tou think that Beethoven just picked it up?

do u think beethoven got to where he was by doing a four year degree at Berklee?