JR by William Gaddis

This book is stupidly hard. Has anyone read it to completion? I'm at p. 283 and I'm still having trouble understanding the dynamics of scenes. Does anyone know an online resources to help with this book?

Haven't read it but he William gaddis.org site should have a guide.

This novel is so lame. Gaddis isn't funny, and once you take out all the failed attempts at humor, you have a sloppy mess of a novel built around some uneducated novelist's half-baked opinions about money.

but gaddis is funny

Finished it a couple of weeks ago, it was enjoyable but it was indeed hard as fuck sometimes. I checked out the guide afterwards and there were entire plot points that I'd missed. So yeah, check out the guide, like that other user said. Apart from that all I can tell you is keep reading because you'll get the hang of it eventually and there's a lot of truly great writing in there.

gaddis is more educated than this entire board put together

also his views on money as frighteningly accurate and insightful for being a layman

t. work on wall street

Steven Moore's annotations online.

this

Dude, the dialogue is pure aesthetics. gtfo

This has to be bait. If not you guys are such fucking plebs. This book is a masterpiece. Any book Gaddis ever wrote was leagues ahead of everyone else in quality. J R is the funniest book I have ever read. Funnier than confederacy, at swim, american pyscho, candide. Its funnier than everything. It also tells an epic story thats batshit insane. Shit in a piano crazy. Its not even that hard either. I fucking hate this place.

To be fair, I've been on this board for 5 years and it is probably at its worst right now

bullshit, the fucking stupid dfw face threads and stupid stirner bullshit got cleared out thank you jesus, it's not bad right now

Eh, they just got replaced by "why can't women/minorities read/write/appreciate literature and be as enlightened as me" and five peterson threads at any given time

Yeah, Stirner is pretty bad.

But it isn't hard. Anyone who says they have trouble figuring out who is speaking is *not smart*. Loosen up OP. Keep reading. Adjust.

I cried at the last page because I felt like I was saying goodbye to a good friend.

well stirner is interesting but that stupid faggot who was always posting le spooky man xd everytime anyone talking about anything really shit up the board, that's one of the reason i left, it's hard to have a conversation when some autist is jumping up shouting SPOOKS every two posts

Ur n idiot how could u ever purport what ur purporting here w a clear conscience?

Stirner is a joke. He is only ever given attention because of how much Marx hated him, and people think because Marx is bad and hated Stirner that that automatically makes Stirner good. Which is wrong.

Clearly you haven't read the ego and his own. The book is a legitimate philosophical treatise that far eludes the label "joke".

You're right, I have managed to avoid reading the NEET Manifesto for half a decade.

Well hey you should at least check t out, it definitely has a few decent propositions

Oh for sure I will

/fitlit/ brought in a bunch of new morons

You either haven't read it or you're baiting. Maybe you're too idiotic to read it, but I refuse to believe that. Start over, finish it, and revise and resubmit.

K

Probably my favorite book. As someone else said, william gaddis. org is great. I read through it whenever I felt the need. Whatever gets you through it.

While I do think the book is full of good ideas and has a superb structure, if you're confused the point of not being able to laugh (often), it might not be worth it. It indicate a lack of understanding. Laughter is essentially the most basic way a reader can interact with a book outside of simply reading it.

/thread

>Laughter is essentially the most basic way a reader can interact with a book outside of simply reading it...

...if the book is meant to be funny.

FTFY

>tfw *not smart*