Does popping your neck actually pose any Health threats at all?

Does popping your neck actually pose any Health threats at all?

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1004074/
foxnews.com/entertainment/2017/06/15/playboy-model-katie-mays-estate-sues-chiropractor-for-wrongful-death.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Neck arthritis doesn't sound so fun

Oh

Nah. They do it at the chiropractor all the time.

It starts to pop easy and frequently in the long run which can be annoying. Also, if I remember correctly there's a small positive correlation between it and arthritis (citation needed).

I've done it for years and it doesn't feel like I have arthritis in my neck.

My uncle Hilbert in Arkansas knew a man whose ex-gardener's niece's friend Ermintrude popped her head clear off. So be careful.

There is an ignobel prize for a guy who tested this hypothesis for his hands, popping one side only for many years and somewhat proving that this effect was in fact neglective: no difference between hands

Or maybe people who are prone to arthritis have joints that need to be popped more often.

I don't necessarily know how it could lead to arthritis, since arthritis is what happens when antibodies just happen to bind to receptors on some of your joints, which tricks the immune system into believing that your own joints are foreign pathogens. Maybe popping opens up regions to antibodies more, but I don't think that'd really account for much at all. Likely what said.

Yes. The sound it makes is the very thing that causes damage over time. Popping joints does not create arthritis, but it does weaken them. Pop your hands all the time and you'll end up with a weaker grip as you get older. The same thing happens to knees, necks, etc. Don't do it. If you do need to adjust a joint, do so in a way that does not make the popping noise.

No. I have arthritis through my body, I needed a definitive answer.

I found it years ago...so, yeah, No.

see

And my dad works at Nintendo

citation needed

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1004074/

>The relation of habitual knuckle cracking to osteoarthrosis with functional impairment of the hand has long been considered an old wives' tale without experimental support. The mechanical sequelae of knuckle cracking have been shown to produce the rapid release of energy in the form of sudden vibratory energy, much like the forces responsible for the destruction of hydraulic blades and ship propellers. To investigate the relation of habitual knuckle cracking to hand function 300 consecutive patients aged 45 years or above and without evidence of neuromuscular, inflammatory, or malignant disease were evaluated for the presence of habitual knuckle cracking and hand arthritis/dysfunction. The age and sex distribution of the patients (74 habitual knuckle crackers, 226 non-knuckle crackers) was similar. There was no increased preponderance of arthritis of the hand in either group; however, habitual knuckle crackers were more likely to have hand swelling and lower grip strength. Habitual knuckle cracking was associated with manual labour, biting of the nails, smoking, and drinking alcohol. It is concluded that habitual knuckle cracking results in functional hand impairment.

>however, habitual knuckle crackers were more likely to have hand swelling and lower grip strength.

Yes actually, popping your neck is actually very dangerous. This isn't due to the popping itself, so that isn't dangerous just like popping your knuckles or wrist isn't dangerous. The danger is in placing repeated stress on the cervical artery in your neck can cause small tears and scarring over time, which causes clots, and subsequent strokes.

It is both of those things.

Nicely done

You're also not 45 years old

What the popping is is the nitrogen leaving the joint space

the nitrogen should never be there in the first place.

That doesn't show knuckle cracking causes hand swelling and lower grip strength. The study lists several confounding factors that are associated with knuckle cracking, such as manual labor.

my posture got a lot better from popping my neck. One thing some people neglect is that if you open your jaw when you do it then it gets a different part of your neck

Go ahead, crack your neck then.

I do it all the time. I habitually crack joints all over my body.

That's kind of how cracking your knuckles work, but it's not how your neck works. When you crack your neck the sound is from the joints sliding across one another. Over time that wears down on your cartilage if you do it habitually and that's how it causes problems.

How old are you?

I crack my neck, my knuckles, my spine, my wrist, my elbow and my foot routinely.
Idk if it's bad or good but sometimes I'm stiff so whatever

fuck yeah its bad if nobody else has these issues

there is an underlying cause m8, get a blood test done by your doctor, you might have something.

I got a blood test already, my liver's not amazing

Ten years from now you will wish you were not cracking anything now.

Idk but I ever since I started popping my jaw, my face became less symmetrical and now my jaw clicks and gets slightly stuck when I eat

Sure thing buddy, keep bumping the thread till then.

>i'm immortal and can't be harmed

Grow up.

Due to OCD/autism i compulsively crack my neck. Shit.

>ascribing ridiculous positions to people you are arguing with in order to dismiss them
Grow up.

you can damage a nerve cracking your neck

>literally me
My neck fucking hurts though

Lot of people talking crap in this thread. First off, read the posts with citations.

Second, popping your neck once or twice is not going to cause you any health problems. The cracking carried out by manual therapists uses more extreme leverage, and much higher speed, than you would do to yourself.

If you keep needing to crack your neck or back though, it is a sign that something is out of balance in your musculoskeletal function. You should get some exercise, or treatment from a therapist who can diagnose the problem and knows what they are doing.

goals

No but getting your neck manipulated by a chiropractor is not advised. There have been a few high profile cases of young people dieing from strokes shortly after visiting chiropractors who did neck manipulations, including this one.

foxnews.com/entertainment/2017/06/15/playboy-model-katie-mays-estate-sues-chiropractor-for-wrongful-death.html

Likely cause was damage and thrombosis of the carotid arteries that led to embolic stroke a few days later.