Hi anons

Hi anons,

I want to travel the world through its literature. Help me to achieve this by listing which country are you from and sharing a link to download a book (fiction) that you consider to be the best from your region.

Other urls found in this thread:

gen.lib.rus.ec/foreignfiction/index.php?s=The Posthumous Memoirs of Bras Cubas&f_lang=0&f_columns=0&f_ext=0&f_group=1
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Emigrants_(novel_series)
youtube.com/watch?v=a2idVI73ais
books.google.pt/books/about/Jerusalem.html?id=WgpTe5z0FjQC&redir_esc=y&hl=en
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Señor_Presidente
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

inb4 people only respond by saying how much they hate the examples in the pic

By the filename I suspect my suggestion will be of little use, but:
Hu3land,
Machado de Assis - Memórias postumas de Bráscubas
(Bras Cubas Postumous Memoirs)

gen.lib.rus.ec/foreignfiction/index.php?s=The Posthumous Memoirs of Bras Cubas&f_lang=0&f_columns=0&f_ext=0&f_group=1

Sweden.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Emigrants_(novel_series)

It has helped shape the national identity of Sweden, and the culture of the country.

Don't worry, you only have to read the first one. It's about Swedish emigrants to the US during the great emigration period over here. It's basically considered one of the best, if not the best, works of Swedish literature. It's inspired a bunch of other works, including opera, orchestral pieces, other books, etc. It was even bastardized in a commercial just a year or two ago. If you're really lazy I guess you could watch a movie about it instead, a couple of them have been produced based on the book(s).

Here's a song, in Swedish of course, about an event in the book. I won't spoil it for you, but I guess you could look up the lyrics if you wanted. But it's basically about the wife in the story's doubt in God's existence, and reaffirming of her belief.

youtube.com/watch?v=a2idVI73ais

Portugal

'Jerusalém' by Gonçalo Tavares

books.google.pt/books/about/Jerusalem.html?id=WgpTe5z0FjQC&redir_esc=y&hl=en

This was the closest thing I could find to a download link.

>I want to travel the world by reading a bunch of books in English

bright idea champ

I see no problem with that.

>To Kill a Mockingbird
>Pride and Prejudice
>Persepolis
>The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

What fucking knucklehead made this pic?

Probably based on sales figures rather than literary merit.

>Kafka
>Germany

Guatemala

>El señor Presidente
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Señor_Presidente

A great early example of magic realism, this novel is an excellent exploration of the dark and ugly underbelly of society under dictatorial rule
I really recommend it, tb-h, it won miguel angel asturias a nobel prize in literature

I'm polish, but I haven't really read many polish authors beyond what was required in high school. Nevertheless, I strongly recommend either Ferdydurke by Gombrowski or A World Apart by Herling-Grudziński.

I don't have links for the english versions, but I'm sure they're out there, if you're interested enough.

I hate To Kill A Mocking Bird so fucking much. It's the r/books version of a classic. And it does not at all represent america...Faulkner would be a much better choice.

the grapes of wrath would be a decent contender too IMO

Are you that user that was spouting racist shit the other day? If you are, I hope you die. If not, thanks for the rec.

Wew lad
What kind of racist shit?
I don't come here very often

>America
>Billy Budd

> I strongly recommend either Ferdydurke by Gombrowski

It's Gombrowicz.

Italy

I recommend Hilarotragoedia by Giorgio Manganelli, arguably the greatest linguistical and narrative achievement of contemporary Italian literature - though be warned, it's fairly complicated. The guy loves archaisms (like the verb inlatebrare, which is a rare latin term, for to hide) and phonetic neologisms. Still, it's mind bendingly incredible. Not gonna post a link, but it's literally the first result on google if you search "hilarotragoedia pdf".

The choice of Ferrante for my country is idiotic and insulting, by the way, just by virtue of it being chosen over the plethora of classics, evene contemporary, that could have fit on there much better.

>Argentina
>El Tunel

Why internet sucks that much?

Sabato is a great writer even if el tunel isn't his best work. I really hate how much shit he gets here.

Finland
I'd suggest lots of stuff, but none of our best has been translated

That being said, The Seven Brothers by Aleksis Kivi. No clue how the translation is tho
Or you could go with more modern stuff, Väinö Linna's The Unknown Soldier (on the continuation war) or Under the North Star Trilogy (on the civil war)

>Dom Casmurro
Did Capitu cheat on Bentinho or not, Veeky Forums?

The stranger is not an accurate portrayal of Algeria. Read any of the novels written by Mouloud Mammeri.

What's the Israel image in the picture?

Scotland

Trainspotting. No book sums up the country better desu

My personal opinion: It doesn't have an answer. The thought of Machado was to implant the doubt, and the doubt is more important than anything else. That's why he didnt answered. It dont need an answer. It already has - the doubt.

On a second interpretation, given the time and how Machado was breaking grounds on fucking everything in Brazil, i think Bentinho is gay and have a mega crush on Escobar.

i am Malala

ahem...