Is it possible to win a game of minesweeper on expert difficulty without relying on luck even in the smallest amount...

Is it possible to win a game of minesweeper on expert difficulty without relying on luck even in the smallest amount, barring the first click? I feel like it is but i can never do it without some luck.

Other urls found in this thread:

chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/puzzles/js/mines.html
techuser.net/mineclick.html
minesweeper.info/wiki/Strategy#Guessing
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Start always clicking the four corners first, to decrease luck based clicks.

The majority of games play out without needing to guess. It does happen a good deal on expert tho.

Here, play a version of Minesweeper that generates maps that rely on logic and not luck.
chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/puzzles/js/mines.html

of course. don't you know how to play? read what the numbers mean.

You're supposed to wait until the end of the game and see if there are any mines remaining. No guessing required. Fucking brainlet.

What would've been your next step?

The box to the right of the most bottom-right 1 is not a mine. 3 spaces above that is a mine.

I'd draw it in paint, but phone-posting.

No, not of course. First of all, the first play is luck.
And multiple plays after that on big maps rely on luck to open the board up more.

Also the spot below the 5 at the bottom is safe. Lots of options my dude.

>without relying on luck even in the smallest amount

The very 1st click is luck, so no.

>First of all, the first play is luck.

Dis. Though, I guess someone could argue that isn't luck either and that luck doesn't really exist.

Fuck, completely missed the 5, but don't get the 1

Yeah nvm about the 1. Thought I saw the 3 only touching one mine.

if you think about it, the first click isn't luck, because if you lose on the first click, the starting and ending point are equal, and therefore there was no game

But this by itself is luck. the first click is always pure random chance.

Almost all minesweeper games will generate the grid after your first click, so it's impossible to lose on click #1.

It's impossible to lose on first click

techuser.net/mineclick.html

Or even the box to the right of the second 3 on the fifth row.
The last 5 at the third from last row has no bomb under it or the 3 directly two boxes to the right. Both do not have a bomb underneath them.

Is there anything I can do here?

Shitcock

Dang, I'm stumped. I know there are strategies where you can tell the areas the game WOULD HAVE cleared if there were no mines, thus there must be. But that's beyond my skills.

The 3 near the middle is full.

Oh, derp.

stuck

To the right of the right-most 2 is a mine

>Almost all Minesweeper games
So that is, by your own admission, version-dependent.

Red = Mine
Green = Not a mine

There's like thousands of versions because anyone can make their own. Just look at the Play store or something. Any half-way decent developer will have the 1st-click = safe functionality. I don't think I've never seen a version without it, but I'm sure there is.

Idea: Look for a bot (or make one). If it can play MS and keep track of successes and failures, then you'd have an answer:
If the algorythm is done correctly and luck is actually never absolutely needed, the bot will never fail. Let it solve a thousand games on expert, and see if it ever failed.

I tried playing minesweeper as a child and I was pleasantly
surprised that I am now able to figure it out easily without
much work.

Something I like to do from time to time is wait until I need to pee, chug a 32 oz gatorade, wait a few minutes depending on how hard I want it to be, sit down for some minesweeper, and not let myself up for the bathroom until I've beaten, say, a 24x30 with 200 mines. It's really fun trying to calculate where the mines are while that desperate to pee, and the frustration and disappointment on guessing wrong or making a mistake are legendary because the stakes are so high. Feels great to 'win' at something like that, but also pretty nice and degrading to hold on till the absolute last possible second, lose control, and wet your pants like a loser

he said barring the first click you brainlet

Of course it's possible, the mines just have to be placed properly. Also you can't lose on your first click if you're playing Windows minesweeper.

Wtf

minesweeper.info/wiki/Strategy#Guessing

Guessing is a part of the game because some situations are ambiguous. Nevertheless there is "good guessing" and "bad guessing". Just because there is an element of luck in a game doesn't make it not skill-based.

Expert is for wussies, real men play customs.
>max grid
>200 mines
>endless tears

I've played that shit for years and only beat it like 5 times. I like to play it while watching(listening) youtube videos.

The corners never have mines. It was confirmed in a 1997 study.

It's pretty fun dude

you're hardcore man, I would seriously never do that

Having to guess at the possibilities happens all the damn time in minesweeper

T-there's clearly a mine there user

Yes, definitely possible but uncommon.

do you know about the minesweeper cheat?

"With your cursor inside the minesweeper window type "XYZZY" then press Shift-Enter and Enter. A white dot should appear in the upper-left corner of the screen. If it turns black, your cursor is resting on a mine. "

Yes. Use that cheat that actually tells you where the mines are.