Fucking fly already!

God, I hope we get a launch soon. Would be a sweet start to 2018, even if it goes N-1 all over the Cape

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antarctic_Treaty_System
iaato.org/tourism-overview
antarctica.gov.au/about-antarctica/people-in-antarctica/who-owns-antarctica
antarctica.gov.au/law-and-treaty/history/antarctic-territorial-claims
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antarctica#Research
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_New_Zealand_Flight_901
antarcticaflights.com.au/
adventure-life.com/antarctica
spi-ace-expedition.ch/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eratosthenes#Measurement_of_the_Earth's_circumference
mountainguides.com/vinson-photos.shtml
antarctic-logistics.com/trip/climb-antarctica/
polar-quest.com/trips/antarctica/fly-to-the-south-pole
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

She's a big girl

>launch the rocket
>a flying tic-tac comes out of nowhere and destroys musks tesla before it can get to mars

Space exploration is a waste of resources, and space exploitation is unethical.

THICC

>he fell for elon meme
Keep dreaming bud you'll never see a launch from spacex

Don't you have NASA youtube video comments to shit in?

For you

That is lewd, you can see below all her skirts

How does my youtube comment history has anything to do with what I said regarding the ethics of destroying alien environments?

Got turned down for the janitorial position again, user?

What are the white marks in the engines?

If i'm not mistaken, all the stages have been flown before. Or they have at least been test-fired once before (hold-down fire?) Anyways, it would be soot or residue from previous use

cum stains

Can't wait until it goes into space, it looks soooo real! Thanks Elon.

one of the boosters is a reuse.

Both are reused

>r*ddit memes

But space exploitation allows us to provide internet to 3rd world countries and underserved minorties. Not exploiting space is unethical

Satellites aren't real. GPS is done using cell phone/radio tower networks via triangulation.

Communication satellites have nothing to do with what planetary protection is about. Nobody argues against internet - what people care about however is we don't destroy the moon for the sake of mining, or polluting Europa's oceans, or destroying habitats that could sustain life in the future.

The problem with the space fad is that it's thought of as the ultimate solution
>we won't pollute the earth, we'll just pollute everything else by moving the factories!
>we'll have all the metals and resources we need by strip mining the celestial bodies!
>we'll have all the living space we need so we don't have to worry about population bombs anymore, breed on!
I hope you realize how horrifying those things are, and do it before it actually starts.

>unethical
I'd be interested in hearing your case for space exploration being immoral.

Would you consider any exploration of your surroundings to somehow be immoral, or is it just in the methods used to explore space over methods to say, explore the seas.

>shitposter makes low-effort shitpost
>autists reply with massive paragraphs that nobody reads
Every fucking thread.
You people are pathetic and need a life.

Why can't we explore Antarctica?

We can? If we don't explore, how do we learn what effects we are causing in order to mitigate them or influence them to some result? If you are , I'm interested in knowing how far from your person it is until it's considered space exploitation, and why?

It's guarded by military bases: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antarctic_Treaty_System

Free exploration of earth is not permitted. Perhaps there's a reason they're focusing on space.

>I hope you realize how horrifying those things are, and do it before it actually starts.
I think strip mining a fucking moon is absolutely beautiful. I do care about conservation of wildlife but there's absolutely no wildlife to care about in space so you can go ham

From the wiki you linked: The treaty sets aside Antarctica as a scientific preserve, establishes freedom of scientific investigation and bans military activity on the continent.

Also, Article 7 – Treaty-state observers have free access, including aerial observation, to any area and may inspect all stations, installations, and equipment; advance notice of all activities and of the introduction of military personnel must be given

You may have misread it, or if there is some military presence it is likely to enforce the perimeter, encouraging those who wish to do science or observations in that region are following the agreed upon conditions.

>Treaty-state observer

A treaty-state observer is a member of government, not a civilian.

>You may have misread it, or if there is some military presence it is likely to enforce the perimeter, encouraging those who wish to do science or observations in that region are following the agreed upon conditions.

You cannot just sail to Antarctica and ask the military if you can do science there, it's completely off limits to civilians.

iaato.org/tourism-overview
There are also updated tourism records in the links on the left hand side of the page.

Plenty of civilians went to antartica last year to do climbing, filming, kayaking, skiiing. While true, if you attempted to simply walk out there entirely independently a member of the governments that uphold the treaty could take actions of force against you, and without making this a discussion on personal property rights, to say that a civilian has zero access to antarctica is a bit facetious.

I'm still not seeing how this relates to space exploitation as being unethical? Is it because we have somewhat stricter rules about what activities we'd like to see take place in antarctica and you don't see the same restrictions in place for space? Or do you think there should be less restrictions on both?

Antarctic tours are highly restrictive and they barely leave South America.

>I'm still not seeing how this relates to space exploitation as being unethical? Is it because we have somewhat stricter rules about what activities we'd like to see take place in antarctica and you don't see the same restrictions in place for space? Or do you think there should be less restrictions on both?

There should be less restrictions on both.

I'd unironically be a janitor at SpaceX and love it.

Highly restrictive =/= completely off limits.

Though, I think we are in agreement that we should be exploring and utilizing resources where ever we can reach them. It would be how we use those resources that to me may track into the realm of ethical use cases.

I think musk in many regards is a con artist but you can't be this stupid right?

What are the ethics involved?

Why is Antarctica highly restricted when it apparently has no government, therefore it cannot have laws?

Governments don't want free exploration of earth and space, stay back in your cage peasant.

antarctica.gov.au/about-antarctica/people-in-antarctica/who-owns-antarctica

It looks like it is governed jointly by those countries that were all doing scientific research in the area, and instead of using military action to take over, they agreed jointly to prohibit military exercises and promote scientific and tourist endeavors. It looks more like it is restricted in the sense that local wetlands or vernal pools or areas of protected grasses on beaches and mountain tops are restricted, you physically can walk there and do whatever, but some people have identified the areas as having some value in not being disturbed in certain ways. You can always personally decide not to value that the same way, I believe you have that right, but the currently put forth suggested steps to take to visit do sound reasonable to me as I currently understand them.

>you physically can walk there and do whatever

So you think you could walk to Antarctica and do whatever so long as you didn't disturb the "protected" areas? Have you got evidence of people doing that?

I think you could, yeah, much like there is nothing physically preventing you from walking into a store and removing product, or walking on to your neighbors lawn, provided it isn't like entirely caged or something, there's no "force field" stopping you from sailing to Antartica, and walking about. There exist persons and equipment that would rather you didn't, (the governments of the antarctic treaty), and they might take actions to deter you. But, if you want to acquire the means to travel there independently, I believe you could.

Heck, any of those countries could probably conduct military exercises, although they are 'banned', with the only repercussions coming from how well such acts are responded to by the other countries.

Let me guess, you think that someone will "stop you from reaching the ice wall"?

The governments of the Antarctic Treaty can't have jurisdiction over land they do not own. They claim it's for purely scientific endeavours, so where's all this science then?

Ice wall is a silly term. No I'm sure they'd welcome me with open arms and let me freely explore.

From antarctica.gov.au/law-and-treaty/history/antarctic-territorial-claims

Among the original signatories of the Antarctic Treaty were the seven countries – Argentina, Australia, Chile, France, New Zealand, Norway and the United Kingdom – with territorial claims to parts of Antarctica; some overlapping. Some Treaty Parties do not recognise territorial claims and others maintain they reserve the right to make a claim.

The Antarctic Treaty puts aside the potential for conflict over sovereignty by providing that nothing that occurs while the Treaty is in force will enhance or diminish territorial claims. Treaty Parties cannot make any new claims while the Treaty is in force.

There is also a pdf of the territorial map of Antarctica on that page.

And jurisdiction really only applies to how well you can enforce it, if someone from one of those groups doesn't physically accost you, you can quite literally go there. At least in this scenario, I would agree that respectful tourism, and scientific pursuits being encouraged in the antarctic by these countries is likely more beneficial than military exercises and waste dumping.

I did a quick search on Nature.com for papers related to antarctica, and there are plenty of results this year. I'd be wiling to bet there are more published to other journals as well.

As a civilian, could you go there and freely explore or not?

As for the "science" being done there, it's just shite about the ice shelves. They've done jack shit over there, nothing of interest comes from it.

>As for the "science" being done there, it's just shite about the ice shelves
>research stations in Antartica somehow focus on things related to Antartica

What, are you suggesting they set up a multi-million dollar research station to research butterflies instead?

Also, ffs: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antarctica#Research

AS an independent autonomous agent, you can just as freely explore antarctica as you could any area on earth, whether that's a public space, private property, unclaimed territories, etc.

Does that somehow shield you from actions of others, wildlife, natural phenomenon, no. But, you are not in any way encumbered from physically occupying that space, save for the actions of others, the physical distance and any natural elements that may challenge you.

If you believe that everything there is to know about those ice shelves is known. Then, everyone still there is just a tourist that happen to be doing some form of science.

You can likely go to Antarctica, yes, really, you can!

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antarctica#Research

Who operates these research stations and what amazing discoveries have they made?

>AS an independent autonomous agent, you can just as freely explore antarctica as you could any area on earth, whether that's a public space, private property, unclaimed territories, etc.

So why has no one done this?

>If you believe that everything there is to know about those ice shelves is known.

It's not really the shelves that are that interesting, it's what's beyond them that is.

>niggers think that the USAP is a front for the evil g-men guarding the flat earth ice wall
>meanwhile I have to bust my ass getting hired at GanaA'Yoo to get a chance at heading down to McMurdo
lol, I've basically memorized the 300 page USAP guide for new hires by now. Did y'all know you can't take more than 1 month of prescription drugs through Christchurch when heading down to the research stations? it's ass.

At least people still have quake LAN parties there.

>implying ethics of destroying alien environments was what he was talking about
Dumb shit

What's with the low-test pics?

Step the fuck up

>So why has no one done this?
People are there, right now. Search for videos of people climbing mountains in Antarctica. Or skiing, or sailing, or kayaking.

If you truly believe, honestly, that there is some sort of physical limitation or government entity preventing you then I'd suggest learning all you can on investigatory journalism, spy techniques, start planning out a course through the sea, find out what it would take to survive such a journey, find a captain or crew mates who hold similar views and go find out.

It's like 500 miles from the tip of south america to Antarctica, even with a sail boat that's only about a week at sea. So, in two to three weeks time, you could find out for yourself, not secondhand, the truth.

>create SpaceX tread
>expect Elon-memes, fanboys and haters
>hoping for some decent Falcon Heavy discussions in all of this

>90% of the thread is one poor fucker trying to reason with B.o.B

I expected shitposting, but not this. And part of me is asking myself why i'm surprised

Band of Brothers? wat

Just the tip.

Dirty girl.

>People are there, right now. Search for videos of people climbing mountains in Antarctica. Or skiing, or sailing, or kayaking.

These people are barely in Antarctica, they are not free to explore at all.

>It's like 500 miles from the tip of south america to Antarctica, even with a sail boat that's only about a week at sea. So, in two to three weeks time, you could find out for yourself, not secondhand, the truth.

The truth is self-evident as no one can freely explore it. Look at what happened to a flight tour that took place in the 70's: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_New_Zealand_Flight_901

There's a reason tours like that don't happen any more, you will be punished for it.

You caught us. Antarctica is just an ice wall and the Earth is flat. The sun is only a few thousand miles away. The international cabal exists just to make clever detectives like you look bad for figuring out the conspiracy. #researchflatearth

>Antarctica is just an ice wall

Who said that?

Well it's definitely not a sphere.

>The international cabal exists just to make clever detectives like you look bad for figuring out the conspiracy.

I think the conspiracy is so beautifully constructed it's like a work of art.

>I think the conspiracy is so beautifully constructed it's like a work of art

I know right? Good thing we're so smart we figured it all out. You must be a very educated man, like me.

antarcticaflights.com.au/
This company is still operating, perhaps these pilots are better than the ones in that tragedy, who had apparently never flown in that region before.

adventure-life.com/antarctica
Or perhaps you would like to feel the ice beneath your feet.

spi-ace-expedition.ch/
This group did an entire circumnavigation of the Antarctic.

I don't know what you think is being hidden from you in Antarctica, but I'd imagine similar to my trip to Iceland, I was free to walk out as far as I wanted onto glaciers or swim in the oceans, at my own risk and my own judgement.

Iceland is gr8. I've been twice, once to do the touristy stuff, and once as a high adventure trip w/ my Boy Scout troop. Isn't it great how there are basically zero warning signs or fences at anything which isn't a super-touristy area? Non-litigatious cultures are lovely.

Anyone can figure it out, just requires the ability to think to use your own brain instead of letting it be used for you.

>This company is still operating, perhaps these pilots are better than the ones in that tragedy, who had apparently never flown in that region before.

Yes I'm sure they follow strict guidelines about where to go.

>adventure-life.com/antarctica
>Or perhaps you would like to feel the ice beneath your feet.

Pic is how far these tours go...

>spi-ace-expedition.ch/
>This group did an entire circumnavigation of the Antarctic.

Where's the actual proof? The best I could find was heavily edited 3 min videos. Where's the substance?

>Iceland

There's nothing left to explore in Iceland.

Three friends and I did a 10 day trip around the whole thing along the ring road, Terrifically beautiful country. Basically all the signage we came across would say "Someone climbed there, slipped and is gone, just FYI" or "Powerful riptides, our coast guard is one boat".

Did you get to try the fermented shark? Or any of the gas station hot dogs?

>Anyone can figure it out, just requires the ability to think to use your own brain instead of letting it be used for you.

Damn right, fuck schools and fuck books, all we need is our own ideas to know the truth!

Hey, since we're both so much smarter than the regular idiots, maybe we can pull of the nearly impossibly difficult and intensely technical Eratosthenes experiment to show that it doesn't work and there is no curvature! It would take immense combined intelligence to do this, which is why nobody else has ever managed to attempt the experiment to disprove the results.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eratosthenes#Measurement_of_the_Earth's_circumference

we did have gas station hot dogs; we also got to see a preserved mcdonalds burger under a glass dome. It was the last mcdonalds burger sold in Iceland or something like that.

Our trip was 7 days long—We rented a Land Rover (there were 6 of us) and went pretty far up the ring road from the south. Went to the ice lagoon, went ice climbing, stayed for a few nights at the Icelandic scout camp, visited the hueg tapestry thing, hiked up a mountain that was marked off-limits to everyone (there were radio towers at the top), and did other random stuff. Stayed a night at Þórsmörk too - that place is absolutely stunning. All of the one lane wooden bridges were neat as well

10/10 would go back. It's literally the perfect vacation spot. Everyone speaks english, and everyone takes credit cards. Cheap flights from Logan too

mountainguides.com/vinson-photos.shtml
This is pretty darn close to the south pole, and you get to climb to some pretty good elevations.

antarctic-logistics.com/trip/climb-antarctica/
This site offers similar climbs as well.

polar-quest.com/trips/antarctica/fly-to-the-south-pole
Or, here, you can go directly to the south pole.

If cost is your next argument, it shouldn't be too hard to crowdfund the cost for one trusted member at a time.

I plan to go back and hit up a few of the touristy things that we missed on my first visit, but basically everywhere is excellent, save for Myvatn in the summer time, giant swarms of flies all over the place.

The rapper, not the mini-series.
One was a decent rapper, who stopped rapping and startet tweeting about FE, and the other is one of the best mini-series ever created

Well good thing that those who think like you are a tiny minority in the scientific community.

Not really.

I agree. Give all that money to Africa to produce more r-selected 80IQ negroids.

i wonder how those attachment points work

i guess the center mount does most of the work, the outer ones look like pistons with the heads attached to the center booster in the rectangular boxes. they detach from the center, fold up and retract?

delta iv heavy on the bottom has two close to the centers