What version do you read Lit?

Lit i've been having trouble being 20 myself and young trying to figure out what version of the bible to read. I Grew up with king james and the reason im asking this is sorta a i guess a spiritual awaking in a sense. When coming Across the story Jesus and the woman taken in adultery in Gospel of John 7:53-8:1. This is a good story but im gona focus on one part in particular When the Pharisee come to jesus and request that jesus bring judgement jesus instead. Gets down in sand in starts drawing but the bible doesn't tell us what he's drawing and this leads me to my point.

People have tried to make sense of what jesus was drawing in the sand that day. Some say it was the tend commandments, others say that jesus was writing out the sins of the Pharisee in the sands. But desu im kinda of the belief that if the bible didn't tell us we shouldn't speculate. Can anyone else relate? The idea that the more men temper with things it becomes more corrupted? That's why i only read the king james version and my being 20 i'll be honest. It's hard at time to read the bible especially with it being in paraphrases. But their is a reason jesus says more or less he does this to attract true believers. Can anyone else relate to this in their life someone possibly older with life experience ?

Other urls found in this thread:

books.google.com.au/books?id=GqCXdIpMyi0C&pg=PA733&lpg=PA733&dq=worldzhong&source=bl&ots=sxcNQLcols&sig=KERtOvzR24VHxHB2kE2TMadJoL4&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi-wcbaxtTSAhUCvbwKHVElB3w4ChDoAQgwMAc#v=onepage&q=worldzhong&f=false
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Why don't you read the latest and the last version?

NOT FUCKING KING JAMES ITS A 400 FUCKING YEAR OLD OUTDATED PIECE OF TRASH. NIV OR ALMOST ANY OTHER MAINSTREAM TRANSLATION IS MUCH BETTER.

>inb4 muh beautifully (poorly) translated prose.

Wasn't like the oldest surviving copy in the original greek upload online a few years back?
Learn greek and read that.
I believe that greek is called Koine Greek, and is good because it is at the same time close to modern greek and to ancient greek of Homer.

Robert Alter's OT translations, Richard Lattimore's NT, KJV, NASB, NRSV, Young's.

I've always taken that passage to mean He was just doodling on the ground till the Pharisees stopped yammering at him. Anyway, we'll never know, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Don't fall for the NRSV meme, get the RSV. NRSV is an awful attempt at updating the NRSV that adds a lot of ambiguities and ridiculous nonsense in its attempts to be inclusive.

Updating the RSV*

the only version:

books.google.com.au/books?id=GqCXdIpMyi0C&pg=PA733&lpg=PA733&dq=worldzhong&source=bl&ots=sxcNQLcols&sig=KERtOvzR24VHxHB2kE2TMadJoL4&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi-wcbaxtTSAhUCvbwKHVElB3w4ChDoAQgwMAc#v=onepage&q=worldzhong&f=false

examples? not trying to grill you I just want to know

Different user. It's mostly in the New Testament, where the greek says "brothers" (adelphoi) it's translated it to "brothers and sisters", "believers", etc. because in koine greek "brothers" could refer to a mixed group as well as an all-male group. Also places when it says "man" to mean human being, it's usually translated as "person" to avoid ambiguity. In some places it goes too far though, and loses a bit of meaning when a subject is actually meant to be male, e.g. Proverbs 2:12 which actually says "It will save you from the way of the evil man", but "man" is removed in the NRSV.

Personally, I could go either way, it doesn't make or break a translation for me. As long as you know it's mostly to do with the greek work adelphoi, it's fine.

If you're curious, here's how a few modern translations handle the passage. Also good to know that the story isn't in the earliest manuscripts and is probably an addition.

NRSV
> 4 they said to him, ‘Teacher, this woman was caught in the very act of committing adultery. 5 Now in the law Moses commanded us to stone such women. Now what do you say?’ 6 They said this to test him, so that they might have some charge to bring against him. Jesus bent down and wrote with his finger on the ground. 7 When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, ‘Let anyone among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her.’ 8 And once again he bent down and wrote on the ground [footnote: Other ancient authorities add 'the sins of each of them'

RSV
>4 they said to him, “Teacher, this woman has been caught in the act of adultery. 5 Now in the law Moses commanded us to stone such. What do you say about her?” 6 This they said to test him, that they might have some charge to bring against him. Jesus bent down and wrote with his finger on the ground. 7 And as they continued to ask him, he stood up and said to them, “Let him who is without sin among you be the first to throw a stone at her.” 8 And once more he bent down and wrote with his finger on the ground.

ESV
>4 they said to him, “Teacher, this woman has been caught in the act of adultery. 5 Now in the Law, Moses commanded us to stone such women. So what do you say?” 6 This they said to test him, that they might have some charge to bring against him. Jesus bent down and wrote with his finger on the ground. 7 And as they continued to ask him, he stood up and said to them, “Let him who is without sin among you be the first to throw a stone at her.” 8 And once more he bent down and wrote on the ground.

NABRE
>4 They said to him, “Teacher, this woman was caught in the very act of committing adultery. 5 Now in the law, Moses commanded us to stone such women. So what do you say?” 6 They said this to test him, so that they could have some charge to bring against him. Jesus bent down and began to write on the ground with his finger. [footnote: Cf. Jer 17:13 (RSV): “Those who turn away from thee shall be written in the earth, for they have forsaken the Lord, the fountain of living water”; cf. Jn 7:38.] 7 But when they continued asking him, he straightened up and said to them, “Let the one among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her.” 8 Again he bent down and wrote on the ground.

This.
Perhaps this.
Certainly not this.

pretty gay desu. but if that's all it is then its not so bad, though I dont see why you'd try to get away with translating it like that. the biblical authors always write as if they're talking exclusively male audiences

>the biblical authors always write as if they're talking exclusively male audiences
In a lot of cases they're not, though. For example, Paul mentions women as part of the christian communities he's addressing plenty of times. And the NRSV always has a footnote to point out when the original word is "brothers", so it's not much of an issue.

But like I said, I could go either way. The language of the time was more male-dominated than contemporary English, so it depends if you care about that being reflected or not.

Has anyone read these Everett Fox translations? they're meant to maintain Hebrew syntax and word forms. Seems interesting

Why do these nerds always ruin the classic english renderings? just say cast the first stone.

To be frank, I don't see any difference of substance. A more useful comparison would be if you added, say, the KJV, NIV, Young's Literal, Alter, and, for fun, The Message.

That whole passage is a later addition anyway, so I woudn't mind about it.

Obviously women were a large part in supporting Paul's mission but dont you think for the most part the bible and almost every other ancient text talks about women as if they're not present?

Because the KJV still exists if you want a traditional translation, a modern version is pointless if it keeps all the archaicisms. Nobody would say "cast the ball to me", for example.

Okeydoke

KJV
>4 they say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act. 5 Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou? 6 This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not. 7 So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her. 8 And again he stooped down, and wrote on the ground.

YLT
>4 they say to him, `Teacher, this woman was taken in the very crime -- committing adultery,
>5 and in the law, Moses did command us that such be stoned; thou, therefore, what dost thou say?'
>6 and this they said, trying him, that they might have to accuse him. And Jesus, having stooped down, with the finger he was writing on the ground,
>7 and when they continued asking him, having bent himself back, he said unto them, `The sinless of you -- let him first cast the stone at her;'
>8 and again having stooped down, he was writing on the ground,

The Message
>3-6 The religion scholars and Pharisees led in a woman who had been caught in an act of adultery. They stood her in plain sight of everyone and said, “Teacher, this woman was caught red-handed in the act of adultery. Moses, in the Law, gives orders to stone such persons. What do you say?” They were trying to trap him into saying something incriminating so they could bring charges against him.
>6-8 Jesus bent down and wrote with his finger in the dirt.

And for fun, the Hawaii Pidgin version
>4 Dey tell him, “Teacha, we wen find dis wahine fooling aroun wit anodda guy dat not her husban! 5 Now, Moses wen tell us in da Rules, ‘Whoeva fool aroun behind da oddaʼs back, gotta throw big kine stones at um fo kill um.’ But you, wat you say?” 6 Dey say dat fo see wat he goin say, cuz dey like catch him fo bus him.
>But Jesus wen bend ova an write someting wit his finga on top da dirt. 7 So wen dey stay aks him ova an ova, he stand up strait an tell um, “If get one a you guys dat neva do bad kine stuff, he can throw da first stone at her.” 8 Den he bend ova one mo time, an write some mo on top da dirt.

Nobody's ruined anything, KJV's still there for you to read if you think 'cast' has more accuracy, value or beauty than 'throw'.

I'll cast my balls unto thee in a minute.
Every translation there completely ruins the gravitas of the KJV. Surely theres a common sense middle ground where you change the archaicisms working class people wont get but keep the quotes which are engraved into the English speaking mind

That's exactly what the NKJV does, now get thee behind me satan, and fuck off.

>Our dad who is in heaven holy be your name

also I'm not protestant

>The sinless of you -- let him first cast the stone at her.
>If get one a you guys dat neva do bad kine stuff, he can throw da first stone at her.
There you go, OP, the full spectrum: sublime to ridicule. Have your pick.

The writing in the sand references this:
O LORD, the hope of Israel, all that forsake thee shall be ashamed, and they that depart from me shall be written in the earth, because they have forsaken the LORD, the fountain of living waters. -Jeremiah 17:13

Then what are you complaining about, read the Douay-Rheims bible if you want to suck the Pope's dick

Why are you defending this so aggressively you angry boofhead? your only argument is that other translators didn't mess it up, what kind of maniac says value and beauty in language is irrelevant on the literature sub reddit of a khazarian dreidel spinning forum?

You can stop looking guys, I've found the best versions at my local bookstore

How do people feel about the Didache bible with the Catholic Catechism?

I think I've got an addiction Veeky Forums

None. I'm an adult.

ESV or NIV is good. NASB is also good.

If you're worried about which translation is "best", i suggest you get a study bible with the original greek side by side.

KJV is the one of the most beautiful books in English, there's no reason not to read it unless you're a scholar, religious, or too stupid to understand archaic English.

Psalm 1:1

NIV
>Blessed is the one
>who does not walk in step with the wicked
>or stand in the way that sinners take
>or sit in the company of mockers,

ESV
>Blessed is the one
>who does not walk in step with the wicked
>or stand in the way that sinners take
>or sit in the company of mockers,

NASB
>How blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked,
>Nor stand in the path of sinners,
>Nor sit in the seat of scoffers!

KJV
>Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful.

>>>>>>>>The message
>How well God must like you—
>you don’t hang out at Sin Saloon,
>you don’t slink along Dead-End Road,
>you don’t go to Smart-Mouth College.

>Our dad who is in heaven holy be your name

Holy kek is that real or just a joke?

New American Bible
>easier to read than KJ
>has footnotes to give context
>top-shelf books like Maccabees and Tobit

First read through: NSRV study bible

Second read through: King James

It's a joke. Most modern translations have

>Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name.

Looser translations have something like this

>Our Father in heaven: May your holy name be honored