Sexual Personae by Camille Paglia

Is this worth reading?

Other urls found in this thread:

nytimes.com/1990/07/22/books/siding-with-the-men.html?pagewanted=all
aol.com/article/2011/11/02/5-high-profile-careers-that-survived-sex-scandals/20096841/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Yes, Paglia is a very fun writer even if you don't agree with her, and she has an insightful take on feminism and gender roles in modern society. Her long essay "Junk Bonds and Corporate Raiders" is good too, and Glittering Images.

She has strong opinions on a lot of things and she's clearly marked by her preferred critical frameworks (Freud) but she transcends stuff like that and is just an interesting intellectual t b h.

?

It has been influential in the academic world, mainly as something to be knocked down.

But please, just don't get hooked on her meme-ry on youtube: that part of her career is truly worthless.

Actually not far off the mark.

>But please, just don't get hooked on her meme-ry on youtube: that part of her career is truly worthless.

All media intellectuals are horrible, and it's always better to just read their actual work, which can actually be decent literature. In this case, Sexual Personae is great, and it's one of the few pieces of criticism that's genuinely provocative and funny.

How so? Do you deny Paglia's pic related is an astute summary of our generations misunderstanding of the sexes?

I agree it is very sad she has to throw in with conservatives/AEI on youtube in order to be heard. It speaks volumes on the exclusionary and dogmatic nature of feminism in 2017.

please give link for essay

didnt finish it, my impression was similar to this review:
>But ''Sexual Personae'' is tainted with the kind of symbol-mongering reductionism that sees one thing in everything, and despite its considerable virtues, it left me thinking of Earl Long's pithy appraisal of Henry Luce and his notoriously single-minded magazines: ''Mr. Luce is like a man that owns a shoe store and buys all the shoes to fit himself. Then he expects other people to buy them.''
nytimes.com/1990/07/22/books/siding-with-the-men.html?pagewanted=all

and for provocative things i would go straight to weininger, no feminist has surpassed him.

>How so? Do you deny Paglia's pic related is an astute summary of our generations misunderstanding of the sexes?

I haven't said that I'm taking the part of her opposers, I think that her voice was a legit one and that her work was not dishonest, nor it did lack insight.

Still, her videos are untolerable.
>It speaks volumes on the exclusionary and dogmatic nature of feminism in 2017.
Paglia is more famous than any other eminent feminist thinker you could think of. Not so exlusionary after all.

I agree, and I genuinely love her writing style. It really taught me how to be even zestier.

I thought the book was too dry and wasn't worth my time, but I think feminist theory is a waste of time. I do greatly enjoy reading her essays and reviews though. I think her hysterically frantic mind and humor is wonderful in the short form.

>sex is power

this could be interesting if someone talked about how sex is power that women have, but it's always some whiny feminist crap about how women are exploited by powerful men blah blah blah

"rape isn't about sex, it's about power" is one of the stupidest things anyone has ever said, if it's just about power, why doesn't the rapist force the women to make him a sandwich and do his laundry instead of fucking her? come on man

>"rape isn't about sex, it's about power" is one of the stupidest things anyone has ever said, if it's just about power, why doesn't the rapist force the women to make him a sandwich and do his laundry instead of fucking her? come on man
I audibly laughed, top quality bait

i'm just gonna read it cuz it has that sick 90s vaporwave aesthetic on the cover t b h famalam

rape is only about "power" if women consider their ability to withhold sex from betas and nerds as power, and the rapist is neutralizing the rapees sexual power, but the rapist is probably some nofap faggot whos junglistically horny and ready to snap if he sees one more whitegirl buns of steel ass run by in yogapants

I'm not American but this got me into Melville. It's so worth reading, specially if you're a complete pleb and know nothing about myth or psychoanalysis, which wasn't completely oblivious to me, but she opened lots of doors. She's really well read. Harold Bloom was her professor at Yale I think.

This book was horrible. Paglia's worldview is bizarrely Freudian. Paglia writes only the loosest and most unsatisfactory of evidence for any of her assertions. She ignores the lack of evidence for the majority of psychodynamic theory in general and for the "family romance" in particular. When you ignore empirical evidence all you have left is what resonates for you personally, which Freudian theory does not. Though she even picks through psychodynamic theory. The book makes me want to shake her. Paglia writes well, but the danger of her compelling prose is that people may believe her.

if that's the only reason for rape than why does it happen in strict muslim countries where every dude is basically guaranteed a wife to fuck and every woman is covered up otherwise?

I saw in one of her videos where she comments on the collapse of high civilizations due to ambiguity.

For example in the US: gender roles, identity, and post modernism in general. This makes the men in the culture effemininate and easily conquered by more aggressive cultures. Also, the effeminate males become less desirable by the women.

An example would be traditional white male culture being replaced by black culture and Islam.

She states that the art of that culture is the sign of the times.

Early Roman art (masculine): Sucess/dominant
Late Roman art (feminine): Conquered by barbarians

Same thing with the Chinese and the Mongols.

How is late roman art feminine?

because those guys don't have wives yet, and the civilization is too repressive to let them have sex or get nuts off any other way, again if it was just about keeping women indoors, why not just beat their ass if they're outside instead of raping them? stoning women to death for cheating is about power, a bunch of horny arab faggots groping women in the market is about a shitty culture where dudes can't just go to a strip club and stuff a five down a strippers thong when they are super horny and need to jackoff

i like how women and effeminate homosexuals try to womensplain rape to men. how the fuck would you know what rape is about? fuck off

muslim guys with wives have been known to rape mang, especially daughters which is weird

they also rape boys, why would a guy who's guaranteed a wife hammer some boipucci? because they're fucking horny faggots that's why

I just say it's a bit less than just sexual gratification cause I tell you I am not attracted to your mom at all and am easily satisfied from fucking your sister yet I just gotta fuck that bitch mom of yours all the same as some kinda power move or some shit.

ugly women may masturbate to fantasies of rape all the time, but the people who actually get raped by refugees, arabs and nigs are not fat grannies, sorry lady

So she's an altreicher...

sexual personae was published in 1990 faggot

Is she dead?
Also why do white people always appropriate from non-whites? Why is her face next to Cleopatra? She should use the face of a white American woman.

>Also why do white people always appropriate from non-whites? Why is her face next to Cleopatra?

weak bait, everyone knows Cleopatra, as part of the Ptolemaic dynasty, was of Greek stock.

>greeks
>white

>implying north africa and levant wasn't white before islamic imperialism and colonialism wiped out the indigenous communities

I have literally no idea what the fuck is going on here at this point and who's insulting who and arguing what, but rape is about sex and the desire for sex.

The same way robbing a store is about a desire for money. Or mugging a person is about said desire. You could also make the convoluted point that it's about power, but in the immediate sense, it's for money.

Sometimes, when I'm really horny, I feel like groping a chick. But I don't do it because I'm not a monkey. But I understand how someone poor, and poorly brought up, and not seeing much future in their life (or someone in a super sexually-repressed Muslim culture) could rape someone. Not because of """"patriarchal society"""" but because they're horny and lack self-control.

exactly, when some mexican day laborer rapes and kills a jogger in some nyc park, it's not because he was an enforcer of patriarchy, it's because he was drunk and probably hasn't wacked off in a month because he lives with 10 other dudes in one apartment, and just lost it and went nuts after seeing some perky titties bouncing their way towards on the trail lit only by the first rays of dawn as he nursed the last of his whiskey

Which is kind of true. The only men that are masculine today are working class men and they are seen as brutes and are branded as 'toxic' by middle and upper-class feminists and other decadents.

uhh, what about President Grab 'Em By The Pussy?

Yeah I wonder about this.

I mean if rape is just guys not controlling their urges and not being able to find a willing girl so they act out why do so many wealthy men rape? They can just speeddial a willing prostitute and they have girls throwing themselves at their feet and yet they often are known for rape.

You can't argue every single man accused of rape was a case of false accusation.

And do ya'll think women can rape? Do women feel that absolute "gotta fuck" urge and they go out and rape cause it seems they plan that shit out more but in many cases those women could have found a guy willing if they'd put in effort yet they go after the unwilling.

Yeah well, he's obviously being branded as a brute and as toxic precisely because he is echoing a kind of masculinity that was common 50 years ago.

>They can just speeddial a willing prostitute and they have girls throwing themselves at their feet and yet they often are known for rape.

again women don't get this, and betamales might not get it either, but if you have any kind of "power" a lot of women will try to fuck you, that's how these poor bastards like doctors who grope their patients, or professors who sexually harrass students, etc. get into trouble, they get used to women giving up the nappy dugout willingly that they start to expect it, or at least push the boundaries more and more, until they either go to far, or a women who was only flirting out a fantasy gets offended when the dude actually expects her to suck it, etc. women who are actually conscious and honest can probably see this is what's happening, the problem is the shrill feminists are the opposite of that, so it's a big mystery only to be explained by "power"

What I don't get about the Dr or professor is in both those cases they could easily get women without taking advantage of the patient/student (which they know is illegal) so why do it?

Also what about the cosby situation? Why bother drugging women into passing out and fucking them if you have money and power to easily attract a woman that'd be willing and would do more work than just lie there?

I just mean personally as a dude that can get laid I just don't see the attraction in rape. I understand dudes that just maybe didn't know she wasn't consenting. Like bitch seemed into it one moment then just wasn't but you were mid dick in whatever. But that whole drugging a girl or a girl pushing you away and just obviously not into it turns my dick off. I hear a girl crying no and some instinct in me just gets into protector mode instead of fuck. Plus I just like enthusiastic dick hungry sluts.

So for me I never thought of it as power I just think those guys that are into rape either got fucked up sexually or just literally can't possibly get fucked any other way or just have some kinda sociopathy that won't tell them to stop when they see someone suffering or they just enjoy seeing someone suffer. That's why I feel like in some cases rapists/pedos and such sexual offenders should get more mental treatment instead of just jail punishment.

well cosby is black so he is probably dealing with rape drives that aryans and asians are just not going understand, but again, the professor gets used to students seducing him all the time, so when some innocent fresh off the farm feminist comes to his office hours says she wants to study with him one on one, he thinks "fuck yeah, new sememster, new punani" then when late at night they are "studying" at his house or whatever, and he tries to get it in "omg rape! rape! dirty old rapist!"

didn't coatzee or however you spell it write some shit about this, idk, but also there's a difference between "being able to get laid" and being in a position where women actively try to seduce you, you don't know who wants the dick and who actually wants personal mentoring after hours, so you either get noided as fuck and refuses to help any female students and now are a "sexist" or you start hammering the vags until you hammer the wrong one and get pinched

Well considering something like 90% of rapes are committed by 2% of men or something, people are blowing this shit out of proportion.

I'm pretty sure the simple shit to do in the professors case is just to not fuck students and not have students by your house regardless of students sex. This shit ain't that complicated. There's plenty of successful professors that manage to not be run by their dicks.

oh they're just really careful about only fucking willing students, like harold bloom for example, he slayed tons of undergrad vag, but never got accused of takin' it from the unwilling

So every professor is just fucking students?

dang learn something new every saturday night on Veeky Forums

>he thinks professors aren't hammering students every night

oh u naive little thing, you're like a baby

That's what old Fritz Nietzsche would refer to as Transvaluation of Values. The values of the post 60s generation, based on the shrillest slave morality are giving way to a new Heroic Age defined by master morality

you didn't think oriental barbarians could roll up on europe without the spirit of the old gods stirring did u, athena/minerva/mary not gonna go for that, new heroes comin' up

>a kind of masculinity that was common 50 years ago

I don't think you even need to go back that far, Trump's words would not have been shocking 20, or even 10, years ago. The political effect sort of distorts this too: would anyone this fall have cared if Donald Trump had said "grab them by the pussy" back in 2005 (or 2007?) if he had not been up for election in a little over a month?

scandals don't mean anything after Trump, he's been accused of Rape, of fascism and of being a puppet of an hostile foreign power, his strings pulled by Putler himself. Nothing can touch him. It's obvious the old rules no longer apply. If everything is infinitely shocking and outrageous, as our media economy wants it to be, then nothing is truly shocking. People are numb to pretty much almost anything by this point.

>an hostile

"an" only goes with silent 'H's my dude, assuming u werent being ironic

Hellenistic art is general is pretty flabby stuff.

Then you have the cult of Isis, replacement of the youth Eros (the personification of sexual assertiveness) with the chick-friendly Cupid as the baby child of Venus, decline of the ancient paterfamilias, the growth of the power of mistresses, wives and mothers in Byzantium, the rise of Elagabalus in Rome, the woman-friendly cult of Jesus (which often spread upwards through wively influence on husbands,) etc.

>Hellenistic art

uh, hellenistic art is greek

Assuming this is all true, what exactly is the point of this critique? Who cares if we aren't raising *all* of our men to be stoic assholes pressured into shitty marriages? I've never actually seen someone suggest a remedy to this ````problem''''.

>Paglia writes only the loosest and most unsatisfactory of evidence for any of her assertions. She ignores the lack of evidence for the majority of psychodynamic theory in general and for the "family romance" in particular.
Also this. It's a mind-numbing exercise, but actually going through the work she cites with a fine-toothed comb demonstrates the utterly massive liberties she takes

>Nothing can touch him.
He lost a good hunk of his upper middle class white male base last week with those tomahawk missles and public denunciations of bannon

the upper middle class base wants him to keep the economy going, they don't care if shoots off some missiles, must of the people all pissed off about that are proletarians many of whom are in the armed forced and want their free college without having to do any work, the rich people don't care if there's another war, they all cheered bush on as he went to iraq, you're class analysis sucks, if you're not american you have an excuse, otherwise get outside of your gated community

what people seem to always miss is that president trump said "you can do anything to them, you can grab them by the pussy... and when you are rich and famous they let you do it"

it's not a problem it's a cycle: strong men>good times>weak men>bad times>strong men...

Trump might have lost a few alt righters, but he won the support of the Warmachine, mainstream media outlets have been giving him the commander in chief treatment.that's all that matters really. Expect him to keep bombing stuff, I suspect he's found his 'winning strategy'

>it's not a problem it's a cycle: strong men>good times>weak men>bad times>strong men...

it's like what ben horowitz writes about in "the hard thing about hard things" there is the "peacetime ceo" and the "wartime ceo", the peacetime ceo does diversity initiated, daycare perks, work from home, etc. the progressive office perks of humane capitalism, but when the company is facing bankruptcy or a major assault from a competitor that kind of nice guy ceo either has to turn into a wartime ceo, or be replaced by the board with a ceo who can, and then they do whatever it takes to keep the company alive, whether it's lay people off, make people work through their weekends, make people have harder quotes, whatever

I'm talking about the white nationalists on twitter that did a lot of his groundwork in 2016. They all hated trump's about-face on foreign intervention and many have soured on supporting him.

Every time I've read someone making that argument, it's always been posed as a problem and not a natural and unavoidable occurrence.

people don't read plutarch anymore...

exactly! the new york times even published an article on the front page about illegal immigrant ms-13 gangmembers who did a bunch of grizzly murders on long island, and the new york times absolutely hates to report anything that makes immigrants look less than angels immigrating from heaven, it's like ok if the nytimes threw him that bone, then it looks like the establishment is gonna be boarding the trump train at the next stop syria. also, let's be real, all the liberal jews that hated trump so viciously have kind of softened up seeing kushner with his little yarmukle behind trump always

>harder quotes
quotas*

>I'm talking about the white nationalists on twitter that did a lot of his groundwork in 2016.
>implying half the accounts on twitter aren't just russian bots who are mad that trump is now going to support nato

democrats have gone into conspiracy kook world with this "putin hacked the election" shit, but it's obvious a lot of social media and even meme power is coming out of russia

And that explains A) the hate against so-called "mail order brides" B) the animosity against sex robots when we don't even have a robot with the same agency and curious intelligence as a puppy dog.

I wonder, how does it feel that the political system that governs you is largely autonomous and all the work that was put into electing an "anti-establishment" candidate went to shit?

Tune out?
Go extreme?
Keep trying and be comfortable with reduced progress?

To the extent that Russia is involved at all, I'm pretty sure that it's mostly independent white nationalists siding with Russia because they see Putin as the ideal strongman and a bulwark against the various idpol boogeymen

No, he hacked the very democratic process with his lies and bullshit.

learn to stop worrying and love capitalism

best b trollin ngr

>like harold bloom for example, he slayed tons of undergrad vag
source?

rumors i read in a shitpost, but do you really find that hard to believe? rockstars gonna slay groupies, be they rockstar rockstars, rockstar basketball players, or rockstar professors

wtf i love hillary now

this is literally the first hit on google for "harold bloom affairs with students"

aol.com/article/2011/11/02/5-high-profile-careers-that-survived-sex-scandals/20096841/

Hahahaha. Fuck off. Big dick playa in the White House. I'm gonna name my first child MOAB.

>a lot of social media and even meme power is coming out of russia

Occultist Alexander Dugin -Tsar Vova's Rasputin-has written about kek and and the alt right's whole autistic mythology, suspicious, no? Not only have Ivan's red hackers infiltrated our servers and pushed propaganda on our social media: America is under occult assault. Dugin is pulling the strings on Trump and probably even Putin as well, his goal, to bring about the eschaton, the end of the world.

check this out:
>Stardom has brought with it unwanted attention. In 1990, GQ published an article called "Bloom in Love," an expose by innuendo of Bloom's intimate entanglements with female students. When I mentioned the GQ article, he dismissed it with cold fury: "A disgusting piece of character assassination." But rumors of his affairs with Yale graduate students are legion. "His wandering," R. W. B. Lewis told me, "I gather is a thing of the past. I hate to say it, but he rather bragged about it, so that wasn't very secret for a number of years."

I'd love to read that GQ article lol

>suspicious, no?
No. You don't have to hack twitter to make an account and shitpost dank Pepes.
>Dugin
Yah. Guess he's a god damn wizard now.

i read some of dugins fourth political theory or whatever, but after slogging in quite a ways it just seemed to zizek tier named dropping...blah blah blah heidegger something something something marx blah blah blah it was like one of those "let me show you all the canonical names i can list" kind of displays, but he didnt start with the greeks, he started about mid 19th century, not impressive on any front, oh maybe he sprinkled in an aristotle reference occasionally, can't recall exactly, but it was pretty dumb

>undergrad
>not underag
Amateur!

Mandatory introduction.

Speaking of masculinity, I'd say that having long hair and be clean-shaved is more masculine than having the latest fad haircut and that large beard.

based bloom