Books to start

What books are good to START learning about Computer Science?
More specifically:
Internet
Programming
Computers
Encryption

Other urls found in this thread:

functionalcs.github.io/curriculum/
uopeople.edu/programs/cs/
Veeky
staff.science.uu.nl/~hooft101/theorist.html
staff.science.uu.nl/~gadda001/goodtheorist/index.html
functionalcs.github.io/curriculum
github.com/jwasham/coding-interview-university
github.com/Chalarangelo/30-seconds-of-code
github.com/oddProton/Datastructures-and-Algorithms-notes
explorer.opensyllabusproject.org/
nand2tetris.org/
win.tue.nl/~mdberg/Teaching/2IMA10-Material/course-notes-AA.pdf
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLm3J0oaFux3YL5vLXpzOyJiLtqLp6dCW2
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLm3J0oaFux3b8Gg1DdaJOzYNsaXYLAOKH
autism.org.uk/about/behaviour/obsessions-repetitive-routines.aspx
youtu.be/Pij6J0HsYFA
youtu.be/h-sZ4kgln40
youtu.be/BQF6gdKqiaE
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Here you go functionalcs.github.io/curriculum/ pay esp attention to 15-213 (Computer Systems) to learn how hardware works at the C/Asm level, and that Functional Programming course 15-150 w/book by Robert Harper to learn how to use induction on your algorithms to prove them.

You can also get a tuition free, completely online degree from UoP in CompSci now, why not do it
uopeople.edu/programs/cs/

Some of the material is a bit dated (the UoP degree) by about 4-5yrs, for example you'll be doing 2.2 Android in the mobile course, but who cares, the fundamentals are all the same just the API changes.

Note, by tuition free, they mean no cost except for "exam processing fees" which are $100, and you have to take about 40 exams if you're doing a full BSc or 20 or so if doing the Associates degree.

I pay $50 to use a local university's library to write exams (they are all online exams), each course is 9 weeks long, with week 10 writing the exam. They're well taught courses, and you get access to TAs but you'll need to supplement material with above CMU link for breadth of understanding and to take some theory. I started P/T 3 years ago, I did a CMU course then do UoP course at the same time. When I ran out of CMU courses I switched to 2-3 UoP courses. I'm in the Sum Cum Laude GPA range for graduation and I work F/T, so no debt. Good luck user

Wow, thanks user

>Programming
Veeky Forums-science.wikia.com/wiki/Computer_Science_and_Engineering#Basic_Programming_.26_Data_Structures

>Computers
Veeky Forums-science.wikia.com/wiki/Computer_Science_and_Engineering#Learn_your_way_around_a_Unix_shell.2C_Make.2C_System_Programming_and_C
Veeky Forums-science.wikia.com/wiki/Computer_Science_and_Engineering#Computer_Architecture_and_Digital_Logic
Veeky Forums-science.wikia.com/wiki/Computer_Science_and_Engineering#Operating_Systems

>Encryption
Veeky Forums-science.wikia.com/wiki/Computer_Science_and_Engineering#Proofs_and_Mathematical_Reasoning
Veeky Forums-science.wikia.com/wiki/Computer_Science_and_Engineering#Probability
Veeky Forums-science.wikia.com/wiki/Computer_Science_and_Engineering#Computer_Security_and_Cryptography

>Internet
Veeky Forums-science.wikia.com/wiki/Computer_Science_and_Engineering#Networks
Veeky Forums-science.wikia.com/wiki/Computer_Science_and_Engineering#Databases

Still no equivalent to
HOW to BECOME a GOOD THEORETICAL PHYSICIST ( staff.science.uu.nl/~hooft101/theorist.html , staff.science.uu.nl/~gadda001/goodtheorist/index.html )
for Computer Science

Some misc stuff:
functionalcs.github.io/curriculum

github.com/jwasham/coding-interview-university
github.com/Chalarangelo/30-seconds-of-code
github.com/oddProton/Datastructures-and-Algorithms-notes
explorer.opensyllabusproject.org/

>HOW to BECOME a GOOD THEORETICAL PHYSICIST ( staff.science.uu.nl/~hooft101/theorist.html , staff.science.uu.nl/~gadda001/goodtheorist/index.html )

>random lecture notes.

top meme

Code by petzold,
K&R,
SICP,
CLRS

This will give you a solid foundation, plus you'll learn an imperative language (C) and a functional language (scheme).

Then I'd recommend gof + clean code to learn how good practices to write actual applications.

What is so hard to understand?
>Still no equivalent to "HOW to BECOME a GOOD THEORETICAL PHYSICIST" for Computer Science

AND

>Some MISCellaneous stuff:

>ywn have a gf to thonk over your thonking dick

Can anyone recommend a really good breadboard building book?

Have you looked if MAKE has such a thing?

That is a beautiful thonk, user.

If you read the wikia, you'll be better than 99% of kids in theoretical CS. The only thing missing is reading literal journal articles.

>Better than the kids.
Easy.

>Better than all the Profs.
Hard or "Why did I even pick this Uni?"-tier (followed by "I was foolish to think I was better than them."-tier.)

The question is not only how to become a good computer scientist. It is how to become world-class.
(Though only an absolute expert in a small domain, while being excellent in the basics.)

You might need a Mathematics + Physics + Computer Science combined triple master in the end though. Even (technical) Mathematics + Computer Science might be immensely useful.
Or just CS with taking useful Math-courses. Though this might run into problems with doing stuff twice needlessly because you must redo basics that where not covered as intensely in your CS-Math-courses (unless you took the Math-courses instead).

>taking CS """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""math""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" courses

You know what I mean.

The Elements of Computing Systems by some Israelis

The book essentially teaches you how to "build" a computer, starting from basic gates and hardware up to writing OS level shit

>The Elements of Computing Systems
nand2tetris.org/

>university of the people
>democratize accredited higher education and make it accessible to all
>corporate sponsors
Oh shit nigger what are you doing

>You might need a Mathematics + Physics + Computer Science combined triple master in the end though. Even (technical) Mathematics + Computer Science might be immensely useful.
>Or just CS with taking useful Math-courses. Though this might run into problems with doing stuff twice needlessly because you must redo basics that where not covered as intensely in your CS-Math-courses (unless you took the Math-courses instead).

The is that way, stay there.

You missed the topic at hand by a mile.

The question was how to get more out of CS.

What did you expect from Veeky Forums? It's a bunch of undergrads who just parrot whatever they hear on here without actually thinking for themselves. It's quite amusing, actually, although still sad. It used to be just like this but replaced CS with Biology a few years back on here.

Good course/book, but computers aren't computer science, and this is Veeky Forums. CS is the science of solving problems with computation, it has nothing to do with technology. Real CS is actual theory, not flipping bits around with antiquated architecture designed by Von Neumann on a napkin as a temporary solution to an immediate problem. To really understand CS, abstract away the actual computer. Brainlets won't understand, they can only grok linear time, not [math]{\displaystyle O(n^{\alpha })}[/math] where [math]\alpha \ge 1[/math]

So something like this
win.tue.nl/~mdberg/Teaching/2IMA10-Material/course-notes-AA.pdf

Which deals basically in-part with flexible Memory-optimization.

Yes, APX shit like Max Cut allow polynomial-time approximation algorithms with approximation ratio bounded by a constant, this is all helping to solve hard problems with CS. That a Neo-Casio handheld i-thing can actually run it, who gives a fuck. Those are applied engineering problems to solve, not CS.

or this:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLm3J0oaFux3YL5vLXpzOyJiLtqLp6dCW2
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLm3J0oaFux3b8Gg1DdaJOzYNsaXYLAOKH

Is this what it's like to have autism?

The way to get more out of CS is to not take CS courses. Read textbooks for the basics, then read the literature to go beyond that.

Fuck off commie.

>the low-level side of computing
>important in any way whatsoever
>2017
Hey grandpa

>If you read the wikia, you'll be better than 99% of kids in theoretical CS.
Is this what Veeky Forums actually believes?

Yeah who would want to build an FPGA for wallstreet trading, or win an pwn2own competition. That shit is totally 1970s brah

You have pajeets to do that for you, autist

same guy

autism.org.uk/about/behaviour/obsessions-repetitive-routines.aspx
>Information on why obsessions, repetitive behaviour and routines may be important to people with autism, and how you can respond to them.

You wish faggot

If the Math-base is insufficient to understand or work with it, I have to close that gap.

>"Pajeet takes over Microsoft"
Oooops. Turns out cheap intelligent Pajeet that brain-drained out of India took over.

The ones in the call-centers and the others were not up to brain-draining away but formed our picture of Pajeet.

Intro to logic

Hey retard, didn't know it's you. Go back to javascript now

If you want to get into programming with Python, I usually recommed this MIT lecture series
youtu.be/Pij6J0HsYFA

I've been doing some light stuff on finance and as I do a bit smart contract programming, I'll actually be talking about hash functions next week so there's some enception related things to you
youtu.be/h-sZ4kgln40
youtu.be/BQF6gdKqiaE