CS major here. I see all the hate against my major, and I can acknowledge that it's for a good reason...

CS major here. I see all the hate against my major, and I can acknowledge that it's for a good reason. Half of my class is interested solely in game design, and is horrible at math. I'm on my second year right now though at an ABET accredited University. Does Veeky Forums recommend I continue with my major or switch to CE? If I switched to CE how much longer do you assume it will be til I obtain my bachelor's?

Other urls found in this thread:

unr.edu/cse/academics/courses
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Do you like hardware stuff like embedded systems?

Yes.
I would like to have the skills of both fields, CS and EE, which is why I thought CE would have been a much better major. As far as I know, a CE major would receive priority over a CS major in terms of hiring?

Not sure how your school does it, but I would look at the curriculum outline an check what math and physics you might need. Where I am, the CS degree only requires Calc II (quarter system) so switching to CE would require four more quarters (Calc III, Calc IV, Linear 1, Linear 2) of math alone.

Make a flowchart of the courses for both degrees then you can estimate the time. Consider if spending the extra time is worth it to you.

As far as hiring goes, choose the skill set that reflects what job you want. If you want to work at a hardware level the EE background will be invaluable. But, if you are applying for jobs in software, then the employer would probably hire a CS major.

Hmm okay I see. Would a minor in CE allow me to get a job in hardware if I wanted one sometime in the future?

Can you minor in CE and major in CS? I would imagine most schools wouldn't let you double dip like that.

My uni is allowing it, 20 extra credits though. It's worth it if it'll leave the hardware doors open, and potentially a master's in CE.

Sounds like you are interested in what you are doing. Go for the minor if you aren't too worried about time or money. Do you have to declare the minor or can you just take the courses?

You can probably get a Maters in CE without the minor, the only thing is, you will have to take whatever requirements the masters courses require. The units in Masters programs are much more expensive than undergrad, so the minor might be a good option.

At my uni you can do either. Declare or take the classes. Also I just noticed that CE at my uni also goes from calc I,calc II, calc III, and linear algebra. While CS is only calc I, calc II or stats, and discrete math.

>As far as I know, a CE major would receive priority over a CS major in terms of hiring?

Contrary to what Veeky Forums says, if it's a software job, unless it's embedded systems, you're going to have lower priority without a CS degree. It's just how it is. But your degree won't matter as much as your experience and skill. No one's going to just refuse to hire you because of that, assuming you had enough experience/skills, since otherwise they wouldn't be considering hiring you in the first place.

Basically if you like hardware, do CE. If you want to do software, stick to CS. The real world hiring process doesn't work as Veeky Forums wishes it would.

But the difference isn't too big, so if you're not sure if you want to do software or hardware once you graduate, just do CE I guess to give you more freedom.

>While CS is only calc I, calc II or stats, and discrete math.

No linear algebra?! And calc II *or* stats?

What school do you go to, OP?

>game design
IDK why this is so frowned upon.
To be a game programmer you actually have to git gud. Resources are limited so optimization and pre-planning are actually important. I honestly consider it a subset of systems programming. You also need to know math for the graphics and physics / collision detection.

Unless you're using something like Unreal, in which case yeah you're a brainlet and should off yourself.

Because HR-departments are fucking stupid and actual game design jobs are limited.

They had to restructure a master program because "Computer Science"-master is no "Software engineer"-master.
"They cannot program" (as well?).

So they made everything "Computer Science" master (with specialities in taken course track) but I think they'll make the taken specialty less obvious.

This simplifies HR's grep sorting and avoids having them needlessly sort out people who could actually do that job (as per job ad requirements).

>If I switched to CE how much longer do you assume it will be til I obtain my bachelor's?
i dunno go consult your degree requirements

if your CE program is any good you'd take enough CS fundamentals to be able to self study for a software technical interview. you will probably not be as competitive as a dedicated CS student who studies as much as you do, obviously, but that won't probably matter because you're looking to apply to closer to hardware jobs.

graphicsfags and experienced systems devs are highly valued in any programming field, but those people are not the majority.
most of the people who go to a game design program want to just slap together something in an engine because they want to make the gameplay, not spend like weeks trying to figure out why the fuck their lighting algorithm is leaking memory into the aether

unr.edu/cse/academics/courses

Most state universities have dropped a lot of the "hard" requirements, the first two years you spend learning basically nothing.
Linear algebra and Differential Equations+Matrix Math is totally optional.

Why would you switch to civil engineering?

I can totally understand dropping differential equations from a general major (you could take it if you are interested in a couple things that use it)... but linear algebra? That's useful to a lot of fields of CS, and just in general.

If anything I'd drop calc II/diff eq (and most of calc III, just keep the partial derivative, lagrange multiplier, derivative-focused stuff, but drop the surface integrals, etc), but double down on linear algebra, probability, discrete math, etc. Maybe even throw an intro group theory class (or stuff it into some generic discrete-y course).

How in the fuck is calc II (in general) more relevant than linear algebra? Sure, you can mention the series stuff for generating functions in combinatorics.

Weird I'm going to two state schools right now: both require calculus and discrete math minimum, one requires Calc 2, Statistics or Linear Algebra on top of that. Again that's for the BS or AS. Everytime I see computer degrees not requiring them, they turn out to be BA or AA.

There are way more girls in Civil Engineering compared to CS

Which ones? I googled a few (like 10) random ones and they all required linear algebra except for Wyoming State (but really, it's Wyoming...), and even that required multiple math electives past calc I/II/stats, which presumably you would use on calc III/Linear algebra most likely.

Differential equations was optional at a lot, though, but that's understandable. Most also required calc 3 (or some version of it, like Ohio state had Engineering Mathematics which only covered the differential part not multivariable integration).

From what I gathered from these random state universities usually they require stats+calcI/II/III/linear algebra as the core math classes.

>If I switched to CE how much longer do you assume it will be til I obtain my bachelor's?

3 years. Ideally, you should repeat the the course that CS and CE have in common as the CS versions are often massive jokes.

>But, if you are applying for jobs in software, then the employer would probably hire a CS major.

No. Around half the software jobs go to people without CS degrees. They'll happily take anyone with a STEM degree that has practiced programming.

OP here, my uni dropped the hard requirements for CS.

0/10, just stay in dude. You're far too dumb to bait Veeky Forums.

Shut the fuck up you retard normie

>calc IV
>linear algebra 2
What kind of brainlet uni do you go to?

He already said he's on the quarter system. Instead of 2 semesters a year, he has 3.

>>graphicsfags and experienced systems devs are highly valued in any programming field, but those people are not the majority.

They are highly valued? nice. I went into applied comp-sci because I'm a math-fag and art-fag, some cash on top sounds lit.

You're that faggot who got annihilated in his own thread where he wanted to make an opengl game but didnt wanna learn precalc, aren't you.

Fuck off now

nah, first time posting senpai :3
I don't give a fuck about games.

>opengl game
So how do I get a handle on everything involved? Write a simple game engine?

If you want to make a game, just fucking take an engine, like unreal or unity and shit out a game.
Only pompous, obnoxious faggots who don't know shit about the industry will tell you not to use engines.

I thought it was him too lmao

why tho, I said I enjoy maths.

What. Your school sounds like shit. CS at my school required up to vector calc, either probability or stats, and linear algebra.

people who want to make games are brainlets anyway. who the fuck cares if they use engines.

Because you're a brainlet if you can't write your own

What kind of retard wants to write an engine if he could simply build a game

let me guess, only brainlets use photoshop, based designers use paint, am i rite? kek

No, I'm just saying Unreal is for brainlets since there's literally no thought process. You just glue together a big mound of shit and hit the compile button

well if you have an Idea and plan ahead, why wouldn't you want to skip necessery steps?

Funny, since the people I know who make games are usually very motivated and intelligent. I guess this is just Veeky Forums's distorted world-view where they hear a meme and then just endlessly spout it.

>linear algebra
>hard requirement
freshman linear is universally considered one of the easiest classes in literally every major it's required in in every school

Is it? The non-maths/CS majors (physics and eng) I know said it had a bad reputation here due to requiring you to prove things (~80% homework is proofs, but exams are more like 15-20%, and usually more basic stuff), since the non maths/CS majors didn't take any proof-based courses concurrently to it.

The question was how to get a good basic intuitive handle on WHY things work the way they do.