American Universities

Is anyone else going to an American University that is sick of having to take x amount of credits in humanities, multiculturalism, foreign language, etc. while in a STEM field? Shit classes like gender in literature, psychology, etc. wreck my GPA every semester because I'm already taking 15 credits of math/physics/engineering and have no time to write bullshit essays.

Why do schools do this? These extra bullshit credits turn a 4 year degree into a 5 unless you want to ruin your GPA by taking 18 credits a semester

Only people who dont have to work to pay rent and bills can graduate in 4 years. Otherwise you have to take a 20 credits a semester

gid gud

I have a 4.0 GPA as a junior in engineering, but my projected graduation is still 2 and a half years from now, and I started 2 and a half years ago. If I didn't have electives that I put off clogging up my future schedule, I could be done in 3more semesters.

Yeah, the fat faggots and niggers have done a real number on Universities.

It's the only way they can compete is to change the rules of the game. Slavery as an example, is cheating.

Because more classes you take more money they earn. I’m take an english class during winter intercession so i have a vendetta against ge classes. I could be on vacation for 2 weeks but have to waste my time reading novels about some faggot englishman who wrote macbeth.

>Being a brainlet
STEMfags who can't write (aka useless numbercrunching fags) are pathetic. Enjoy being laid off at 40 while guys like me who can actually write competently get promoted to middle and upper management.

>engineering
>not even done in 4 years
git gud

>easy bug-brained courses ruin my gpa
just cheat idiot

>needs to cheat in "repeat what I said in class" courses

>the OP is complaining about HIS gpa being tanked
>i recommend that if he can’t be bothered to write 1000 word retard level essays he can just easily cheat, everyone in the social sciences knows how to do it adeptly without being detected by the equally idiotic admins and instructors
>hurr hurr you’re dumb
autism is a double-edged blade isn’t it?

The trick, OP, is to take the least retarded classes. The Geneds I've taken have been in composition, intensive writing on fiction, geology, pharmacology, astronomy, public speaking, and folklore.

I would have had to take another social/historical class, but I already knocked it out because I took AP PolySci in highschool

Just dual major. Required coursework counts as electives accross the two if you plan it right.

>Graduate early
>Get two degrees
>Spend all day with fellow STEM Bros, all night with social """science""" Stacies

Do you mean dual major with one in stem and one in liberal arts? Wouldn't it be more beneficial to do two stem majors?

No. The game here is min-maxxing the time and money wasted on mandatory out of major courses.

Doubling STEM neither lightens your workload nor removes social science requirements. One STEM plus one social science lessens (not removes) social science requirements but then allows those to count towards a second degree.

You can't not take the breadth requirements. You might as well get two degrees out of it that makes you marketable to hard and soft science industries.

gotcha thanks for clarifying

The best part about German university is that I am not required to take indoctrination classes, the other best part is that university is free, the other best part is that wageslaves are paying me to study mathematics because the state gives ME money to make me study

>Admitting to getting neetbux

Are you uncreative or just trolling? There are dozens of classes that can satisfy any requirement. You can find an interesting class to take, don't bitch about it like a moron.

It's not just American universities, literally any decent institution in the world requires you to do a minimum of courses in humanities if you're working towards a STEM degree. One that doesn't is just a degree expending machine that trains wageslaves and other such mindless drones. See .

>t. enrolled in important latin american university

If you really can't be bothered to give a shit about the real world, do as says and learn to cheat your essays, it's not hard at all. Copy-paste random bits and change the wording. I know I've done it for the few assignments I really didn't give a shit about.

>The best part about German university is that I am not required to take indoctrination classes
>I am not required to take indoctrination classes
>indoctrination classes
Haha wow

I know mainstream academia in the social sciences is as shitty as it is, but it's not like they're imposing anything on you mate. You are free to disagree with, and critique whatever they're showing you, but for that you first must understand the material. Rejecting any form of knowledge outright is basically the intellectual equivalent of a child throwing a tantrum because mommy didn't buy them candy at the checkout.

18 units is N O T H I N G. You can do 18 units and work 30 hours a week. I've never taken fewer than 21 units a quarter.

>units
You mean credits you 3rd worldwr?

>You are free to disagree with, and critique whatever they're showing you

In theory - yes

What are you doing the minimum full time credits a semester? I fucking hate electives and wish it was more like the european system where they dont do any and graduate in 3 years, but 4 years is still normal here if you follow your major flowchart

>mfw as im reading this from my cozy free apartment while americans are drowning in debt just to enter a saturated job market

Schau mal mama ich muss nicht mal gez zahlen weil ich son geiler Hecht bin und mir bafög gönn!!!!!

Retarded system

Same here bro. I need 4 semesters of a language before I graduate. I am trying to just test out of it with the Clep Test. I am trying to graduate so I can go out West.

I'm Biochemistry and my general requirements were fulfilled by things like American History, German 1&2, Arthurian Literature, Evolutionary Psychology and Computer Programming 101.

All of it was cool, relaxed shit that gave me an easy A. Plus, having a basic understanding of broad topics is kind of important. Your courseload might already be full, but it's way less of a hassle if you choose gen eds you consider important for being a well-rounded person, or at least interests you in some way.

wut? are you an engineer or somethign? only need 120 credits to graduate in my school desu

stop it

You ever meet Russian scientists from the Golden Age (ie the 60s-70s)? Fun people, very sharp, but totally inside-the-box thinking and not in the meme way.

You're supposed to go to a community college to get that shit out of the way first, then transfer.

Physics specialization here.

Economics is an arts credit. Take that. I took 2 semesters - micro, and macro. Super easy, and you should be able to infer who has a strangle hold over civilization right now from it.

I took that, and English. 2 semesters of english was required. It sucked.

Other arts credits I took metaphysics (philosophy; it sucked), and political science (not so bad, pretty stupid really). And one more I can't even remember, oh ya, anthropology (what a joke).

Does anyone know if European universities will admit a doctoral student with an MS in a different field than the desired PhD?

Technically yes but you have to convince your supervisor that you are able to do your phd and you may have to do some coursework

>Expand the mind

Honestly bruh, if you're getting "woke" from some survey class you're a turbo-tier brainlet. These classes don't make anyone well-rounded.

Finally finished all my humanities/gen eds except my cultural diversity course (taking that over the summer). Pure science for me now, can't wait.

So Oxford and Imperial College London aren't decent institutions?

lmao those are lower division joke classes where you write 5 paragraph essays. You're fine.

on a sidenote, why do you amerifags have such retarded uni recrutation systems?
all I needed to get into my uni was a national standarized exam (your score doesn't matter as long as you pass it, passing threshold is 30% which is like 2 SD below average) and then passing entrance exams
that's it, no retarded recommendation letters, meaningless essays, nothing
I literally wouldn't go to uni if I was forced to go through this retarded system that's designed for normies

you sound pretty retarded

>implying i give a fuck about some ameritards opinion
kek
keep living your pointless rat race lying to yourself it has anything to do with academia or science

What? Not him, but here in Europe engineering is 3.5 years, 7 semesters aka 210 credits. 30 credits/semester. Physics and math are 180 credits total.

You literally asked Americans about their University system.
Ignoring your vitriol, Universities prefer the hollistic admission system because they don't have enough room for everyone. Harvard gets 40k applicants but can only accept 1600. About half are academically qualified , but everyone is different personally. Part of the problem is that they want diversity, but also they don't just want smart kids who can study all day, but rather the future leaders of the world. They want people who are personable and charasmatic, etcetera , because they're more likely to be successful. Sure, some loser Asian kids can make 200k a year in CS, but they won't bring in the big bucks like alumni such as future politicians and billionaires , neither of which you can become by just being smart.

>30 credits/semester.
how many credits is one class? that would literally be 7.5 classes per semester in my uni

It's normal to have 7 classes per semester

weird

How is it weird? Over 3 months with 30+ hours a week, surely there's space for 7 classes

If you want to be a functional human being you need to grasp something of humanities, otherwise you will be a retarded robot.

5-8. Usually 7.
Core and important classes sometimes are worth 7-10 credits (rare), lesser classes worth is around 1-2 credits. Normal classes are around 3-5. This is including lecture, labs, practice total.

Fuck, I must be sleepy. Whatever I wrote there is anything, but english.

how are the workloads? I dont go to a shit tier uni and even here taking 6 classes a semester is considered rare/overkill.

There is no way Id have time to study for the type of classes Im in if I had seven of them

You get like 2 full months of exams only so you have time to study then.

Not him, I'm However, around here (Central Europe) it varies by the university.
It can go as tight as 8hours/5 days like a real job and as light as 4 hours/5days on average. Hell, my uni doesn't even have classes on Friday for my degree. Due to that I had days which were tightly packed. I do regularly skip/skipped some lectures.

You have around 6+1 weeks to finish your exams. You can apply to an exam 3 times/semester. Of course only, if you pass the prerequisites (homeworks, lab reports, etc.). Before that you're visiting classes for 14 week.

Idk about how ECTS defines the work required/credit, but my university does separate the work a student has to do into university and home hours per credit.

PS:
Some hardcore places even allow you to take an exam between Christmas and New Years Eve. I believe they disallow tests on Easter now though, but some students had them in the past.

>4 hours/5days on average
I meant 4hours/day for 5days on average, total of 20 hours.

>You get like 2 full months of exams only so you have time to study then.
ahh ok

we have 1 day off from classes (reading day) and then a week of final exams

>4 hours/5days on average
I meant 4hours/day for 5days on average, total of 20 hours.

Oh no I'm so sorry that someone is asking you to become an educated person. People like you should go to a trade school.

What's wrong with trade school? I just want to do physics because it fascinates me, I could care less about the need to appear educated to other people. I'm sure there are people in the liberal arts/humanities/social sciences who feel the same way about their subjects, just less us split off for good and make everyone happy.

>What's wrong with trade school? I just want to do physics

I doubt you will learn any physics in trade school, but I may be wrong

still physics is not good for making money. The money men require people to run and maintain their equipment, not to build it - it has all already been built. In fact, too much knowledge and you will become a threat to their bottom line and end up being ended

Well americucks are brainlets so that makes sense

Well, it's because there are no good trade schools for learning physics that I'm not in one. If there was, I wouldn't mind it. I'm not too particular about making money since in the worst case scenario I can just go to finance or programming anyways.

I agree about trade schools. But Jesus, I just cannot fathom these people who can't be bothered to spend any amount of time thinking about anything other than their field of choice. That's a fucking miserable existence.

>not taking a foreign language or a fine arts class
being bilingual and knowing how to draw pretty pictures is useful as fuck in STEM. you take that essjaydub shit because you registered late or go to a shit college. there are plenty of liberal arts classes that are worth it if you put a bit of thought into your own education.

kek liberal studies can be fun and always helped my gpa

>you have 6+1 weeks to finish your exams
So you can choose to take an exam anytime in a 7 week time period?
>you can apply to an exam 3 times/semester
So you can take the same exam 3 times? If so, do they just take the highest score or average them or something?

Everyone told me life and school would he more interesting after highschool and that I'd get to learn whatever I wanted. I ended up dropping out after 2 years because of the inanely fucking forced retarded classes I had to take as part of my degree. Completely uninteresting, completely unrelated courses that I couldn't help but fail cause I never could give enough shit.

School never changes.

yes, now I can say 中午好 to all my chinese colleagues and they think I'm smart

If it's a field of any worth all you would get is a shallow, wikipedia level understanding. If you want to do it then you can do it in your freetime, it's silly to make it mandatory.