Recent Purchases Thread

Recent Purchases Thread

Post books you've bought or acquired recently. Comment on other anons' choices. Discuss what to get next.

I got these today. How'd I do?

Other urls found in this thread:

dtv.de/autor/h-g-wells-737/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

You did good.

My Granpa gave me The Collapse of the universe by Isaac Asimov, and I bought The Case of Charles Dexter Ward by H.P Lovecraft.
Fortunatly there is a lot of "sebos" (places that sell used books) here in my city, I've found some very good material in there, I've even bought the Penguin's edition of Romeo and Juliet.

Good shit my man

Also real good

Nice. Dont let go of them. Pass them onto your future grandchildren.

Thanks boys

Nice bro

Just finished Nabokov's "Bend Sinister" and enjoyed it so I figured I'd get his autobiography.

Finished all except opium-eater

I'm new to literature and every time I post my purchases I get roasted, so go ahead Veeky Forums

the first half of notes made me cry wby

Haven't gotten to Notes yet, I'm looking forward to it though. Did you enjoy it? How does it compare to other Dostoevsky texts?

I was going to read Crime and Punishment, followed by Brothers K but was recommended to read Notes first if I could, so I am following that advice.

It's the only thing I've read by him sorry can't help you

i've just bought divine comedy, i'm planning on buying something written by Dan Brown

don't

I liked Notes a fair amount but you can definitely see how it's a less mature Dosto once you read his other works. I do love it and Dosto's earlier works, they have a certain charm about them.

Fantastic books, my friend.

Also, nice reading order you planned there. I started with Notes too and recommend that it be that way since it's an easier read than Dosto's big works (even though it's by no means frivolous or light). I deviated a little because I chose Brothers K before C&P, which I regret a little. If had done that I'd finished the book by now, instead of laboring to keep interested on BK, which I totally lost steam for once it focused on Dmitri (a character I don't like at all).

I just purchased the unabridged version of The Count of Monte Cristo. I picked up Carmilla as well.

Rate

Count of Monte Cristo is a really fun read, good choice lad.

>Trevor Noah.

Explain that bottom book right now

> tfw my noob ass was recently rused into paying $5 for a used Dover Crime and Punishment

Value Village?

One thing I will say about these threads is that even though they are the BookTuber equivalent of a BOOKHAUUUUULL at least we have the sense to buy used from time to time.

Yeah
>time to time

I'm a fiend. I scour 4 thrift stores a week to buy used books. I've bought over 20 books this month alone so far.

Very excited about the biographical history of philosophy.

Augustinus - Confessions
Camus - Novels and Novellas
Weöres - Eleven symphonies
Caesar - The civil war

r8?

And I got this collection of poems for free when I went to a barber's.

I've read both of the collections ages ago but I got this since I was given a 14 euro coupon for a bookstore and ended up being in a hurry to spend it.

I think short story collections are some of the best things to own copies of anyway. Sometimes its just nice to grab a collection and pick a semi-random story to re-read.

My recent punches

*purchases

Lel

R$12, something like $4.

Good books, meu camarada. Specially liked those behind the stack.
Have you posted your bookshelf here or at 55? I'd enjoy seeing your collection.

Very nice! Did you get a good price on those?

Yeah i need to get on that soon

Lovecraft - Call of Cthulu and other stories
Frisch - Homo faber
Vonnegut - Slaughterhouse 5
Irving - Sleepy Hollow and other stories
Wells - The Invisible Man

Oh and they were 23€ for all of them

don't you think you're a bit of a faggot?

I need healing

Currently reading Notes from the Underground before Rules for Radicals

ITT: i haven't read these and probably won't, so it'd be a waste to buy these if I didn't show them to strangers on-line

sour puss

I call it like it is. You all should spend less time taking photos of your books and more time showing how you have benefited by reading them.

But that might be too much to ask, as it would mean you'd have to read them.

But yet you're here whining about someone else's purchases instead of reading too.

Whats you're excuse for shitposting all day?

I read over 550 pages already today. And you?

All day? That's some heightened projection, right there.

Sage because you both and this whole thread are pathetic as fuck.

Confessions is an amazing book, Penguin is shit though. Oxford World Classics are cheaper and better quality.

Hey nice score with the world's great thinkers set, I found my set awhile ago.

>that holy-er-than-thou attitude

Confirmed pseud

So you don't like recent buy/stack/bookshelf threads? Big fucking shit, compadre. Those will continue with or without you.

You bought all of those recently or simply mistook the kind of thread?

pretty much everything but the bible

What is that bulky and beat penguin on the left (and how much was it)?

you need to get laid, user

Please anons, post your newest acquisitions. I need this to drink to.

What ails you?

Lol, like just at random? How did he know you speak Japanese??

You couldn't get cuter editions?
Still, these are some good books.

When I'm done rereading The Immoralist, I'll have read all these.

>Going to the used bookstore tomorrow, what should I get next?

I'm going to look for Kafka's The Castle & Nietzsche's Antichrist.

(Ugly stained book is Faulkner's The Bear, btw.)

Don't bother with the Kaufmann commentary. He's great at translating and he was crucial in rehabilitating Nietzsche for an Anglo-American audience but his interpretation is quite bad. So too for any commentator that makes Nietzsche's philosophy's into a metaphysics or a system.

The main criticism I've heard of Kaufmann is that he makes Nietzsche too soft, that in separating him from the Nazis, he also shied away from the more extreme sides of Nietzsche that were actually there. Care to expand on his faults?
I liked his book "Nietzsche."

Problem is, I can't read German, so I'm at the mercy of a translator no matter what. As best I can tell, K.'s translations are the most rigorous :(

The Master & Margarita is really fun. I hope you enjoy it, user.

did you like SOADD or Grimscribe more? i tended to find the stuff in the latter more engaging but i'm also not as up on my lovecraft as i should be so i missed a lot of the allusions in the first half.

f a g a l e r t

It's completely harmless. I don't know why these threads draw so many spergs out of the woodwork.

>he doesn't get books for free

Am I going crazy or the Faulkner book you mentioned is not there?

>the good Murakami
>De Quincey
my nigga

Is Frisch popular in Germany?

I wouldn't call him popular. But nevertheless he is repeatedly read for example in "gymnasiale Oberstufe" (11th to 13th grade higher education).

Bought these about an hour ago for around £15, looking forward to the Illiad the most.

Do you know the cover art on the Wells? It looks like Geiger, I'm just curious.

lol good job reading faust translated

"Nr. 465, N.Y. City XV" by H.R. Giger.
There are also some other books by Wells available in that edition:
dtv.de/autor/h-g-wells-737/