The absolute madman

the absolute madman

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=t_KXgFpguE0
youtube.com/watch?v=DWMPe3wF9jQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

is that one of those volcano vapes?

what a mad lad

you know, a crunchy old-fashioned yacht-owning billionaire could be running spacex but NOOOOOO it instead had to be a fucking billionaire hat salesman-tunnel boring-twitter shitposting memelord

disgusting.

Instead, he could have fit every single Lunar X Prize contestant into this inaugural Falcon Heavy launch. They are all strapped for cash, with the actual launch being their biggest expense.

And actually lose a bunch of expensive shit in the highly likely RUD?

Still a risk worth taking.

Wasting an entire launch vehicle on publicity stunt like this, especially considering how many would be willing to make use of the "ballast" payload, is essentially a crime against Science.

Cry me a river.

Ok, show me a statement from a single X-price contestant that agrees with you.

Boilerplate payloads are pretty much the norm for a new rocket test, even though i also whish something else could be launched along with it. But a cash-strapped start-up company having spent most of its cash on the probe/lander itself will not be scratching the door at a company who themself say "if it clears the pad we will be thrilled".

Now, if he was launching his car on a current Falcon 9, or a future FH after its been flight tested a bunch of times, then i'd be right behind you in calling it PR and wastefull.

It's a dummy payload. In the process he could blow up every lunar X prize contestant, screwing them over bigtime. It's not uncommon for the first launch of new rocket to use a dummy payload because of liability issues.

can't wait to see it fail at max q and the car is lost

>for Science!

>Wasting an entire launch vehicle

The entire point of SpaceX is to significantly lower launch costs and increase launch rate, so that a single launch is not such a big deal anymore.

That will never happen, it's just marketing.

Space is hard.

>t. hot opinions

I didn't know ULA employees posted here...

No deep reason it cant happen. "Space is hard" is a meaningless statement.

The pinnacle of human spaceflight were the moon landings during the 60's and 70's.

If the small step needed to go further was that simple and easy, the follow up wouldn't have waited half a century for a revolutionary company like SpaceX to figure out how rockets work.

They run an excellent PR campaign, and that's about it.

Apollo was very inefficient, the program was drowned in money to produce the result and then cancelled as economically unsustainable.

It indeed took half a century for someone to realize that economics ought to be central to a successful space program.

>boring-twitter shitposting memelord

And i woulnt have it any other way

meant hat-salesman tunnel-boring twitter-shitposting

the U+2012's were in the wrong place

Those landers aren't even ready, and SpaceX isn't in the business of offering a free product.

"Launch is the biggest expense"

And who in the world is working to bring those prices down?

what is this thing supposed to be?

no shit space is hard, that's why it's fun
doesn't mean it has to be expensive though
go tell your bosses to start launching rockets, I've been waiting for fucking years now and I'm getting bored

This is what Elon imagines.
youtube.com/watch?v=t_KXgFpguE0

SpaceX is conducting the inaugural launch of their Falcon Heavy rocket. There's no payload, it's just a rocket test, so they're putting a stunt payload on it of Elon's car, which they'll send into space.

>shitposting on twitter is only acceptable when trump does it

fuck, that payload fairing is huge

satellites are big

I'm sure every single Lunar X Prize contestant would be thrilled to do a Mars flyby and then starve to death as they orbit the sun for a billion years

You dumb cunt

What trajectory will it be on? Mars orbit or leaving the solar system

a precessing Earth-Mars elliptical orbit around the sun

>primary mode of transportation to escape the atmosphere is still strapping a big tube of highly flammable gasses to shit
>primary mode of transportation on the ground is strapping a frame around a semi controlled explosion
We are still a fucking meme.

Fear not, we are getting there.

Unless we can use memes as a driving force then not with that thing

Umm actually em drive works,

We don't know how. But it works.

EM drive has only proven that we have made measuring devices wrong

>a crime against Science

This isn't science anymore. It is engineering. It's been engineering for a very long time now.

>REEEEEE, stop measuring thrust!

>run test
>mount EMdrive in x-plane
>readings of thrust in x-plane

>mount EMdrive in y-plane
>still getting readings of thrust in x-plane

Hell, i want it to be a real thing, but at this point? nah

Hopefully someone puts it on a probe and tests the living hell out of it somewhere in deep space

>Wasting an entire launch vehicle on publicity stunt like this
It's not wasted, he wouldn't have launched an actual payload anyway, because it's a fucking test.
>a crime against science
There are exactly 0 people out there with anything worth launching who just can't get the funding. Sending some shitty probe to the moon's surface that can travel 500 meters and transmit high definition video of fucking rocks won't better our understanding of science to any measurable degree.

>you can save money by not crashing your car at the end of every journey
>you can't save money by doing the same thing with a rocket

>making a rocket capable of autonomous landing was possible with 80's computer technology
kill yourself

>the joke

>your head

NEXT MONTH

sadly that thing does not work
it is fucking terrible considering it would have made life so much fucking easier

Literally this.

youtube.com/watch?v=DWMPe3wF9jQ

That's a lot earlier than I expected.

I hope it doesn't blow up. Those are fun to watch, and I'm sure SpaceX learns valuable data, but for the first launch of the Heavy that'd be kind of a bummer.

sick fuking marketing move

>tfw
Elon Musk is the one of eaths elite to know that meteorite is going our way
and he wants to make us happy before it hits athmosphere

which one?
or is it one of the three quarters we haven't found yet?

its name is
Oumuamua 2

O2

its one of the signs

>Space is hard
So was flying.

My body is ready

Airflight will forever be limited to the eccentrics, adventurers, and extremely rich.

>we still don´t know how to use gravity
>we only know how to take energy out of nature by spinning a turbine with water or heated water
>every device we build heats up the planet
>birth rates brake down in every western country
>internet satellites can´t be healthy for brain development but still will come
>people rather want to make a app instead of working on affordable and progressive private planes
>we pollute our air so much you can´t breathe the air in a winter night because all the shit stays in the city air and drops down with the temperatue
>there is no way that plane/space enthusiasts could work on projects together because we don´t have the money/organization to do such things and narcism ruined our societies for cooperate interests like air lines own the sky
feels bad man

Isn't it reusable? How is it a waste

>elon musk will make Battletoads real

That's because not many people really give a shit about flying. Even less give a shit about going into space.

Holy shit

That gif was the avatar of a long deceased friend of mine on a weed forum, havent seen it in a decade. Made me smile

What the fuck is this? Are they sending a race car to space? Space car?

Test payload for the Falcon Heavy. They have to put some kind of payload/ballast, so they chose Elon's old Tesla for shits and giggles

Also the follow-up took half a century because the Russians never bothered to put anything new into service after 1965 and the Americans wasted decades and trillions of dollars down the Space Shuttle dumpster fire when it should have been scrapped by the time Challenger happened

The first successful Saturn V launch was carrying a pile of sheet metal and PVC pipe meant to approximate the size and weight of the lunar lander

I really hope it doesn't explode; the idea of a fucking car orbiting around the Sun for a geological age really tickles my fancy.

If the claims are true then yeah sure it works, but it's still essentially useless since you need a nigtrillion Watts to actuallly produce any useful thrust.

Alternatively, maybe we just produced the worst possible functional drive and they can be made much more efficient.
It's all up in the air until we can get some concrete information on how the fuck it (appears to) work.

That's fucking stupid, there's nobody even there to hear the song

So? It's for a bit