>reading for
>reading
>

>make pleb lists

Use ereaders or mac pads

Pleb

>reading for plot

>reads on an ereader/ipad
>you look at their screen and they're just shitposting on Veeky Forums or browsing facebook most of the time
E-readers truly are for plebs

Reading books

Limiting the amount of books they want to read because they are too much of a special snowflake to read translations.

An objectively pseud practice is reading "for the prose." Most of you couldn't even describe what that means to you.

>taking fiction/theory as fact

Reading my diary

seeHow many fucking languages am I supposed to know?

>translations

So you'd learn a language just to read one fucking book? I don't believe this for a moment.

Just Russian

It's a meme and only a few autistics on here actually read mkre than a couple
Languages

Pleb

>posts on Veeky Forums

At least three languages, like any self-respecting and cultured gentleman knows. Americans are truly fucking retarded when it comes to languages.

Start learning the most important one (the one with the best/most resources you would like to read).

In my experience, it takes 2 or 3 years of daily (smart) use to reach complete fluency. But after the first year or so you should already be able to read with the help of a vocabulary and occasional googling some weird expression.

So I study one language until it starts taking care of itself and then start another one. Every new one is a bit easier because I already know what to do and what to expect.

What's wrong with reading for ideas?

All of them retard.

>browsing Facebook on an ereader
how.jpg

yeah three is good.

>death of the author

three is minimum... the correct answer is 5

>only five
Fucking brainlets.

Isn't the whole point of reading to see profound narratives, characters, ideas?

What does "reading for ideas" mean?

>having images like that saved

>trying to be reasonable in a blatant troll thread

absolutely nothing. If you listen to the retards on this board, reading for ideas, narrative, prose, characters, or plot all make you a pleb.

Reading makes you a pleb desu

Reading for plot makes you a pleb if the narrative is not deep.

Reading for prose makes you a pleb if the content is not deep.

Reading for ideas makes you a pleb if nothing else about the story is good.

What about reading for plot when it's not deep but it involves /ss/ mixed with incest?

English, german, latin, greek, russian, polish, french, spanish. romanian, japanese, chinese, swedish, norwegian, polish, danish, finnish, hungarian, italian, persian, dutch, and afrikaans are the minimum amount of languages that you are required to learn. Everyone that doesn't know one of these is an absolute pleb.

Thanks

>reading for 'prose'

Good prose must be in service to big ideas, as the ideas must also meld with the prose. Only in a bad work would form and content be so differentiated. Such a work lacks a natural flow or any grand thrust.

Reading for any one of those components makes you a pleb.

The true reader reads for the Gestalt.

It's all about the purpose for which you start learning a language. Since we're on Veeky Forums, I guess 90% of us are interested in knowing a language to read its main books in the original version. That's fair enough and pretty simple to achieve. For example I can fluently read Spanish, but if I had to speak it I'd be totally lost. That's not a problem though, since I don't need to speak to Spanish people irl.

Holup if I'm not supposed to read for the stories and I'm not supposed to read for ideas I should just read for how nice things sound? Because that sounds pleb as fuck.

see

>caring about what other people do

Best post

What about those who read for the rundown?

Reading a book only once then sounding off on it like you've just become an expert on it is just about as pleb as it gets.

still beats what most ppl do which is to say don't read the book at all but still sound off on it based on the wiki

This