Help me remember a word

What is the word for when a castle prepares to be under siege for an extended period of time? Like the mode the castle goes into where they fortify and ration food. I thought there was a specific word for this process. What is it?

this word also means to "fall back" or "retreat" for the longterm

Maybe garrison? That's all I can think of.

Red alert.

No it's not garrison but it is something very similar. I know some castles could be in this "mode" for years at a time, basically spending months without receiving supplies from the outside. Maybe the phrase is just "under siege," but I thought there was a word that meant this.

Part of the meaning of this term is that the castle only relies on the resources inside its walls. Maybe I'm making up a word that doesn't exist, but I feel like I've seen this term or phrase many times in popular writing.

besieged?

The problem with this term is that it implies the castle is under attack, which I don't think is necessary for the castle to be enacting the word in question. For example there may just be armies in the area. The word I'm trying to think of is very similar in meaning to the word "quarantine." Keep everyone in; keep everyone else out; use only the supplies inside the walls.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

After an exhaustive search, I think the word may not exist. I think my brain is trying to summarize these other concepts - besiegement, quarantine, fortification - into a single word.

If there are any other suggestions, please say them. If I somehow come up with the word I'll post it here if the thread's not dead.

I just hope it's not another word lost from our vernacular.

Just make your own word

stockading?

attrition

Babsquatulate.

Sounds like an archaic British words for some very specific weird physical activity.

'entrench' (intrench; 3rd person present)

'Fortify' ->'secure' ->'fasten' ->'fix'

'embed'

'digg in' -->'ensconce'

'consolidate'

'fortification'->'stronghold' ->'encamp'

'bivouac' -"encampment of tents and improvised shelters'

cantonment

station I was stationed there just after the war.
position
post After training she was posted to Brixton.
mount The fuel tank is mounted on the side of the truck.
install They had installed a new phone line in the apartment.
assign Did you choose this country or were you simply assigned here?

are you sure it's english

"türmen" aka "retreating to the tower" fullfilled both in old german

This

just copy a french word like most other military-related english terms

Battery saver.

OP here, I think I found it.

the word is "fasted"

The original meaning of the word was "hold firmly"

Now it has become almost entirely associated with eating. But a long time ago it simply meant "hold fast."

For example, on powerthesaurus.org, the top synonym for the word fasted is "firmed" (i.e. secured, sounded, steadied). And the word fasted is also the top synonym for the word "stabled."

A sentence might be, "We were fasted in the keep for several days."

Please let me know what you think of this word, and thanks for your suggestions.

I think the word is shit and your mother is a dirty whore.

Batten down the hatches, for a similar nautical term?

Thanks for speaking the superior language, frog.

I can confirm that his mother is a dirty whore

I also think it shows the importance of etymology. A word like fasted combines many meanings in it's old-english usage: fortification, stabling, as well as rationing, which is likely where the its modern usage comes from.

Now it's something hipsters do when they're cleansing.