High brow literature

What is actually considered high brow literature? I really can't find anything about it and am pretty sure garbage stuff like I.J. isn't, right?

yeah. desu most of the fun is from learning how wrong you are.

By the general public? Anything that doesn't have wizards, space ships, illuminati or sexy vampires.

>By the general public?
No, thats why I said actually.

the greeks my nigga

Women & Men
The Tunnel
Clarissa

Finish these three and understand at least 50% of them and you can officially count yourself among the enlightened.

Most of the russians. Check out Oblomov by Goncharov, it's about a aristocrat nobleman who stays in his bed for the greater part of the book while pondering about things in his head.

>In the first 50 pages, he manages only to move from his bed to a chair.

hmm

>Clarissa
hard to find this one unabridged (offline)

Finnegan's wake.

MY DIARY DESU

>is it on the curriculum of academic literature programmes?

university literature departments are basically residential, elderly care homes for literature. They're nice care homes, not the type where you sit in your own urine and sip luke warm tea.....but care homes nevertheless.

people are sent to care homes to die.

i'll just continue reading my sci fi
thanks lit

Did you come here to read 'highbrow' literature? Was that the point of this thread? You shouldn't read something just because it is considered intellectual and elitist.

i didnt make the thread, i just checked in to shitpost

I.J. isn't highbrow.

It's stuck between lowbrow and highbrow, and really only appeals to white kids who went from one institution to another their whole lives.

It's "institution lit."

>offline

I think I spotted your problem. Let me guess, the smell of the book edifies the experience?

Good God.

I like the modernists so I'm going to go with the high modernists

bu

mp

Most of the"classics" of the Western Canon are considered high brow

Konrad Bayer, Arno Schmidt, Hans Henny Jahnn, Bruno Schulz, William Faulkner... that's about all I can think of

We could just have bots make and fill these threads instead of making them ourselves

What's IJ?

There's a good and funny book by Paul Fussell called Class that you should read. Oblomov is indeed wonderful, as is Huysman's A Rebours.

Basically if you're worried or confused about class, you're middle class and there is no hope for you.

Pathetic comment