Tfw you empathize with and understand Raskolnikov

>tfw you empathize with and understand Raskolnikov

we'll forgive you in the end

>tfw you're a Razumikhin

>tfw Marmeladov

This thread has all the depth of a really boring puddle.

A waste of space, in fact.

>tfw you're a Svidrigailov

Pyotr Luzhin detected

I kekled

>tfw read the first part of Notes 3 times now and still don't know what the fuck he's talking about

you people said this book is a good starter for getting into literature

Do you mean the introduction or the footnotes? The footnotes are illuminating but skip the intro until after you've read the book. Pseudointellects on Veeky Forums would have you read into every single turn of phrase. It's better to just read through once and enjoy the novel for exactly what it is, and if afterwards you feel the impetus to analyze it more thoroughly you can do so

>tfw you're Chichikov

I mean the whole part 1 of the book where he talks about math and crystal palaces and shit. Is that just an introduction? I don't have to read it?

>tfw I've read notes 3 months ago and remember it being the best book I've ever read
>tfw when I try to remember what it actually said and meant I get literal blanks in my head

I think Veeky Forums fried my brain

Yeah, don't bother with that shit. It's just giving you context, but you don't need to understand the entire history of the Crystal Palace to be able to understand that Raskolnikov is delirious and looking for a drink at a tavern

not the same user but, how can I go for the same thing? i'm writing a short story and basically the main character is delirious because he's hungry, cold and mad at his ex peers and i'd like to know how to potray this

here

What? He literally says it explicitly.

It's all about context, for instance (spoilers from Crime and Punishment ahead):
Raskolnikov's mental state rapidly deteriorates after he murders the old pawnbroker and her sister. He spends a number of days essentially bedridden in his delirium, and even imagines things that aren't there. On the fifth day, he ends up leaving his room and wandering around St. Petersburg, his mind is filled with contradicting thoughts and he wanders to places without even truly realizing where he's going. Additionally, the dialogue he has with others during this period is pretty key to understanding how delirious he is: he says things with a brutal, frenzied honesty which comes off to others as madness.
Basically I would use other, even nameless characters as a contrast and be sure to give the reader an insight into the frenzied thoughts going on in your main character's mind.

KEK

mmh i was wondering about the prose. how to connect a phrase to the other. how to be cryptic but still enjoyable

Read Crime and Punishment yourself, then. I'm not going to spoonfeed you.

Tfw Porfiry

>that entire exchange between Porfiry and Raskolnikov when they first meet
Still gives me chills when I re-read it

>tfw you're Rogozhin

>tfw no qt Sonia gf to trade crucifixes with

>wanting a whore as a gf

Immense suffering, forming and coalescing like voltron.

>tfw ur Ippolit

>Tfw you can't tell if you're Raskolnikov or Meursault.

>people said Mersault reminded them of you
>tfw Mersault at least had a qt loving gf

wtf are you talking about, you haven't read dostoievsky you fucking liar
read it again, then read things aside, then re-read it. Try to understand context (ie era exalting rationalism and science, lost of faith and spirituality)

would you kill an arab?

Yes, but more because I believe islam is a cancer than because the sun was bothering me (though I do also find the sun annoying when it's too bright)

Then maybe read the fucking book and don't be a talentless retard

>but you don't need to understand the entire history of the Crystal Palace to be able to understand that Raskolnikov is delirious
>Raskilnikov
>Notes From the Underground

Ah, well I haven't read that one. But the Crystal Palace is briefly made mention to in Crime and Punishment

>TFW you're Smerdyakov.

tfw you're Chatov

>tfw holden caufield and george costanza but so bad with women i've never held a conversation with one before that wasn't a relative

>tfw you empathize with and understand Ippolit

From which terminal illness are you suffering, user?

>tfw alyosha

>tfw you are oblomov

>tfw you are raskolnikov and you can't decide if you want to be razumihin or svodrigailov

I'm one chapter in and I can already see how his narcissism matches my own. Wut do?

Realise Dostoevsky is wrong and your pride is a noble and natural property

This desu

>you will never be as pure and good-hearted as alyosha