So was Yozo a sociopath or what?

So was Yozo a sociopath or what?

Yeah, something like that

No, he was just inadequately socialized.

This novel only really makes sense in the context of japanese society.

It's radical in Japanese lit because it demonstrates what it is like to be outside of Japanese social conventions, to be unable to inhabit the living for others, pulling your own, the whole Japanese ethos, while also creating a character who just sort of ... ends up there. It isn't the result of choice. He's not even flaunting the norms, being a womanizer or whatever. He slips out of humanity.

The point isn't what causes him to do that. It's that nothing seems to. In the west this isn't really that unusual because we're used to having fuckups, heretics, etc.

It's also interesting because he doesn't really find anything in his nothingness. Emptiness is supposed to yield to enlightenment in the japanese religious tradition. He's just ... empty. A hole.

I need to read this. It sounds great.

It was kind of boring, but I read it as someone who has no background in Japanese culture, so it was an uninformed reading.

he was autistic even by japanese standards

I had two week drunken bender in Tokyo a few years ago. I learned that hookers are semi legal or something and that Japanese woman are actually not flat like people say (I went to a water park so don't say I was decieved by push up bras). Also only gangsters have tattoos. It was interesting though, so maybe the book will illuminate me on the other qualities of the noble ant-people I met.

Where did you go, senpai? Teach me your ways.

it's just some autistic kid getting addicted to things and trying to commit suicide every other day until his [spoilers]parents put him in a 'tard home[/spoiler]

fuck I screwed those tags up

Cluster C personality disorder. Google it,fits perfectly.

Thanks for that user ;___;

meh, you would've looked anyway

You are correct

Is this character like a meursault type?
Im probably picking this book up tomorrow

not really, they're fairly dissimilar characters

The formative event was the maids checking out his baby penis

I don't know. I stayed in a nice hostel called the juyoh hotel but by day I just go drunk and hopped on the train randomly. I passed out on the streets on both weekends like the salarymen did. It was quite a time, i highly recommend it.

Plebians again, I swear.

This book, is just one comment on the industrialization of Japan.

Shitheads.. world full of people who do not understand even the simplest things.. What has brought everything to this situation..

I also wouldn't recommend reading it. It.s basically just a dry, rambling suicide. There's no interesting parts to look back or ponder on; just a depressing book written by a guy with a terrible life.

I'd highly recommend pic related for a more accurate depiction of how traditional Japanese culture and customs can be suffocating and strange from the perspective of someone who is an outside but has not entirely been cast out of out of said society.

>This book, is just one comment on the industrialization of Japan.

Explain