Triboelectric Nanogenerators! Energy Crisis Solved!

Why is no one talking about this?
nanoscience.gatech.edu/paper/2015/15_NE_13.pdf

"In the last several years, a new type of energy harvesting technology named as triboelectric nanogenerator (TENG) has emerged to harness ambient mechanical motions. The TENG has a novel and unique mechanism by using the coupling between triboelectric effect and electrostatic induction.It features unparalleled advantages over other developed existing technologies, including high power density, light weight, small size, low cost, flexibility and even transparency. Since its first report in 2012, it has evolved very rapidly and attracted extensive research interests on a global scale."

This is the future of energy!
Self-powered devices from the natural motions of the world generating power via static electricity!

Why is this not getting more attention? Especially on Veeky Forums.

Other urls found in this thread:

pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/acsnano.5b00618?src=recsys&journalCode=ancac3
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechanically_powered_flashlight
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You can't even power a flashlight for more than a few minutes with this, it's a toy.

>Some power is worse than no power.
It's a step in the right direction, what are you implying?

in what right direction? it's a method designed for wearables and micro devises, not for large scale applications
what energy crisis are you even taking about? oil prices have to be fixed by cartels so that they don't drop due to oversupply

>more than a few minutes
sound is constant

Ultimately, the source of our energy is going to come from a combination of multiple renewables, and this is another addition to the list. This technology is still in its infancy, and uses the concepts of static electricity, which can literally be generated with the most minute of motions. Given proper scale up and refinement, we are poised to harvest electricity from the smallest motions of the environment: Wind, sound, earth vibrations, human motion, car motion, building motion. You name it. Reducing or virtually eliminating the cost of energy and having an abundance of it means that it is one less barrier to achieve other goals, such as having electric vehicles, constant sources of power for hospitals or rural areas, and even possibly long term power solution for moon bases and the like. You either cannot fathom the inner workings of this technology or you simply do not understand its implications.

jesus you sound like you came straight from reddit, stop fantasizing about popsci for fucks sake
even if i were to agree on what you said there's a big fucking way from "This technology is still in its infancy" to "Energy Crisis Solved" (again, which crisis?)

What are your credentials?

I actually work with this. We fundamentally don't know what makes triboelectrification work, and the technology will essentially be a gimmick until we understand the mechanisms behind substrate charge transfer. The phenomena has far more useful and immediate applications though, using it as a source for reliable energy is highly unlikely.

The quintessential reddit response. For all you know I'm a top chad doctor fucking ur mum, or a weeb.

>iPhone battery holds a charge of 1,440 mAh, or about 5.45 watt hours. If you fully drained and recharged your phone everyday, then over the course of a year you would have to feed it about 2,000 watt hours, or 2kWh.

5.45Wh isn't much really.

>phenomena has far more useful and immediate applications

Kind of like how I use the excess heat from my PC to warm hotdog buns.

LOL if you are constantly trying to power the flashlight it will never turn on since the the generator is so weak. The only way to use it to power a flashlight is to let it build charge for a while.

You dense motherfucker of course you'll need an array of them and it will take time to get small enough for that.

You can use the process to generate significant amounts of radiation. My research is focused on using this identical process to generate x-rays using cheap polymers, and applying it to medical imaging and materials analysis.

Think it's also worth noting that the x-ray generation from very thin PTFE substrates is significant, have recorded bursts of 200KeV. This is equal to the output of large x-rays tubes. Can maintain continuous burst cycles for more than 10 hours at 80KeV, which is is still far greater than your average x-ray tube you may find in XRF's or your hospital CT scanner. Some pretty cool stuff.

Then how the fuck is "hurr durr sound is constant" a response? Fact is, they are too weak to power a flashlight you moron.

Sounds very intriguing. Hoping to learn more. Thanks for the contribution.

If you have a large enough combination of them the flashlight will be powered continuously. Quit thinking so small dipshit.

Do you even read any articles or are you just arguing your opinion, because that isn't scientific and you are literally talking shit out of your ass.
pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/acsnano.5b00618?src=recsys&journalCode=ancac3

If you have a large enough combination of them you no longer have a flashlight, you dense autist.

You are a literal retarded person or are being purposely thick headed.

What does this have to do with what you're responding to? Fuck off.

No, that's you, since you either can't or won't comprehend what is obviously meant by

>No, that's you,
lol now I know why it feels like I'm talking to a child.

I already know I'm talking to a child, not feel like I know.

>radiation
Finally, man portable ray guns. Keep at it user, you'll revolutionize the way we kill each other.

however imagine this: a fleshflashlight
the flashlight is powered from fucking it from the triboelectic. if u fuck REALLLy hard you can power it

Why is no one talking about this?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechanically_powered_flashlight

"In the last several years, a new type of energy harvesting technology named as Manual Orbit Vigorous Electrons (MOVE) has emerged to harness ambient mechanical motions. The MOVE has a novel and unique mechanism by using the coupling between magnets effect and induction.It features unparalleled advantages over other developed existing technologies, including high power density, light weight, small size, low cost, flexibility and even transparency. Since its first report in 2012, it has evolved very rapidly and attracted extensive research interests on a global scale."

This is the future of energy!
Self-powered devices from the natural motions of the world generating power via static electricity!

Why is this not getting more attention? Especially on Veeky Forums.

>Powering a flashlight through traditional magnetic induction and comparing it to static electricity generation which isn't anywhere close to any infrastructure currently existing and in fact was only discovered in 2012.

What's the fucking point of having a "science" board on Veeky Forums if no one here discusses science and only discusses stupid memes?

You can't even power a flashlight for more than a few minutes with this, it's a toy.

>Using wikipedia as a source and not citing original research.
This reveals to me the capacity of your intellectual skills, vastly inferior, what did I expected on a shit board on a shit site. Maybe the true reason you resent reddit is because they are capable of actually being functioning human beings who have the mental capacity of executing a conversation, unlike you, who can offer no coherent or rational counterargument and must instead resort to either memeing, parodying, or simply ignoring the intended message, especially when it comes to something as revolutionary as this. It's okay though, this isn't leddit right? lululululullululululululu

THE SCALE UP OF THIS TECHNOLOGY IN A FUCKING DYNAMO IS HOW OUR CURRENT ENERGY INFRASTRUCTURE WORKS. YOUR EXISTENCE LITERALLY DEFIES PHYSICS AS YOU ARE THE DENSEST MOTHERFUCKER IN THE UNIVERSE, YOU CREATE A BLACK HOLE WHERE REASON FALLS IN BUT NO REASON CAN COME OUT AND ONLY THE RADIATION OF WHAT USED TO BE AN INTELLIGENT BEING IS THE ONLY THING THAT ESCAPES.

Fucking solar panels are just tiny solar cells connected, why can't you have an array of nanogenerators? Are you serious?

This guy gets it.

Not sure if they really really get it or if they really don't get it.

TOO MUCH GETTING IT FOR MY TASTE.

So you think someone is manually shaking a dynamo to make it produce energy? Brainlet.

kek

I made a couple of those, they are pretty neat. I have a 90F supercap so the LED lasts quite a while. Much longer than "a few minutes". The key is to have multiple coils along the tube, not just one so you don't need to shake it as much.

Holy shit are you illiterate? A flashlight is a portable, handheld light.

user you hurt their butts

but my sides, you have lifted them to the heavens

>how fucking retarded do you have to be to believe electromagnetic induction is a good way to generate electricity
>I only use magnetoelectric induction to make my electricity

>he's never seen a portable solar powered flashlight

are you even human? I'll have you know I have had an IQ of 176 since I was 6 and it's probably higher by now. I'm into engineering and really good at it. My next invention is going to be a triboelectric-thorium powered flashlight. Fucking brainlets will never understand.

My first thought was
>If it's bright enough for the solar to work you don't need the flashlight.
Am I a brainlet?

>Am I a brainlet?

See:

Can someone explain to me how tribolelectric devices are better than the shake-and-charge devices?

They don't capture extra energy that you don't physically put in by shaking them. They don't break thermodynamics. Why build expensive nanomaterials when you can just have a magnet in a tube with a coil do the same job?

>They don't break thermodynamics.
Yeah this is one of the fundamental problems of these types of developments. You can only generate as much electrical energy as you harvest from motion less whatever inefficiencies are in the conversion pocess.

solar FREAKIN roadways!!