EGG IN SPACE?

What would happen to an egg in space?

I was having a discussion at work and I assumed the egg would just freeze possibly crack a little once frozen but just become frozen space debris.

Or alternatively just explode because of the vacuum?

My colleague seemed to think it would be cooked by radiation from the suns rays because its not protected by our atmosphere. Which I think is stupid but maybe it can be frozen and still cooked by radiation? Assuming its shell can contain the contents.

pls no bully

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=odiCKmM0WWE
youtube.com/watch?v=o8TssbmY-GM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

immediately explode due to the presure difference.

yeah but an egg shell is pretty tough no? How strong does something need to be to withstand the pressure difference? How strong is an egg shell?

What's the pressure inside an egg? 1atm?

This has to be a troll

No just a brainlet.

I mean not everything just explodes because its in space. The ISS seems to hold itself together just fine.

>pls no bully

Yea but the ISS isn't made of an eggshell

it could be if it was shaped like an eggshell

yeah but whats the breaking point?

Where is the middle point between staying together and exploding?

I understand that its bad for people to be exposed because we have lots of orifices and tiny little holes like sweat glands and capillaries are quite weak. We're porous.

But egg shells are quite strong structurally and are airtight.

egg shells withstand pressure from outside, not inside

>airtight
no

An eggshell has pores as well that allow air to get through, allowing the embryo inside to breath so it would be at risk just like a human
Calcium carbonate (eggshells and chalk) isn't the toughest material

There's not a lot of outward pressure though. Aside from a tiny little pocket of air on the fat end, there's not a lot of gas inside the egg that would expand, and the shell of the egg is porous enough to outgas.
It would probably just hard boil in the low pressure.

hmmm.. ok.

youtube.com/watch?v=odiCKmM0WWE

it will explode

the inner liquid would seep out from the porous shell and enter it's gravitation field, if it hasn't solidified
the shell may tear apart and crack but it will not make a sound and will not "explode" in the typical sense

youtube.com/watch?v=o8TssbmY-GM

>the inner liquid would seep out from the porous shell and enter it's gravitation field, if it hasn't solidified

This only applies in a pressurized capsule, in space there is nothing(besides it's extremely weak gravity) keeping the water close to the egg.

It would freeze.

it would freeze but with no other relative forces wouldn't the extremely weak gravity of itself maintain the shell's integrity? it wouldn't explode.

Actual photo of broken egg in space

This

101325Pa differance

>how do you want your eggs sir?
>triple point please!
looks delicious

I have a dumb question too, so I'll put in this already dumb thread.

What would happen if you put water in space? Would it freeze? Why? What would take its heat?
Would it explode? (??) Fill the entirety of space? (????)
Help me clear my misconceptions about space.