Why are mechanical pencils not allowed on the GRE?

Why are mechanical pencils not allowed on the GRE?

Because you can hide drugs inside them.

Like all rules of testing centers, there is no reason

I got yelled at at my uni for picking up the test and holding it up to read the small print better. The proctor told me it has to stay on the table for reasons.

Because the people who run things are autistic math majors. Any engineer knows a mech pencil is superior to an antiquated wood pencil. Also things like pic related are fucking sexy.

>t.needs to comb the scary parts of the internet to find things to fap to

german pencil manufacturers are scary parts of the internet?

Because the scanner on bubbles correspond to a certain type of graphite in number 2 pencils. It protects from mongoloids somehow using the wrong writing medium then getting butt flustered that they got a 0.

I.e this

Don't all mechanical pencils use number 2 graphite for that exact reason.

yes, every mech pencil sold in a regular store is #2. You need to order online or from catalog non-#2 mech pencils for engineering/technical drawings.

The gre is on paper? Wtf why

>2017
>still testing with graphite ceramic rubbings on paper.

So that you can't show your answers to the person behind you?

dont hallucinate when you take it

Because you can't be trusted to make simple decisions if you've already shelled out $150 to take a test that would let you into a program where you make no money for 5-6 years.

t. grad student

They probably don’t want you sticking notes into the pencils

>start dismantling pencil
>immediately get incinerated by anti-cheating turret
good plan lmao

i did in highschool
pencil broke

well here in germany pencils are not alowed in any kinds of testings or exams
because muh document authenticity

someone could erase you answer and change it afterwards.

The GRE is a computer based test. You can't bring anything in with you because its the only way the test admins can prevent cheating. I couldn't remember the pythagorean thm and hence I failed because i couldn't hide the formula in a mechanical pencil. I still got into a top 20 cs program desu

Weak bait

You could also try to pull shenanigans by writing multiple different anwers and erasing the wrong answers afterwards

Provided explanation for ban on mechanical pencils and backed up with personal anecdote, not bait lad

>the best mech pencils are ALWAYS German or Japanese
This eternal broship is eternal.