Things only Anglos believe

Can we have a thread about things only Anglos believe?

Each poster must mention at least three things, all of which must have something to do with literature.

I start:

1. Sylvia Plath was a good poet;
2. Sylvia Plath was a poet;
3. Thomas Pynchon is one of the greatest novelists of all time;
4. Maya Angelou knew how to write;
5. Nabokov is not much worse than at least half the authors he despised.

Sylvia Plath was a good poet though

Why are the animals so willing to get close to him?

That's Konrad Lorenz, master of many animals.

I conced that she had her moments. Her fame is certainly not justified, however. She's a little bit above average at best. There are much better poets who are virtually not talked about, such as the great Edward Taylor. Who even reads Edward Taylor?

Is this a troll thread?

his neck is made of bread.

Not an anglophone and I only agree with five, but:
1 - Shakespeare is the greatest author of all time
2 - Utilitarianism
3 - Liberalism
4 - Mark Twain and Dickens are good

No. Are you an Anglo?

I find it bizarre how much the Anglo view of world literature is distorted. They seriously believe they are as good as they think they are. The only contemporary (post-1967) Anglophone poet that I know who is better than Alberto da Cunha Melo is Anthony Hecht. And yet, who has ever heard of Alberto da Cunha Melo? Nobody. And yet Seamus Heaney (a great one, indeed), Geoffrey Hill (also great), Anne Carson (good?), Bob Dylan (terrible, unacceptable), and John Ashbery (boring) are treated almost like gods!

>Why are these people famous and not these people???
If this isn't a troll thread then it is just a retarded one. And no I am not Anglo.

I have read both Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn, and I do not understand how he is considered so good. The stories are nothing but simple children stuff, and the writing is entertaining, but it lacks force. The books are too horizontal: he is never able to taste the real flesh of human experience, but is content to just navigate on the surface. My country has produced at least a few undeniably better writers who are virtually unknown.

The anglo is like this with everything.

They've been ripping of continental Europe for centuries and rebranding it. ie. Isaac Newtown was a loon mostly, copied Liebniz and was backed in this by Royal Society - nation level cronyism. Bertrand Russell is the most evil human of last century.. there's ton of shit about the Anglo that comes with a minimum of research. disgusting culture/peoples

I don't know how Shakespeare happened there, it's a miracle.. maybe because he was catholic

I get the same feeling with a lot of their cannon. To think there's people who put F. Scott Fitzgerald on the same level as Joyce and Proust is almost insane to me.

Why do you say Russell is the most evil human of the last century?

I am interest in this. I disagree with him is the majority of his views. Did he do any dark stuff politically? I mostly see him praised as a champion of 'freethought'.

He was white

Americans aren't anglo so these assumptions all fall flat

Plenty of continentals believe in liberalism, but you're right about utilitarianism. Mankind does not strive for pleasure. Only the Englishman does that.

they're white when it's convenient as Jews are.

'kill whitey' is instinctually correct but it doesn't apply to the European - it applies to the people who founded and fight for control over that country - the English and the Jews

Russell is the main architect of the one world gov (conclusion of English imperalism) ideas

he's the guy that pushed for nuclear development as a pressure on govs giving up their sovereignty

>Mankind does not strive for pleasure. Only the Englishman does that.

That one should go to posterity.

Nietzsche gets the credit for that one.

Lack of Anglo bashing on this board shoes how low tier it really is

>see this thread
>get excited over banter and maymays
>it's an autistic poltardian teenager desperately trying to bait/be funny
Try Veeky Forums, they're mostly on your general development level.

1. Marlowe's Faust is (in any way) better than Goethe's
2. America is capable of giving birth to something great and has done so several times since Melville
3. English has the best secondary literature even for works that are not originally written in English

>But bad times, you may say, are exceptional, and can be dealt with by exceptional methods. This has been more or less true during the honeymoon period of industrialism, but it will not remain true unless the increase of population can be enormously diminished. At present the population of the world is increasing at about 58,000 per diem. War, so far, has had no very great effect on this increase, which continued through each of the world wars. ... War ... has hitherto been disappointing in this respect ... but perhaps bacteriological war may prove more effective. If a Black Death could spread throughout the world once in every generation, survivors could procreate freely without making the world too full. ... The state of affairs might be somewhat unpleasant, but what of it? Really high-minded people are indifferent to happiness, especially other people's.

>reality is a social construction

oh wait this isn't a things kikes believe thread

I think it's more telling of how unintelligent /int/ satellites can be.

2 Is proof that sometimes even Anglos can be right.

1 is so true.

1. No need to know continental philosophy to do philosophy.
2. No need to study history of philosophy to do philosophy.
3. Philosophy is witty problem solving, possibly while smoking a pipe.

These are my problem with anglos after two years of studying philosophy abroad.
I personally don't like continental philosophy, but these guys are ignorant as fuck.

Those are just American college student opinions.

im only going to take the bait insofar as I am replying to say that you should drown

waaa you're correct

>t. englishpig

Anglo = master (disdain for lowly Continentals)
Continental = slave (resentment against superior, succesful Anglo and his values)

>using continental philosophy to criticise continental philosophy

Nice

1 is false an everyone agrees

1 - English is a good language for poetry
2 - Postmodernism is still alive in 2017
3 - England has a great literature

Tolstoy thought Dickens was good.

Nietzsche thought onion soup was good. So what?

That Dickens being good isn't a belief exclusively held by Anglos.

ANGLO'D

So what? He also thought Dosto was good and he was shit. Maybe he was wrong.

But he's a not an Anglo and he believed it. Wasn't that the point of this thread...

I wish French could be our lingua franca so much.

in regards 2 point numero uno: the only theoretical languages that r better 4 poetry r logographic 1s a la japanese/chinese kanji and/or code

other contentions r awn da monee doe

Are you diagnosed with autism?

Which writers?

What did Descartes do?

America isn't Anglo, though.