Recommended reading for an 18 year old?

I've been trying to read more this year but I'm always having trouble finding books I'm genuinely interested in.
What are some books that you think everyone my age should read or books you wish you had read at my age.
Thanks.

Camus
The Stranger
The Plague

Thanks, I've read the Stranger which I liked a lot and plan on reading more by Camus. I'll try The Plague next.

Demian by Hermann Hesse

The Bible.

I don't care how fedora.com you are, read it and you'll be happy in the long run.

It is beautifully written
Full of history
Full of badass fight and plagues
Will open doors for the many references to it by the great authors
Will provide a good impetus for theology
Instills morals possibly without you directly following its conduct

>It is beautifully written

you never read the bible.

>learned biblical hebrew
>can now appreciate the bible in ways I could have never imagined

I read Siddhartha and liked it. What's that like compared to Siddhartha?

t. another 18 y/o

kill yourself memephagous

Looks very interesting and sounds like something I was looking for, I'll check it out, thanks.

I'm definitely interested in reading the bible but I'm a bit turned off by how it's written and fear that I won't understand much of it. Is there a good modern translation?

*unsheathes katana*

Nothing like Sidddhartha. Demian is about two boys, one of whom teaches the other to accept himself without so much judgmentalness - less morality, less fear of his dark side.

Another 18 year old here, I'd recommend Eco. Not only is he patrician, he's also straight up fun to read (which tbqh can be rare amongst the best books)

oxford annotated NRSV with apocrypha

Dhammapada

Rereading the Bible for the first time as an adult atm. I think my biggest takeaway this time is just how petty and human most of the characters are, I love it. It's a whole lot of lying, cheating, and stealing and then a genuinely good guy like Enoch gets about two lines and then we're right back to the juicy stuff.

You're an adult now, it's time to start engaging with the N-god.

When I was your age I fell in love with Tim O'Brien and The Things They Carried. Give him a try?

I'm reading The Plague now, as a 21-year-old. The Fall is also a really great book, if you're into Camus.

A Rebours, The Illuminatus Trilogy, Tristram Shandy, Revolt Against the Modern World, The Technological Society, The Magical Revival, Oblomov, The Master and Margarita, Don Quixote

Those should prepare you well to be a fully realized adult /b/tard dark magus like me. Something all youngsters should aspire to.

I'm 18 and here are the things I have read or want to read this year:

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand
>read 1/4
Jane Eyre
>read
Stoner by John Williams
>read
Nausea by Jean Paul Sartre
>read
Animal Farm by George Orwell
>read
Lucky Jim by Kingsley Amis
>read first chapter
The Outsider by Albert Camus
>read first 3 chapters
Lord of the Flies by William Golding
>not read
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey
>not read
Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins
>read 1st book and half of 2nd
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy by John le Carre
>not read
A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess
>not read
The Lord of the Rings trilogy + The Hobbit by J.R.R Tolkien
>not read
Harry Potter series by J.K Rowling
>read 1st, 2nd and 3rd book out of 7
Fahrrnheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
>not read
1984 by George Orwell
>not read
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
>not read

I have a lot of reading to do

Depends if you prefer ease of reading or accuracy.

Don't get KJV if you're avoiding difficult language.

Also ignore anyone who tells you read the whole thing cover-to-cover, it's a collection of books written over 100s of years, not a continuous story.

Steppenwolf by Hermann Hesse.

post bp

is there a guide of some sort which outlines the order in which the books should be read and which to be skipped?

get out of this board please

Any depressing, introspective book is good. Even better if it has bildungsroman elements.

I was really into Confessions of a Mask and Hunger when I was 18.

what a meme list

You digging the rand so far?

I put it down because I wasn't really liking it so I'll try it again later on.

There's a million of them, depends what you want to get out of it. What I did was read the narrative sections in chronological order, and came up with this list:

Genesis
Exodus 1-24, 32-40
Numbers 9-36
Deuteronomy 34
Joshua
Judges
1 Samuel
2 Samuel
1 Kings
2 Kings
Daniel 1-6
Ezra
Nehemiah
Luke
Acts

Or if you want an intro to Christianity specifically, the four gospels and Romans would be good. Some other highlights are Ecclestiastes for philosophy, Job for a morality story, and Revelation for a psychadelic trip.

Cover to cover

Unironically this. To top it off most of the stories are actually interesting, and you see some neat archetypes in there.

Oh, and you get to sound smart by referencing the Bible too.

Thank user.

Try his last book, First Man or what it's called

>randt
ugh
>eyre
no, no no...
>hunger games
please don't go any further
>LOTR
BWAHAHAHAHHAHA

Don't read anything else on that list but Huxley you faggot

Water Margin - quick pace, eventful, quirky characters.

Fante did it better