Does this curve apply to math? Can anyone be an "expert"...

Does this curve apply to math? Can anyone be an "expert"? I remember feeling like Albert fucking Einstein when I finished Calculus II and then once I saw how little I actually knew my confidence shot way down. After years of math courses after calc I still haven't regained any of the confidence. When would one start gaining it back?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impostor_syndrome
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10626367/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humour
danluu.com/dunning-kruger/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I have never gotten confidence back either. Nobody is am expert because nobody knows everything there is to know. We're still finding new shit every day.

what's "years of math courses"? if you have done good serious math you should have some confidence and knowledge of what's required to be an expert in some fields.

That's odd... Most people I know who know anything about math feel like fucking Jesus reguardless of their level due to the constant praise by people who don't understand math

currently taking Algebra II and took complex analysis last year. Maybe it's because I don't specialize in anything and try to do a bit of everything

>doesn't know everything about math
t. Brainlet

One of my lecturers would refer to this concept as one of the big lies of mathematics. That a tenured professor can be standing in front of a class and falter mid-proof and forget a piece of the puzzle because frankly math is hard.
This being said I think the answer to question is as you achieve mathematical maturity you gain some confidence because you can start doing math without having your hand held.

t. second year undergrad

Please sit down the adults are trying to speak.

Shouldn't caption on the left read "Know nothing"?

Anyway, the feeling is normal. See en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impostor_syndrome
It's the people who DON'T (consciously) suffer from this who are abnormal and dangerous.
They refuse to believe they aren't super-competent in any field they choose -- even (or especially) when they're actually pathetic.
The less-successful ones can oft be found spouting drivel on boards like Veeky Forums.
Occasionally, one can even fool enough suckers long enough to become POTUS.

no, it's because you have barely started taking the basic courses. you have a long way to go.

>second year undergrad
>adult
jesus christ

>complex analysis
>THEN algebra 2

What the fuck?

not a mathfag but I'd imagine you don't deserve to feel any confidence until you publish something. Doesn't have to be paradigm shifting shit, just anything that advances collective knowledge.

>Be 10
>Know basic geometry and a tiny bit of algebra
>BOW BEFORE ME MORTALS, I AM user, GOD OF MATHEMATICS

>23 now
>Bachelor's in theoretical physics
>Absolutely certain I'm faking it

>No nothing

>He thinks the feeling stops when you publish
You'll just think you made some "legwork" in your paper.

>Shouldn't caption on the left read

you must be fun at parties

Might just be what their school calls Algebra 2 is really abstract algebra or something.

It's always supposed to mean abstract algebra, amerimutt. Includes Galois theory and related stuff most of the time. Teaching middle school material in college under the name algebra is not the norm by any means, only a consequence of your own shitty education system built around the lowest common denominator.

I HATE when people cite dunning-Kruger. The original study they did,
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10626367/
Has nothing to do with skills in any actual subject matter, it was all cognitive tests. Some of which was basic logic, basic grammar, and even 'do you get this joke' humour category stuff.

It was never intended to be used in the way people now use it, to refer to things like skill in algebra. The effect isn't really present.

do you get this joke?

Define "expert"
If by expert you mean master, no. We simply haven't come anywhere near close to understanding STEM fully for that.
If by expert you mean to know and understand all the material we have in a given STEM field during the present, also unfortunately no. That's why PhDs are area specific.
If you mean expert as in being a leader of your field, possibly, but even then it seems as if that breaks a man. See Perelman, since you mentioned mathematics.

just pretend to be lacking in confidence and bring up imposter syndrome

third pounder vs quarter pounder
clearly the latter sounds better

>clearly the latter sounds better
because you've been exposed to it all your life

>quarter
>pounder
>latter
>better
that's why

>Define "expert"
Define "define"
...or maybe use the definition that a billion other speakers of English use:
>a person who has special skill or knowledge in some particular field
Is that so fckn hard?

"No nothing"
what

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humour

me, except just in highschool where i barely began to touch on abstract math in my ~super extra hard math~ course. thought i was literal 4d tesseract einstein brain because i thought it would be interesting to see how the substituted function looks in parallel to the original function when integrating via substitution.

That graph is a lie. Dunning-Kruger is about self perceived ability vs actual ability and the correlation between them is either positive or 0.

danluu.com/dunning-kruger/