What's your favorite Murakami book?

What's your favorite Murakami book?

In the Miso Soup

A Wild Sheep Chase

I've only read four of them so far though

Which one is the best?
Which one should I read?

Forgot to specify, Haruki Murakami

Dance dance dance, south of border westvof sun and colorless tsuku tazaki are my favourites. Cant choose one really.
Have "Men without women" on prorder and hope they will announce "killing commodore" release date, since its already being translated.

Also Norwegian wood is one of his best and easy for those new to Murakami.

Just finished Norwegian Wood. Favorite so far, read 4. 1Q84 creeped me out so I only read the first part.

How to Into Murakami:

1. Read any of the books he wrote

2. You are now finished because the differences between his books are trivial.

3. Reflect that it is interesting that a man could be so interested in wells

I've read nine of the books in that picture, but six of them were The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle. Kafka on the Shore was the other three--I liked that one more.

Sputnik sweetheart somewhat explains the metaphysical worlds prevalent in all of his books. Acts as a pretty good base for his other books

Probably After Dark (in no small part because I was living in Shibuya while reading it), I've only read his short stories and Kafka on the Shore beyond that though.

Made this (half-true) joke to a fellow exchange student once and she completely flipped out.

Honestly, I don't have any 'problem' with Murakami at all, even his repetitiveness, but I do think it's worrisome that an actual Veeky Forums major from Trinity thinks Murakami is 2nd only to Shakespeare.

>Just finished Norwegian Wood. Favorite so far
Good to know, I was thinking of reading it in the future.

Can someone recommend me similar works to that of Murakami? Surreal or not both are fine. I have read enough of Murakami for now.

Italo Calvino, "If on a winter's night a traveller" does have a lot of the surreal romance that you might be looking for, also much more avant-garde.

Thank you. Actually I'm currently reading "Invisible Cities" and after it will probably read your suggestion.

Murakami rips off a lot from Kobo Abe

There's also a lot of great similar stuff from Africa, Olympe Bhely-Quenum and Amos Tutuola are two guys to check out (even though their English is very simple to the point of being annoying)

Finally, Bruno Schulz was absolutely amazing and I am sad that he didn't write more.

Good Murakami = what he wrote up to the mid-90s.

Bad Murakami = everything after.

After Dark encapsulates Murakami's theme of the "meandering protagonist" pretty well, and the fact that there are multiple characters, oblivious to one another, in one general setting, all tapping into the same loneliness of place, is pretty fucking cool.

Paul Auster gives me similar vibes.

The windup bird chronicle. Too bad the English version is abridged, but it's still worth reading

None, I gave Norwegian Wood a try, I can't take him seriously as an author. He's western but not, famous but bad. His premises are too absurd and are simply not made up for by the execution.

How can you say none and then immediately say admit that you haven't even read one?