Why does it make people invisible?

Why does it make people invisible?

Because magic?

It harnesses the natural phenomenon that happens when girls look in OP's direction.

K. Even then the magic should be able to explain it. Why it happens, or why it was made to happen. There will still be some kind of conversation to it

Because they are no longer viable sexual partners, and all people relate to others only by their usefulness.

this

Because the ring is a thing of darkness. It doesn't hide one's shadow

Also how come it didn't make Sauron invisible?

It doesn't make people invisible, only hobbits. It heightens the wearer's natural power. So a hobbit, which is a weak but sneaky creature, turns invisible. But Galadriel would have her power magnified a hundredfold by the ring, to the point where she could 1v1 Sauron himself.

It actually makes him visible. Remember how he was nowhere to be seen in the books?

Cool. Never knew that.

Because Tolkien was making up shit as he writing.

Didn't Aragorn's dad turn invisible when he jumped into the river? He was no Hobbit.

Bump 4 answers

It doesn't. It makes people less visible in the "normal world", but makes them stand out more in the "world" that the Nazgul inhabit.

The entire purpose of the ring, when not being worn by Sauron, is essentially to get itself back to Sauron.

This is pasta

It's (likely) inspired by Ring of Gyges. You'd know this if you had actually read the Greeks.

Actually it was inspired by the downvote-system on reddit but whatever you say... -.-

Have my kids

In my opinion, it's an illusion to moral corruption similar to the story about the Ring of Gyges by Plato.

Fuck me, I can't believe I had to scroll down this far to see the correct answer.

this just blew my mind, how could I have missed the connection before

allusion*

Literally all these posts are wrong, go read what tolkien had to say about this he explains it in one of his letters

his daughter picked the power and he rolled with it

Holy shit this could be fucking true

>Ring of Gyges
First time seeing this, it should be mentioned everywhre

so thats its whole power? how does that bind the others?

Film, not book canon.

Laughed in school cafeteria fuck you user

it binds the other wearers of the other rings of power to him (except for the elven ones, since he never got them)

The other wearers of the rings of power also has dominion over their people. So Sauron or anyone else with a strong enough will to dominate could use the ring to rule those people.

Why is this thread still alive? This is the only correct answer

it moves you to the world of spirits. this has been discussed before.

>muh Plato

I remember in the rankin bass cartoon, and i think the book (its been a while) that it promises Sam he will be a great warrior, and allows him to battle his way to save Frodo after the spider attack.

I liked that

>thinking that you can avoid discussing Plato when debating western literature/philosophy

Plato was just a meme smith.

Pleb. Keep enjoying watching the shadows dancing on the cave wall

There you go with one of his memes.

then what the fuck happened when Tom bombadill put it on

he probably did another one of his jigs, sang a song, and fucked off

Underrated

Isildur is about 2000 years too old to be Aragorn's dad, but otherwise yes. Traveling north after kicking Sauron's ass, his entourage is attacked by orcs and wrecked. Isildur escapes by putting on the ring and turning invisible, and tries to swim over the river. But he has an elven jewel on his brow, the shine of which can't be hidden by the Ring, so the orc archers see him and he gets shot.

tl;dr yes, the Ring turns also humans invisible.

>But he has an elven jewel on his brow, the shine of which can't be hidden by the Ring
You went full pleb right there, user. That ain't what happened. Why you lie?

Can we agree once and for all that Sauron was right?

Fucking Tom, losing the enemy's weapon

>it's based on the ring of Gyges

Because heroic fantasy is shit.

>just

That's actually one of the most interesting parts about LOTR and pretty powerful insurance for Sauron. Gandalf refused to even hold the ring because, being a Maia, he does posess great power, and, knowing what the ring was capable of, was terrified of becoming corrupted and joining the forces of Sauron. Hell, even his hidden motive for killing Smaug was that he feared what would happen should Sauron ever take control. The effects that the ring has on powerful beings essentially meant that the only sort of individual who could carry the ring for years to Mordor without feeling the more dramatic effects of it would absolutely have to be someone who was otherwise small and weak and of no great significance (aka a hobbit)

The fact that the only creature that could destroy the ring would have to be someone who inherently had in incredibly small chance of victory (even given the already low chances of victory) is a really interesting angle.

Tom is probably lowkey a super high level Maiar

The Maiar / Valar don't have a predetermined shape, they can literally look however the fuck they want, Sauron changes his appearance multiple times in the thousands of years leading up to LOTR, he probably looked something like that when he was learning to forge though

so you, the reader, can't see what he's up to

Ole tom "van zant" mah niggah bombadill.

The level of pseud in this thread is incredible. How a person learns the word Maiar without seeming to ever have read the books at all is an essay on pretense and shallow thought.

That's exactly what Tom is.
>pseud
>essay on pretense and shallow thought
Irony is lost on you...but that's ok: school's out for tha summer, amirite?

>outlining ironic circumstances somehow means that the irony is lost on you
You compensating for something, kid?

Uh-oh! The poster above me is buttflustered! And he still hasn't clued in to his ironic tone-deafness......
Lemme spell it out: using the term 'pseud' is an indicator of pseudo-intellectual thinking, at best; at worst, it shows yer a memeing troll. Either way, (You) are demonstrating how pretentious and shallow you are....

NOT CANON
O
T

C
A
N
O
N

But that's a good point, what trait did the ring amplify in men?

How can elves even compete?

>what trait did the ring amplify in men?
Whichever trait was the most corruptive.

>user considers this a refutation
The irony of you not recognizing irony is not lost on me.

if the ring was really corruptive it would have turned the Kings of Men into traps, not Ringwraiths

OH! You were just PRETENDING to be stupid? Well - why didn't you say so?

Dropping an obvious flag like
>kid
should have been an obvious reference for you, and dropping it in this way does not constitute "pretending" to be anything.

But what is the "just"?

The full description of the events is given in Unfinished Tales. Go read it.

It's Tolkien's own notes, how the fuck is it not canon? I'm sorry to ruin your fanfic theory, but it's not right.

As in, a memesmith of that calibre is nothing to scoff at sir. To me, "just" in that context implied "merely".

Wasn't what happened something along the lines of the ring abandoning Isildur? Like how it slipped off Gollums finger? How else would you explain the ring sinking to the bottom of the river?

No, that was movie narrative. The Ring ended up in the river, because Isildur died in the river and it sank with his corpse.

They also had to drive home the point in the movie the Ring is an entity in itself and that it should not be relied upon.

I thought corpses floated.

Wearing armour and clothing fucks with the flotation.

You can swim in armour. Dunno if that means you can float in it though.

You can also swim in clothing, but it will drag you down if you don't put in the effort. Armour is also a bunch of extra weight. So naturally you would sink if someone shot you to death with arrows.

I believe it's inspired in a Nord Mythology epic about greed or something

You guise

What would happen

If like

One of the Eagles wore the ring???

The eagles fly the Ring to Mordor.

Because shame in Tolkein's epistemology is due to social sanction and is the primary enforcer of moral behaviour, thus invisibility - going unseen from society's eye - frees one from social sanction due to one's action, frees one from shame, frees one from the neccesity of maintaining rightness of action.

And found america?

that was the effect of the nine rings that Sauron gave them, not of the One Ring

Dwarves apparently became greedier, but the rest of the other races couldn't tell.

Why do Dwarves have Scottish accents if they're so clearly Jewish?

I guess because Scotts and Jews are basically the same thing?

So, you weren't pretending....gotcha!

The Ring betrayed Isildur, not some elf trinket. Why do I even have to say this? Your head canon is trying to rewrite Tolkien...

>It's Tolkien's own notes, how the fuck is it not canon
Erm...by not being IN THE CANON? You should know what words mean before you use them. "Notes" and "canon" are not equivalent words.

Good post.

Do you have any actual criticism, or is memetic parody all you can manage?

It's still butthurt - can't make this up.

>gotta deflect, it's all I've got
>butthurt, haha, BTFO

Nah, it's just magic, mate.

It's a terrible post. It doesn't answer anything.

>Ring of Gyges by Plato.
This, plus there's an item that makes people invisible in the Nibelungelied, a story in which a ring happens to be a big deal.

Isildur's death was not described in any of your "canon" works. Still, Tolkien had a clear idea what happened to him and he wrote it down. I think he and his son are more qualified to decide what's canon than you are.