Height variance and environment

I have been meaning to get into this idea. Considering that Nordic Europeans tend to be quite tall and Mediterraneans on the shorter end and Northern Chinese(and I guess Asians) tend to be taller than southern, , is height variance between groups of people influenced evolutionary by the physical environment some how? Mainly the climate? Nutrition/diet taken into account of course. Can it be mostly cultural diet from childhood? For example, most East Asians are lactose intolerant and milk protein is a easy source of protein for height. Asians get their protein from other sources besides soy though no? Also, I think it is safe to realize that not all Black Africans are tall though how much of it is due to nutritional deficiency is hard to say. A decent percentage of the population is also lactose and tolerant though. Can there be some link between climate and height or lactose and tolerance and height or both?

Other urls found in this thread:

ourworldindata.org/human-height/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>height variance and environment
There may be some dependence, but remember
there are many other confounding variables,
mainly those resulting from culture.

I guess what I am trying to say is, can the genetic variances in height be a purely due to adaptation to a physical environment/ climate or is it related to diet(due to cultural and genetic differences in what people eat and can eat/digest)?

Do you think the genetic variances we see( some 60-50%) could be an adaptation that people have for example, to the climate? I guess I'm stuck on on the fact people from the northern regions tend to be taller.
But this map of lactose in tolerance kind of lines up with the differences in height variance we see in the world, too. Consider that an easy source of protein for growth in kids who have been weened is cow/other mammalian milk.
Could one or both of these be the missing link in heritable height differences?

ourworldindata.org/human-height/
Nutrition and environment probably are more important than even genetics barring people with growth disorders.
The only reason Asians are still shorter is because we are getting taller at the same rate.

Running down things to eat because you are too stupid to farm or make long distance weapons can be a huge factor in passing on your lanky genes in some places.

Hey welcome to the thread /pol/.

Prosperity is a pretty good measure for predicting height within groups.

Is this supposed to be English? I don't understand what you're saying but, the only nutrients most important to height growth is protein. Less protein is found in farmed crops than meat and milk. Milk is the easiest source of protein even for the poor. You just need a couple of female cows/goats.
It doesn't answer my question though.

>Less protein is found in farmed crops than meat
Asian countries have a more vegetarian diet which could explain their differences from western countries.

You have no idea what you're taking about. (Or, is that post bait?)

Height is a social construct. I identify as 6'10" and I'll take you to court if you mis-height me.

Not him, but i culture includes what you eat, than it would be reasonable for that to contribute to height. Caloric intake is one factor to height (Of populations, not individuals necessarily)

>Lactose and tolerant

Probably not, inuits are short and nilotics are tall.

In hs bio class we were taught that the height difference was due to the heat.
As you get taller your volume grows in O(n3) while your surface grows only in O(n2)
You have more mass if you have more volume and with mire mass you generate more heat
With more surface you give off more heat
In colder climates you want to conserve heat hence you want more mass compared to your surface
In warmer climates you want the opposite

You're an idiot and that wasn't funny. It just shows you lack of understanding of the concept of constructivism. Good day, brainlet.

kek sorry. It was late and I was on my phone when I made this.
>inb4 phone poster
Sue me.

Might as well plot a map of income inequality...

So perhaps it is mostly diet though related to genetics in terms of lactose intolerance as milk is an easy protein protein source in early childhood? That and a less carnivorous life style/culture for the average person in specific populations. If it is genetic, perhaps natural selection did play a role with the climate if is correct.

There is also the possibility of genetic drift, but that is lame and I clearly hope it's not the case.

Interesting, especially when you look at China and Germany. Where is South Korea's line though?
Can the reason also point to population changes though? I know China went through many a ethnic shift with changing dynasties. particularly, when the Mongols took over.