Why would people need to brush their teeth? Sure you can show me examples of bad teeth from lack of brushing...

Why would people need to brush their teeth? Sure you can show me examples of bad teeth from lack of brushing, but these are just examples of people who have been allowed to devolve a genetic defect. It doesn't make sense that if evolution is true, we would evolve the need to brush our teeth.

Other urls found in this thread:

nidcr.nih.gov/OralHealth/OralHealthInformation/ChildrensOralHealth/ToothDecayProcess.htm
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selection_shadow
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disposable_soma_theory_of_aging
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

people eat a lot more sugar and other teeth-rotting shit than they used to

what happens to your body in old age is not very relevant to genetic fitness
is also true, humans didn't evolve for agriculture

>genetic fitness stops being relevant to evolution once you reach a certain age
>evolution stops once you reach a certain era in human history
People like this are allowed to get degrees.

If evolution is true, why aren't we immune to all diseases?
Because bacteria evolve too. We're in a never-ending arms race.
The sugar is just a food supply for the microbes which make the cavities. Those microbes secrete acid.
nidcr.nih.gov/OralHealth/OralHealthInformation/ChildrensOralHealth/ToothDecayProcess.htm

That's like asking "if evolution is true, why don't gazelles always escape predators?"

>That's like asking "if evolution is true, why don't gazelles always escape predators?"
only if you're stupid enough not to appreciate the question in the first place
To correct your presumptuous and false analogy, it's like asking "Every animal on earth always escapes ailment, so why don't gazelles?" i.e. other animals don't need to brush their teeth; why should humans? The only answer so far is "more sugar," so what about people who eat healthy, unprocessed foods? hmm?

I meant "If evolution is true, why haven't perfect solutions evolved?"
Evolution IS true, but perfection is rare. Evolution only "strives" (pardon the anthropomorphization) for "good enough" to survive and pass on genes.

Sugar is definitely bad. Before it was cheap (and there was a time when it was VERY expensive. Before sugar beets and sugar cane, practically the only source was honey) people still had tooth decay. Really bad tooth decay!
The breakthrough came when it was noticed that the inhabitants Deaf Smith County Texas had MUCH better teeth than neighboring counties with similar populations, lifestyles, diets, etc. Turned out that Deaf Smith had high levels of fluoride in the soil and, therefore, in the water and food.

Incidentally, animals do need to "brush". If you own a dog, you probably use dog toothbrushes and toothpaste or give treats which "scrub".

So you're saying populations can still be fit with prevalent tooth decay, yet you believe mongols evolved because some people got sand in their eye? Show me a gazelle with bad teeth. Are people going out innawoods with their alleged doggy-toothbrushes and preventing gazelle cavities/

>People like this are allowed to get degrees.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selection_shadow

>So you're saying populations can still be fit with prevalent tooth decay, yet you believe mongols evolved because some people got sand in their eye?

Your teeth don't have to last 100 years; They just have to last long enough for your to pass on your genes.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disposable_soma_theory_of_aging

>Show me a gazelle with bad teeth.

shut the fuck up and stop roleplaying. no one gives a fuck about the shitty opinions you just pulled out of your ass.

t. person so existentially insecure he gets openly butthurt at anything that could even remotely be interpreted as questioning evolution

Do you even get the basic ideas of evolution? user is right, after procreation your genetic ancestry doesn't matter anymore.

You're equivocating ancestry and knowledge of ancestry. Kill yourself, brainlet.

We discus after your evo undergrad course.

We discus after your logic 101 course

I see, apperently you're functionally retarded. Sorry dude.

>functionally
Guess again, idiot.

He obviously means that evolution hasn't caught up to our current state of arguculture you brainlet, how are YOU allowed to get a degree? You can't even understand the meaning of a simple sentence.

>there hasn't been any evolution in 12,000 years
>animals don't need to brush their teeth because they can't grow their own food and starve to death before they have to worry about cavities
You lot are retarded.

you don't NEED to brush your teeth, but they'll become extremely calcified if you don't. look at the teeth of old animals

A person only really "needs" to be able to stay alive long enough to have some kids and raise them until they can be independent. So really, the body only needs to be in working condition unto your 30s or so. Anything more than that is just bonus to help have more kids or raise grandchildren.

So with that in mind, teeth do pretty well without brushing. Well into your 50s, even if you completely neglect your teeth you'll probably have plenty of teeth left to eat with. Even if you lose all your teeth and just have gums, you can still eat food, it's just a bit more difficult.

tl;dr, human bodies are designed to fail slowly, not to last forever

Don't EVEN get me started on flouride.

First off define truth

Evolution is true to the reference frame it is built for

you made me remember pic again

How much of an autist do you need to be to not infer his meaning here? Additionally your grievances are literally just incorrect as humans indeed didnt evolve for modern agriculture and it is true that, in the context we are speaking, what happens post procreation is irrelevant.

>Thinking the evolution that has taken place in the 200 years since industrialization is relevant to the preceding thousands on the same stimulus.
>Thinking that if a species typically procreates at year x but on average develops dental problems around year x+5 its relevant to the success of the species

Math autists need to stop posting in biology threads without doing some fucking research.

if evolution is so smart why hasnt any animal evolved wheels to get around, its more efficient. checmate retards