PH

Why does everyone assume 0-7 is much worse, dangerous, bad for you etc than 7-14? Why does the word "acidic" set their panties on fire?

Other urls found in this thread:

chemguide.co.uk/physical/acidbaseeqia/kw.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It doesn't

Cause they're all basic bitches and acid will make them salty.

To an average person, an extremely reactive alkaline substance would also just be called an acid. It doesn't matter that it's scientifically incorrect terminology; to your typical pleb, if it's a liquid that makes a hole in the floor then it's an acid.

I guarantee OP is 15 yo and who just finished up chem I.

bases are more worse towards flesh than acids i heard

Because nobody connects anything to the other side. As this guy said, if something makes holes/eats matter very fast, you immideately think acid. You don't think whether it's acidic or alkaline or whatever. It's not important, because the term "acid" tells you "a dangerous substance", not "lower than 7 ph".

why do some people assume perhaps you before you got learnt

underrated

Not true, corrosive is the other word and it rather common.

The pH scale is in a log scale.
An acid that has a pH scale of 3 is 10x more acidic than an acid that has a pH scale of 4.

>bases are more worse towards flesh than acids i heard

False. Acids and bases are just on the different sides of the spectrum

>Some acid facts

- An acid with a pH of 6.5 won't kill you. Neither does a base with pH of 8.5

- Anything that has a pH of 0 or 14 can and will kill you.

- Gastric acid has a pH of 1.5 to 3.5, that's why cells in your stomach reproduce faster than any other cells in your body.

To a normie (i.e. a normal person) acids are more harmful than bases because of their own connotations. They may have thought of a "base" as a safe zone or a safe haven, a camp where they can rest. Other than the word acid that is straight up connotative to house cleaning products, which are poisonous.

why the hell is it 0-14 anyway?

Something regarding the average ionization potential of water or some shit. Google k_w

Underrated

Yooo, I'm the user who just replied to you, this helps if you care about it

chemguide.co.uk/physical/acidbaseeqia/kw.html

pH can be negative. I've handled (and spilled) 12M HCl that's -1.08

>pH
Negative pH? Did that mean that the chemical has more electrons than protons?

No it has nothing to so with formal charges. A negative pH is just the Extension of the scale because there are still acids with lead to a higher proton concentration (pH).
If you know how to calculate pH values you'll see that negative pH is nothing uncommon.

And also if something would have more Electrons than Protons it would be difficult to Act as a Bronsted-Acid (donating protons) as ist would get even more negatively charged -> (in Most cases also) less stable.

because superheros are always falling into it

In general bases are worse for skin and eyes bc your body can handle acids better.
For example your skin has a fatty acid mantle with a pH of 4 to 6.5 therefore bases are usually worse bc they neutralize the mantle and allow the substances to go deeper. Especially for your eyes basic substances, even at lower concentration are really dangerous.

But the danger usually does not come from the ions that define the pH scale the danger is often coming from the counter-ion of the handled acid/base so e.g. just having a pH 3 does not necessary tell you its less dangerous than something with a pH of 2.

Because movies and television always paint acid as this horrible thing. Look at "Alien," for instance.

> Anything that has a pH of 0 or 14 can and will kill you

that's false. If you spill something like NaOH on your skin or H2SO4 wont kill you at all so just considering the pH of something to define it's danger is not the right way.
If you drink them and they start dissolving important body organs, yes then it has the potential to kill you.
If they get into your blood and start raising or lowering the pH, yes then it will most definetly kill you.

>[...]cleaning products, which are poisonous

poisonous =/= corrosive
something that is corrosive is usually less dangerous than something poisonous bc it destroys cells locally but poisonous substances get distributed around your whole body and have a systemic effect.

To your first point, clearly he was exaggerating. Thanks for pointing out the obvious. To your second point, cleaning products largely work on acid/base reactions, so they still fall under what he was referring to. Quit trying to nitpick just for the sake of nitpicking.

I actually think that this is correct.

The distribution of poison across the body is rather variable according to the type of contact. Suppose poison ivy for example.

A+

>clearly he was an idiot
FTFY
>cleaning products largely work on acid/base reactions
...except when they are surfactants.
Lrn2cleaning fgt pls

>Why does the word "acidic" set their panties on fire?
Why does every "independent thinker" think the masses are brainless "sheeple"?

To a normie acid is something that can boil and spray you in the eyes if you dilute it with water in wrong order while base is something that goes into clogged shitter.

>False. Acids and bases are just on the different sides of the spectrum

Not correct in terms of corrosion of living tissue. See colliquative and coagulative necrosis.

Nigga high pH will still hurt you.
Stick your hand in some oven cleaner and tell me how you feel after 5 minutes.

t. independent thinker trying to cope with his past

Because 99% of the human have no clue what pH is.

>"I took Chemistry 1" the post

Best post in this shit thread.