Now that the dust has settled

Which major is actually easier, Information Technology or Computer Science?

Other urls found in this thread:

theory.cs.princeton.edu/complexity/book.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

there's no difference.

That's bullshit because the college I'm looking at classifies CS as an actual science while IT an applied science (whatever that means).

Computer science is a branch of maths. If you're studying algorithms you have to do Big O calculations, if you're studying Turing machines you have to write proofs. (And if you're comparing implementations of programs or techniques then you might do scientific research using p-values.)

Software engineering/development is about all the work that goes into delivering a program; documentation, testing, communicating with clients etc.

IT is about being generally knowledgeable about computers, so you would study a bit of CS and a bit of soft eng.

I find that writing code is easier than writing proofs, so I would argue that IT is easier than CS.

On the other hand IT can include information theory, which is a rather theoretical subset of probability.
Similarly, many universities only teach programming in CS.

Depends on the university, really. Both majors are too broad to generalize.

but that's retarded because the college I'm looking at classifies IT as a real science but CS as humanities

It doesn't require math so yeah it is easier

IT you only need certs let's face it. Way easier

>CS as humanities

What weird ass college do you go to?

Okay... which one will guarantee you a job right out of college?

Which one pays better?

And which one is more worthy of your time?

>Computer science is a branch of maths.
HAHAHAHAHAHAH

*inhales*

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

>being a living meme

IT, it's the major for cs kids that couldn't pass calculus 1 after 4 attempts.

Yo, just cause I'm black, yall think I ain't gonbe able to get myself a degree in neither one of them computer majors? Yall tryna be racist caus you white folk with your success in them fields don't want them black niggas up in your computer labs?

Yo I just tryna succeed with my self on goin to college ana just want to know which computer degree would be better for my situation like nigga I ain't tryna be a bich nigga ya know. So please just tell me which one to go wit cause I ain't tryna go in and drop out cause iss hard.

Do IT if you cannot do math for your life

Have you even read a theoretical CS book?

I'm speaking as someone with 2 degrees in math and pursuing a PhD

Have you?

Well the thing is, math isn't hard for me, it just needs to be taught well. Bad teachers = me not understanding (at least from what I remember during high school).

I read Arora-Barak. theory.cs.princeton.edu/complexity/book.pdf

>bad teachers
Have fun with 90% of your undergrad math classes being taught by chink grad students who can barely speak English

This sounds like an excuse. A real shitty one too.

Information Technology doesn't deal with any of the theoretical and mathematical stuff that Computer Science deals with.

Depends on the university and what you find "easier" personally.