Veeky Forums can't solve this

You guys think you're so clever, but you can't even solve this simple problem. But go on, I'll give you a chance- don't be brainlets and mess it up.

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.xkcd.com/2008/09/09/the-goddamn-airplane-on-the-goddamn-treadmill/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

no

Oh, you won. Well done then.

>posting paradox to bait replies out of brainlets

I wasn't answering the question

>Veeky Forumstards are actually so stupid they think a problem for 4 year olds amounts to "bait" or a "paradox"

Here's Chris Langan's response, the man with the highest IQ in the world.

I suppose it means the conveyor speed tracks -1x the speed the wheels' axes relative to the ground? This exerts a force on the wheels' ground patches. When the plane engines are thrusting the the plane will move forward, the conveyor will move 'backward' relative to the ground, this pushes the wheels contact patches backward but the wheels can spin so unless the wheels have a lot of friction at 2x takeoff velocity, the plane takes off with a little extra thrust due to the conveyor induced drag

The plane crashes cause you can't take off with a 20 foot runway.

No it can't.

Y-y-yes it can r-right guys??

read the question

Wow I wish I was this smart.

of course, the wheels will spin 2x faster though

No. Planes fly because the air passing over the wings moves at a different speed than the air passing under the wings. If the plane is stationary relative to the air (which would always be the case in that picture), then the speeds are both 0, so there's no lift generated by the wings.

t. Wrote a report on planes 5 years ago in high school engineering.

>Planes fly because the air passing over the wings moves at a different speed than the air passing under the wings.
Lol, brainlet detected.

I wish I were****

I don't get why people seem to think planes are powered through their wheels
They have jet engines, meaning the contact with the ground doesn't really matter, since the wheels are free to spin.
The plane takes off just as it would on a normal runway, and as said, the wheels spin twice as fast

Overthinking and autism combined

He's such a pretentious arshole and this is coming from an Ashkenazi, with Asperger's, with an IQ of 145. So yeah, he's so shockingly pretentious, that it is even patently obvious to a sperg like me.

He really likes the word:
>respectively
I thought a limited vocabulary was a sign of low IQ?

>Planes fly because the air passing over the wings moves at a different speed than the air passing under the wings

The condition "to match the speed of the wheels" is not possible even with some non-static friction between the wheels and the belt, because without this, if the wheels are at a non-zero speed v, then as b, the belt, achieves v, the wheels will have accelerated as much. Given the friction between plane and wheels is not static, it shouldn't increase with speed. The belt achieves v without changing the speed of the wheels if the non-static friction is null. If not, then v will increase as long as there is a positive difference between b+v and v, so the belt won't be able to maintain that matching speed. The belt however can maintain the plane at a same position just given there is friction between the plane and it's wheels, which is probably what the retarded author intended to say as a condition.

He's really bad at getting to the point, he loses himself, he's not really that smart I think. I feel sorry for him.

What is this retardation?
How the hell is the plane supposed to take off when the only reason the wheels are there is
to generate momentum which will allow it to generate the
necessary air pressures above and below the wing to take off.
If the plane sits still then obviously it won't fucking take off.
The wheels have nothing to do with the actual physics of lift, they're just
there as glorified bearings to allow the plane to speed up on ground.
There are planes with fucking rails instead of wheels, it's not the
speed of the wheels, it's the pressures that matter in determining whether it can take off or not.

Wheels allow the plane to more easily gain momentum, they don't generate it.

>Paradox
Of course the Wojak edit posters are actually retarded. Lift comes from airflow and there's no airflow in this problem. Literally a babby tier problem.

Shit, my bad, I meant to say that they assist with **easier generation of momentum by decreasing friction and other opposing forces.

read the question, it's different from the usual one

the wheels will accelerate to infinite speed, explode and send the plane flying

Plane wheels aren't powered. All thrust is generated by the engines. The plane takes off.

Imagine you running on a thread mill, do you run off?

Nigger there's no goddamn air flowing over those wings. Do you know what lift is?

What makes you say that? There are clearly engines on the wings.

A plane flies because of lift, a phenomenon that occurs due to the shape of an airfoil travelling through a medium. Lift is a function of the wing velocity relative to the mass of air they are in. There's no lift in this case and therefore no vertical forces involved at all. The plane will not take off.

Consider this: the air moves and the wing stays stationary. Maybe there is less lift being generated because the plane's not moving forward but there is lift. Idk if it's enough to have the plane take off. Harriers are the only jets that can take off without a runway ircc.

I'm not sure what you think plane engines do, but they are not responsible for lift. They accelerate the plane to a high enough horizontal velocity that lift due to airflow over the wings overcomes the force of gravity on the plane. This is why planes take off from runways.

Unless what you're trying to get at here is the column of air blown over the wings by the engines themselves, in which case there is no engine in existence that can provide the power needed to generate flight capable lift from that extremely small area of the wing that experiences the slipstream from the engines.

The question is horribly ambiguous.

(You) are a brainlet. Stop posting. blog.xkcd.com/2008/09/09/the-goddamn-airplane-on-the-goddamn-treadmill/